Feb 11, 2016
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030
Minelab Etrac
Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay I have had my Ctx since February. I am getting pretty good with it. But since not detecting here now in the winter in Pennsylvania. I have been reading about how better headphones make a big difference. I use the stock headphones and have a pair of jolly Rodgers. But I want to buy the best headphones possible. From what I have been reading it is the Killer B’s.
But they make several pair. Just wondering which ones to buy? I put an email to where I bought my detector but have not heard back. What kind do you guys like?

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a pair of Killer B's and love them, but, they are just about worn out, going on 3 years now. I have a pair of Sunray Pro Golds as a back up, I just don't like them as much as the Killer B's.Next pair of Killer B's I'm going to buy will be the Killer B Wasps. I've also been using a CTX since Feb. was using the Etrac before that, I like the way the B's sound and they have plenty of volume.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both KillerBs and Sunray pro golds. I much prefer the audio from the Sunrays but the KillerBs are good too. My set of KBs are 10 years old, so that could be part of the reason I prefer the sunrays, maybe the speakers have gotten damaged.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Grey Ghost Amphibians on my 3030.

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use the grey ghost standard on mine with the wireless module. They are great, but they do get hot in mid summer. One of the great things about aftermarket headphones is sealing out outside noise, well it seals in heat too.

OP
OP
S

slick356

Feb 11, 2016
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030
Minelab Etrac
Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. So it’s between the Sun rays and the killer B’s.
If I go with the Killer B’s. Which one of the 4 models are the best

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. So it’s between the Sun rays and the killer B’s.
If I go with the Killer B’s. Which one of the 4 models are the best

I, too, highly recommend the SunRay Pro's. I like them so much that I use them with all of my detectors. The only issue is the pads seem to wear out in about 2 years and after 8 hours of use they sometimes can make you feel like you've been in a headlock all day, lol. But they really drown out the sound and are "weather proof", meaning, they can withstand a LIGHT drizzle. They are the best sounding headphones I've ever owned.

The Grey Ghosts are probably the most comfortable headphones I own for the CTX (Both standard and waterproof) but the sounds don't sound nearly as good to me as the Sun Ray Pros. I cant comment on the killer B's as I've never owned them.

OP
OP
S

slick356

Feb 11, 2016
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030
Minelab Etrac
Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to order a pair like right now of course but makes no sense since the ground is frozen. I will check out the sun rays. If I just google a type of headphone everyone claims that their brand they make is the best.
I will just keep listening to your guys comments.
Thanks for helping me

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to order a pair like right now of course but makes no sense since the ground is frozen. I will check out the sun rays. If I just google a type of headphone everyone claims that their brand they make is the best.
I will just keep listening to your guys comments.
Thanks for helping me

Thats because all the well-known aftermarket headphones work well. It all comes down to tone reproduction (and the users ability to hear those tones), comfort, cord style preference, etc. In the end, as long they make a loud enough sound and stay where you put them they are going to work.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing beats untethered . Love the Deus wireless headphones ...however CTX wireless module accomplishes a similar thing.Never the less the cord does get in the way..That being said I do love my SunRays.

I also second Grey Ghosts amphibians if you plan on doing water detecting with your CTX. SunRay Gold are great
UNLESS you drop em in water. There really is no great set of headphones with dual purpose for both land & Water.

B45286E3-FBE9-4EBE-9260-2E9493761022.jpeg

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hearing is a very personal subject. Everyone has different sensitivities to different ranges. Older folks usually have some loss in certain freq ranges as well. Best if you can try before you buy of course, but in addition to all the normal aftermarket brands folks will recommend, quality headphones sold for music aficionados will work well too.

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There’s a YouTube video showing the sounds of different types of headphones, might be worth a look

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, a Hearing aid that tunes to your detector and Is submersible, no more sweating in the summer and can be used detecting underwater..

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was using headphones plugged into the wireless module- but grew tired of the cable down my back to the box.

I recently bought the new Wireless
Bluetooth grey ghost ctx headphones and have been happy with them.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting, DeepDigs. I'll look for that. Have a link, by chance?

Steve

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting, DeepDigs. I'll look for that. Have a link, by chance?

Steve

I was mistaken - the video was for the XP Deus - BUT - alot of these manufacturers make headphones for multiple styles of detectors, and the construction is the same from one brand to the other. Still worth a watch:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AHHH, ok. For the Deus.

Still interesting. I will check it out...

Thanks!

Steve

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever hear of Harold’s Headphones?
This gentleman is in Florida and is a detectorist that started making headphone for the CTX.
No web site , just word of mouth.
Anyone have any info?
BT

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever hear of Harold’s Headphones?
This gentleman is in Florida and is a detectorist that started making headphone for the CTX.
No web site , just word of mouth.
Anyone have any info?
BT
He makes nice HP is what I heard and that is from owners of the headphones.

WisconsinPirate

Aug 2, 2017
Racine, Wi
Detector(s) used
EQ600; Makro MK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the grey ghost amphibian. Overall OK having some static issues every now and then. Not the connection and not sure what it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread