cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better than what and doing what?

OP
OP
S

slick356

Feb 11, 2016
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030
Minelab Etrac
Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ohhh sorry. For overall use. I use the stock 11 inch coil for general detecting of course unless I use the 6 inch in heavy trash or 17 inch in large open areas with little trash.
So I guess the question is: is the coil tek 10x5 better than the stock 11 inch coil?

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me the biggest advantage to the 10 x 5 is the fact that you can use it in corn fields, forests, tall grass, and it won't get caught up because it's a closed coil.

I picked mine up at the end of last season, so I don't really have any play time with it yet.

I'm also under about 5000' of snow (possible slight exaggeration), but I won't be able to try it out for at least another month or two.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For general hunting, I like the stock coil best, unless as Geobound mentioned, you're hunting in stubble. or tight areas.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 3 Minelab coils for my Ctx. Is it worth buying the Coil Tek 10x5? Is it any better?

I sold my Coiltek 10x5" due to it being too sensitive in the areas I hunt. I couldn't get mine to normalize on target ID no matter what mode I ran in, nor would ground balancing help.

The areas I typically hunt are low-mid mineralization, with mild to moderate trash. I found the 6" to be more stable, especially on item identification. Also - the 6" has surprisingly good depth, very comparable to the 11" in my site conditions.

In my opinion and for my hunting conditions, it didn't work for me. It might work better for you if you hunt in stubble or high grass areas, and if your site conditions are different than mine.

OP
OP
S

slick356

Feb 11, 2016
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030
Minelab Etrac
Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info guys. That coil seems to get mixed reviews from everyone. I was hoping that there was a better coil overall that I could replace the stock 11 inch coil with.
I had an Etrac for one year and changed the stock coil out with the NelHunter. It was just plain better.
So with it being winter I am just looking to improve or upgrade the Ctx and be ready for spring

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've tested both for Kellyco and the bottom line is that having both is a dynamite combination. The 11" for general use and the 5x10 for trashy or more restrictive areas. I look at it this way, the 5x10 is more comparable in terms of useful purpose to the Minelab 6" than the 11"...i.e. not a replacement for the 11."

Just the view from my foxhole...

OP
OP
S

slick356

Feb 11, 2016
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030
Minelab Etrac
Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always tough to to decide then. Never a simple hell yes that coil is superior use it instead of the stock coil.
Lol.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always tough to to decide then. Never a simple hell yes that coil is superior use it instead of the stock coil.
Lol.

Agreed.... They really help in corn fields and or wooded area where you can fit that coil in places others wont physically fit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread