Coiltek 14 x 9 vs Minelab 17" comparison question & thoughts

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like many of us, I suspect, I wonder if there will be an upgraded model to the 3030 and if so, will the CTX coils be exchangeable with it?

I have the CTX as well as the three minelab coils, and am curious about the Coiltek 14 x 9 & it's value to me working on land compared to the 17" I already have. I won't likely be using it in the water, I'm an amputee and my prosthetic probably isn't well suited to being submerged, so my interest is using it on land. I've looked for comparisons between the two but haven't found any reviews to help me with this. I read a blog by Gary Drayton where it fits well in underwater persuits but it didn't address land hunting.

To me an elephant in the room is spending money on an expensive coil which, if Minelab relaeses an upgrade to the CTX or NOX and the coils don't fit, buying the coiltek would end up being an expensive loss as I will certainly get the new 4040 or whever they would call it. If the coils would be exchangeable, there's no concern o'course, but with no info on anything upgrade, much less coil compatability, it's limbo.

However, I am interested in comparisons for that coiltek and where it fits in with the minelab coils on land searches. Any good links or personal experience to share?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've tested both and in my environment (Florida) I found the 14x9 was no more effective (depth and sensitivity) than the standard 11" coil...and it is much heavier than I feel it should be. The 17" coil will obviously cover more ground but creates a nose heavy situation on the CTX. Depth is increased by a small margin but the sensitivity advantage goes to the stock 11" coil.

Bottom line for me and me only, I saw no real advantage in either over the stock 11" coil that would warrant replacing the stock coil. I now use the stock coil augmented by the 6" coil for my CTX.

Just the view from my foxhole...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread