How many of us out there in DE

geckokid

Aug 4, 2007
Delaware, USA
Detector(s) used
Eldorado
Jim DE said:
I would like to get a rough idea of how many DE MD'ers are out here? With the exception of the beaches I haven't seen another person detecting in 6-7 years on DE lands. Please chime in if you regularly detect in DE.

I am in Delaware, and Metal Detect in Delaware.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
me and my brother are from wilmington and we both detect. i have run into three others while out detecting. all of em were cool. we usually go real early in the morning though to avoid the goofy stares and comments. maybe we will see ya around sometime! ;)

OP
OP
J

Jim DE

Aug 26, 2007
Newark, DE
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Surfmaster PI Pro
I have the next 2 weeks off ....... You can bet I will be traveling south to the beaches for a couple of days of metal detecting after this long weekend ;)

OP
OP
J

Jim DE

Aug 26, 2007
Newark, DE
Detector(s) used
Geckokid....I know there are more than just these few but many may elect not to chime in or do not frequent this site. Heck I saw 5 at the beach last night..... :o

R

rich swanson

hello i just started about 3 weeks ago.ive hit 3 parks in the city for over 20 in clad/mostly quarters with a silver dime in there.im trying to learn to post pics.where do you guys detect?
rich

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
rich swanson said:
hello i just started about 3 weeks ago.Ive hit 3 parks in the city for over 20 in clad/mostly quarters with a silver dime in there.I'm trying to learn to post pics.where do you guys detect?
rich

which city? Wilmington parks are off limits, so I'm told by the parks department. you might get hassled if its one of their parks. state parks are also off limits except for the seashore state park as long as you stay east of the dune line. county parks are OK though (new castle county that is). me and my brother have hit most of the parks and public schools in the north wilmington area. i hear Banning park is a good one but i have yet to try there. good luck to you. ;)

R

rich swanson

i go to the city of wilmington parks early in the morning and nights and weekends/no city people are around/plenty of cops around that have not said anything/most of my finds are from the sand under the swingsets ect.

i work for a company that owns most of the valley/ever heard of woodlawn trustees?i have permission to search alot of old sites just havnt had the time yet/you from wilmington?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
rich swanson said:
i go to the city of wilmington parks early in the morning and nights and weekends/no city people are around/plenty of cops around that have not said anything/most of my finds are from the sand under the swingsets ect.

i work for a company that owns most of the valley/ever heard of woodlawn trustees?i have permission to search alot of old sites just havnt had the time yet/you from wilmington?

yup, im right at the foot of penny hill pretty much. woodlawn trustees huh? now that property has a lot of cool sites on it. i wrote a letter once to try to get permission but was denied. i am aware of 4 or 5 old sites that would probably be great on woodlawn property. me and my brother pretty much hit the county parks and public schools fairly regularly. there is still some good stuff out there but you have to work for it. my bro works for the U of D, and he is working on a few spots up there. hopefully one or two will pan out.

OP
OP
J

Jim DE

Aug 26, 2007
Newark, DE
Detector(s) used
Today, alone I saw one MD at the Fenwick Towers, one at Coin Beach, and 2 working Lewes Beach. I spend some time talking to the owner of the MD shop in Ocean View, DE waiting for the tide to fall. If you guys haven't been to his shop you need to because he is very informed on DE history and very willing to share his knowledge. He informed me of a shocking bit of information ......... 4000 shipwrecks are in DE waters and one of them is a Greek vessel unearthed during a early dredging operation in a lower DE river. Greek coins have been found in DE. Very interesting and informative.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
GREEK coins! that is interesting. i was aware of the swedes and the dutch being in the area but i never heard about any Greek visitors. interesting piece of info. god only knows whats in the bottom of the river! i have even heard stories of gold coins being stuffed into a cannon and dumped into the river by the continental army to avoid the british from getting them. did you ever see the shipwreck museum in Fenwick island? it really is an awesome place.

OP
OP
J

Jim DE

Aug 26, 2007
Newark, DE
Detector(s) used
He has got a bunch of books both new and old about DE and various shipwrecks. His personal photo album shows graphically support to his information he so willingly shares with fellow detectors. The only bad thing there is he is a minelab, garrett, and fisher dealer but only had 1 of the lower line minelab in stock for sale. He could use more detectors instock for immediate sale. Other than that it is a very nice and informative shop.

OP
OP
J

Jim DE

Aug 26, 2007
Newark, DE
Detector(s) used
Yeah, Greek coins. Think about the meaning of that to American History taught in our Elem Schools. We have all heard about Columbus and sometimes they even mention Viking coastal exploration but I haven't heard anything about Greek exploration of our coast but the support documentation he has does back up the Greek Vessel find in my mind without a doubt.

Man I enjoy this MD activity and the people and knowledge that goes along with it. The deeper I go in this activity the more it makes me think and the deeper I want to go. Metal detecting can be as uncomplicated as coin shooting a school yard or as deep as relic hunting that rewrites history! Can't get that waving a fly rod or swinging a golf club ;)

OP
OP
J

Jim DE

Aug 26, 2007
Newark, DE
Detector(s) used
Without spot burning, but its a big spot and there are few of us here, any northern DE MD's try the 300 acre NCCP on the west side? I walked around it yesterday and it looked like it might have some potential in a few different areas. I sincerely doubt I am the only one thinking that way. ;)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Jim DE said:
Without spot burning, but its a big spot and there are few of us here, any northern DE MD's try the 300 acre NCCP on the west side? I walked around it yesterday and it looked like it might have some potential in a few different areas. I sincerely doubt I am the only one thinking that way. ;)

hmmm im drawing a blank. only ncc park that size i can think of on the west side of wilm. is banning park.im not even sure that banning is that big. you dont remember the name of it do you?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread