Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So, I am at the beach right now and thought that I had the water in the battery housing delt with after I got the 2.5mm thick orings. Any of u guys have any idea how water can still get it? The clamps were nice and tight, oring seated correctly, I put a big rubber band around the housing so the clamps would not pop out. I also have the protector neoprene cover that covers the machine from the battery to the grip. I had the same thing happened last weekend with the gray oring so that is why I bought the thicker one. If you guys have any experience with this kind of stuff that keeps happening I am all ears. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1532877887.995996.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1532878151.422093.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1532879229.806974.jpg

So, comparing the battery I had on the CTX that keeps getting water in it is the one on the right. I bought it brand new a few months ago. The one on the left is the older one that came with the machine when I bought it. Now when I compare the two batteries. The one on right, the new one with water in it , I noticed the outer edge is missing few pieces or is that just the way they make them now

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandscoopdan

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
So, a quick update in case anyone is interested. I put the original older Li-Ion Battery pack back onto the CTX and no leaks. When I got home I rinsed with fresh running water and then dried off machine and then took off the older Li-Ion battery pack and not a drop of water. So I looked at the two different battery packs and I can see a difference in shape around where the oring the battery housing. Anyone figured out what type of Li-Ion battery pack to buy based on age or something? Also, I cannot get the two alkaline battery packs to work at all. CTX will not turn on with alkaline so I thought maybe some of you have experienced this. Do I need to buy specific alkaline batteries or has anyone experienced using rechargeable ones in The alkaline pack that I read about in the manual?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I am just now seeing your thread.

On the AA, make sure the batteries are in properly, the negative is always on the springs. It sounds like the AA are not in correctly.

There should be no missing parts on the lip that goes around the battery, if there is then it will leak and I would use the gray sand gasket the 2.5 your using you have to stretch to get it on and is not a good fit. The new batteries have a hard rubber lip that you can mash with your finger nail, the old batteries had a hard plastic lip. In picture you provided I can't see the missing piece your talking about.

OP
OP
Sandscoopdan

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
So an update on this. I did some experimenting at home. Practicing taking battery pack off and oring off and then seating oring and putting the battery pack back on the CTX. Then dunked into water (each time without turning machine on) and then dried off completely, took battery pack off to check if water got in. No water in housing at all. I realized what I had been doing both times I took to the beach and got water in in. I did not check underneath - bottom side where battery pack seats onto housing. I never seated it correctly so water was getting in. I only looked at the top side and never saw the gap underneath. So if your new to the CTX and you want to take it in the water. Practice first at home without turning machine on and make sure the battery pack is seated evenly all the way around from top to bottom. I am a slow learner but I hope some of you can learn from my mistake.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI, you have to physically seat the battery before closing the clamps. If you just use the clamps to seat the battery it does not properly seat the battery on the bottom. Also the o-ring your using is not designed to be stretched and it is not a Minelab approved o-ring.

If you send your 3030 in to the repair shop under warranty be sure you put the gray sand gasket in or they may not honor the warranty.

OP
OP
Sandscoopdan

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
I bought the CTX when it was already out of warranty. I put the updated grey oring back on and yea, your right- seating the battery pack before clamping is the correct way. For some reason I must have overlooked that it the book and also overlooked that there are two different sides to the grey oring. A lot of details but I am getting them figured out. Thank you for your input.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread