IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 of the best “deep coin hunters” made. Used properly,they apparently CAN do well on relics,but most people seem to favor something really fast around iron. Personally I’ve done VERY well with the CTX in ALL scenarios. Others have done well with the eTrac also. I personally endorse the CTX...:icon_thumleft:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used both extensively. For performance, the E-Trac is almost as good as the CTX. The CTX has a slight edge on depth and is more stable in target ID, it's also heavier than the E-trac but the ergonomics makes sooooo much easier to swing for long hours. I dearly loved my E-Trac but I couldn't swing it for long without a harness or my arm would give out.

If you are just looking at cost for performance, go with the E-Trac. If being waterproof is valuable, then go with the CTX. If you even THINK that long hours of swinging could bother your arm/elbow/wrist/shoulder then go with the CTX.

Beavertail

Nov 24, 2013
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, minelab equinox 800, e-trac,xterra 305, xterra 705, coiltek wot 7.5-18.75 kHz.
I have both. The E-trac is a great machine but in all honesty I never use it anymore. My CTX will outwork the E-trac in every scenario.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What Beavertail said X2 :)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Jason.

An hour of swinging the Etrac and my elbow would hurt so bad I'd give up. So I sold the Etrac and moved to the CTX. Due to ergonomics, though it is heavier than the Etrac, I can swing the CTX for hours.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came from an AT Pro to a CTX and thought that weight would be an issue, but find it every bit as comfortable to swing as far as weight goes.

I've not used an E-trac, but love my CTX.

The one thing that I would consider looking at would be the Equinox if I wanted to save a few bucks, and didn't need things like dual target ID separation and GPS?

Just a thought.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The CTX 3030 main points are faster recovery, wireless and waterproof. At least the main points I care about. Does seem to be a bit deeper because it locks on to targets much better at depth.

Not to mention better balance for less fatigue as was mentioned.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Own both and have put the time in with both. The ergonomics of the CTX is a winning feature over the ETrac, the bells and whistles as the GPS side of the CTX has never been used (waste of money-but just my own opinion)
Target separation it has to go to the CTX over the ETrac. This was proven at one small roadside park I hunted well with the SE, then the ETrac till the coin targets were almost depleted. I would say a two hour hunt might give me a couple of pennies.
In came the CTX and the park produced another 25 silvers and a couple of hundred coins. Sounds pretty weird having that many targets go undetected with the ETrac doesn't it? 90%+ of all were in with a nail, or bottle caps or a tab, or all three items with a coin. So target separation is what impressed me with using the CTX.
I'd like to try it again with the Deus, but haven't had the time or the passion to dig bottle caps and tabs that the Deus loves to sound off on. That and this little park isn't on a well travelled route that it once was, so other sites take president over this one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread