BATTERY/CHARGER ISSUE(S)

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My Li-Ion battery finally took a dump. So instead of being a $$ blower I decided to do the 20.00 DIY route and soldered in some new batteries. I ASSUME (We all know what that stands for) that I did it correctly. But first a small back story

My original battery wasn't holding a charge anymore. It's about 6+ yrs old so I assume it just croaked. I would have it on the charger and it would sit there for 24 hrs and never totally charge up. Then once or twice it appeared to. Throw it on the CTX and it would die in about 20 minutes even though it showed full...

That's when I did the DIY..

Threw the DIY on the charger and noticed that the lower green light was solid (good). The upper (battery) light was blinking.. so far so good. Went to bed w/it charging. Woke up.... still blinking.. Noticed it's blinking faster than other chargers I've seen on YouTube. It never fully charged (yet again)... charged enough to have the last red bar on the CTX.

Maybe I did a crap job on soldering but if i did the connection wouldn't be there at all. Now I assume it may be the charger...

With that said I'm thinking of getting either the charger or a battery BUT I'm reading that the charger now has to be the Version 4.... I have the version 3.... KellyCo has the batteries for 150.00... in the disclaimer it says you have to have a Version 4 charger.. WHATS THE FREAKING DIFFERENCE?????
If I buy a new battery I gotta buy a new version charger, If I get a charger will my battery work? ?? So now I gotta buy both..? WTHeck...

SO with that said, does anyone know if there truly is a difference in version 3 and 4 of the charger or is it some BS marketing ploy?

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No clue on the charger version. I did the DIY repack myself about 4 years ago with good Japanese lithium ion batteries and it works well. My charger is still the original one from when I bought the CTX in May 2012.

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
thx guys. So today I called kellyco and asked what the difference is between 1 li-ion battery for 160.00 vs 1 li-ion battery, a alkaline pack,and 3 orings for 125.00. She said the 125 is same battery and just a better deal. I then asked about the charger version difference. She said don't worry and why it says that is beyond her. Hmm
... so i bought the 125.00 kit and ill update if it charges. If not it's the charger obviously. At which point ill just have 2 good li-ion batteries and will need a new charger

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Got the battery last night. Threw it on the charger and right away saw that it was blinking green and correctly this time. Not fast blinking. Wemt to bed. Woke up to a solid green and a fully charged battery. Today was a good day....

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Good to be able to learn from your experience. I thought I was in the same boat earlier this week. I made a rare trip to the beach, got all set up, and went to turn on the CTX--Nothing. This had never happened to me.

It turns out that the battery had not charged because it hadn't been fully seated on the charger--it was a barely perceived difference. Also, I had ignored the still blinking green light, thinking that it was just a fluke.

When I got home and fully seated the battery on the charger, it charged just fine. But like you, my battery is 5-6 years old, so good to have a Plan B in mind.

Postscript: Thanks to your post, I just ordered the same $129 double battery deal from Kellyco. That seems like a great deal. Having a second battery on hand will pay off in the future, for sure.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread