Update on the Quest

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
Ok guys I had a few days to cool down but I am still determined to get this dang quest working. So today I opened it up and besides the pinched wire I have to say everything looks solid inside. The are no loose connections, no loose solder joints really nothing out of the ordinary. I even removed all the clips that are removable and plugged them all back in to see if maybe they were set wrong. I turn the machine on and still have the same issue.

So I start messing with the coil wire right at the base on the coil and guess what...When i pushed the connection a certain way the machine acted normal and that chatter went away. Push it the other way and the machine goes crazy. So I then taped the wire to the shaft as best I could to keep it as solid as possible and it worked fine and was detecting.

As soon as I removed the tape and the wire was free it started acting funny again. Of course I made sure the coil was not detecting the wire so I think there is either a problem with the coil connection. the wire itself or the wiring of the coil. That is beyond my expertise.

Of course I do not have any coil that will fit this connection even if it is a different frequency this connection is small. Has anyone seen this kind of problem before? I do have video buy not sure I feel like opening another can of worms so I am just asking you great people here. Any ideas? Thanks.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. Get Jason to send you another coil, if you really believe that it was the culprit. He should honor that request, as IF the detector becomes stable and works as it should, it was never the Quest itself at fault but a coil problem. Coil issues has plagued all companies at one time or another, everything from not being sealed properly to broken or loose connections at both ends, plug AND coil. If Deteknix are having their coils assembled at a third party supplier, it would be unfair to accuse Deteknix of another company's lack of QC. I doubt that "that" coil that came with the unit is used to pretest the Quest. They probably have a bench coil to QC each unit and the Quest comes with a new prepackaged coil.

I'm sure Jason will read this. And You are trying to do what they want to do at their end. If the coil fixes the issue, we can say it was never the Quest to begin with (and most will understand coil issues). If it doesn't fix it, send it back to Deteknix and let them figure it out to make sure it doesn't happen again. The problem is that YOU don't work for Deteknix and could have sent it back. But your efforts of seeking a solution could be rewarded with and exchanged coil, as if Deteknix themselves had figured it out.

How many times have you heard the advise "did you try wiggling the coil wire to see if it stops?".:dontknow:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
What Phantasman said was my thoughts also it is the only way to find out for sure .............

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure coils and cabling go bad all the time. Could have been damaged in manufacturing.

OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
Is this something someone can repair themselves? I do not think Jason will be contacting me anymore but I would still like to test this machine. Also I never heard the term to try and wiggle the wire as I never had a bad coil yet and I have like 15 of them. Thanks guys!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not usually. If it's a break in the conductor or a short between two right at the coil it would be impossible to splice because of how close it is. If you can position it where it stops you can try a two part epoxy to build it up and keep it in that position. If your going to have to throw it away anyway it might be worth a try.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I said above, it is worth it more to Deteknix (Jason?) to try to make it right, no matter what took place before hand. If a company cannot understand a customers frustration, and use a diplomatic approach once the issue seems to be moving towards a viable conclusion for both, then so be it. You did take down the video and have worked towards answers. If Jason doesn't try to meet you half way, then let the chips fall where they may.

Some people don't realize that silence can be deafening.

OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Yeah I put the videos back up after an obvious Deteknix rep told me I need counseling and that I intentionally broke the machine because I am racist...lol I love when the race card is played. I am racist against a Chinese metal detector. I might need counseling yes, but racist against a metal detector NEVER! lol. He even stated Jason should pay for my polygraph to show I broke the machine which I gladly accepted. I have requested an rma to return this junk and I get no response on that either. Go Figure. It's all good I am getting used to the hate messages people are sending. I would just like to state here in case anyone happens to read it. I was never a tester of this machine and never agreed to be a tester and/or report back any issues. Inside the control box actually seems tight and solid as much as I wish it wasn't but it is. I was being a nice guy in telling Jason about the issues before I finished up the video but I was not obligated at all to do so. I have never been a tester of a machine. It's all good as you know the old saying "Bad publicity is Good publicity" anyhow I am working on a new video of a working product now. Ya know one of my american companies that I am not racist against hahaha. I just hope Deteknix works out their issues and customer support before releasing this.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You know that if you are going to review a detector in a mag. or on the net you are not to find any fault with it .. Only good .. and do not tell the buyers of any fault with the detector .. LOL...

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our English friends have a load of them coming in this week and maybe we will hear something from them. One of them may offer to switch out a coil for you if that fellow here wont do it.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm...

Sounds like there's more behind the scene's than I'm aware of. The "point of no return" may have been reached.

It wouldn't sway me from buying a Quest though, or any Deteknix products. Eventually, soon the dealers will be the go between, which is why they are so valuable.

OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Our English friends have a load of them coming in this week and maybe we will hear something from them. One of them may offer to switch out a coil for you if that fellow here wont do it.
Yeah that would be cool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread