Mineralization

winken

Mar 27, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500 fisher 1266x ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m wondering how people determine the mineralization of the soil they are detecting in. If the ctx is working erratically do you check the sensitivity or do a noise cancel or whatever to get it under control, how do you determine or guess that it’s the soil and not something else. The handbook says operating in the correct target separation brings out the best in the ctx so if you have to detect in ground coin how is that determined. Just wondering :icon_scratch::BangHead:.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you please define "working erratically"? Doing a proper ground balance is the key to overcoming mineralization problems. I don't have a CTX, but with the EQ800 doing a noise cancel will pick the best frequency to minimize any EMI.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m wondering how people determine the mineralization of the soil they are detecting in. If the ctx is working erratically do you check the sensitivity or do a noise cancel or whatever to get it under control, how do you determine or guess that it’s the soil and not something else. The handbook says operating in the correct target separation brings out the best in the ctx so if you have to detect in ground coin how is that determined. Just wondering :icon_scratch::BangHead:.

You asked a great question.
Can a user depend solely on auto sensitivty level achieved while sweeping to determine ground mineralization? Don’t think so.

Watch this video I did. Used Etrac. CTX works similar I think.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CiWav6oUevA

Bobbing the coil after noise cancel over clean ground. If I saw auto Sens go to 10 or lower. Might be real good clue that particular soil is higher mineralization. Not medium or low. In the video above the soil is deemed medium minerlation. Three to 4 bars on fisher F75 mineralization index meter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
winken

winken

Mar 27, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey CoinHunter, sorry I guess it’s a hypothetical when I say “working erratically“ I’m just wondering how people determine the soil mineralization where they are detecting. As a rule do you ground balance at each site you detect? Ground balancing only helps the detector operate better in the soil you’re detecting, but gives no indication of soil mineralization. The ctx has 4 “target separation” settings and “knowing” the soil mineralization is a big factor in choosing the correct setting. This might be a dumb question altogether but it’s just how my brain works.

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch the “sensitivity “ numbers on the screen. If it’s getting down close to 10 you have some difficult soil and need to adjust. Your in IL so soil conditions are generally not too bad.
I noise cancel frequently , if the machine suddenly gets noisy NC, if your just standing still trying to figure which way your going to head next, NC. It never hurts .
If you make any sensitivity changes or other settings , NC
BT

OP
OP
winken

winken

Mar 27, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bigdob, yeah I’ll have to keep an eye on that sensitivity number. Man, I’ve only had my ctx for less than 2 months and I like it but there’s a lot to keep in mind while detecting, I’m still waiting for that ah ha moment. It’s good to have a forum like this to get other people’s inputs.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noise cancel is for EMI. It has nothing to do with ground mineralization.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You asked a great question.
Can a user depend solely on auto sensitivty level achieved while sweeping to determine ground mineralization? Don’t think so.

Watch this video I did. Used Etrac. CTX works similar I think.

Bobbing the coil after noise cancel over clean ground. If I saw auto Sens go to 10 or lower. Might be real good clue that particular soil is higher mineralization. Not medium or low. In the video above the soil is deemed medium minerlation. Three to 4 bars on fisher F75 mineralization index meter.

To find really clean ground turn up your threshold and listen for really clean ground. Some places it is hard to find really clean ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread