4K Silver Program

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally got out today for a short hunt in a local school yard. I was wanting to try out the 4 K Silver program I loaded into the Deus. It really hit's coins hard,and there's no doubt when you pass the coil over a coin!:thumbsup: I also got a "screaming signal" showing a deep target,I dug down about 11 inches and hit something? It was big,and then to my suprize it was a Tonka Road Grader!:laughing7: I'll add this to my hot wheels collection! I'm really starting to get this program dialed in,and liking it more every time I use/tweek it!:thumbsup:I only got to hunt for 45 minutes,but was impressed with the targets the Deus found on a "Hunted Out" area!:laughing7:
0013_zps51c04e03.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
0032_zps7a0da3ff.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
0024_zpsa2c9a811.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
4 kHz is great, but I just can't fully embrace it. Two reasons:

1. It crosstalks with my Propointer.
2. It won't repeatably hit one of my gold rings. (Granted, it's a very small ring, but still...)

My paranoia over missed targets must be seen to be believed. I still use 4 kHz, but not like I used to. If I only wanted coins and most jewelry, or if I was after silver exclusively, I wouldn't use anything other than 4 kHz. It has much to recommend it, but it doesn't do small gold.

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4 kHz is great, but I just can't fully embrace it. Two reasons:

1. It crosstalks with my Propointer.
2. It won't repeatably hit one of my gold rings. (Granted, it's a very small ring, but still...)

My paranoia over missed targets must be seen to be believed. I still use 4 kHz, but not like I used to. If I only wanted coins and most jewelry, or if I was after silver exclusively, I wouldn't use anything other than 4 kHz. It has much to recommend it, but it doesn't do small gold.

Yeah,Dave! I agree,but I'm a mostly coinshooter,so it works well for my use! The odds of me finding a gold ring,or anything gold is slim to none in the areas I hunt! Now when I'm water hunting at the local swimming holes,the 12kHz get's used as I believe there are better chances of finding small gold jewelry while hunting these areas!:thumbsup: The Pro Pointer and the Deus do like to talk to each other! Infact,I use my ATP when hunting the swimming holes 90% of the time,with the Deus staying up high and dry on the beach.

Last edited:

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4Khz is sort of the "forgotten" frequency. Even I used to pass it by, until I remembered. I use my PiratePro to hunt beaches successfully and it runs at 2.4Khz!

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting a drained pool at my park yesterday I was running with my 4 kHz park prog not getting any hits.then I remembered the wet beach factory program I switched to it and instantly started getting hits .i haven't checked to see what the settings are haven't even tweeked them as I ran out of time but if I detect wet sand again I know what I'm using.there not great finds but I've got a whole lot of pool to go.(hope they don't fill it to soon)

Attachments

• image-1366458010.jpg
    image-1366458010.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 264

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting a drained pool at my park yesterday I was running with my 4 kHz park prog not getting any hits.then I remembered the wet beach factory program I switched to it and instantly started getting hits .i haven't checked to see what the settings are haven't even tweeked them as I ran out of time but if I detect wet sand again I know what I'm using.there not great finds but I've got a whole lot of pool to go.(hope they don't fill it to soon)

Nice info, thanks....

Jim

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used

As a turf guy, I feel that any day that turns up jewelry is a good day, so your "not great finds" look plenty good to me. This may be a turfie thing, though - we don't find jewelry like those prima donna surf guys do. :)

Interesting observations. Was this a saltwater pool? What's the mineralization of the ground like there? Is there EMI nearby? When you get a moment, please compare settings and report back. I'm sure that I'm not the only one here who's intrigued by this.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds for such a short hunt. GL&HH!

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a turf guy, I feel that any day that turns up jewelry is a good day, so your "not great finds" look plenty good to me. This may be a turfie thing, though - we don't find jewelry like those prima donna surf guys do. :) Interesting observations. Was this a saltwater pool? What's the mineralization of the ground like there? Is there EMI nearby? When you get a moment, please compare settings and report back. I'm sure that I'm not the only one here who's intrigued by this.
its highly chlorinated water there's no interference .my gb was about 75 I think that's the wet sand prog I'm at work so I can't say for sure just so you know the key was found on my way to the pool in my reg park prog under a tree

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah,Dave! I agree,but I'm a mostly coinshooter,so it works well for my use! The odds of me finding a gold ring,or anything gold is slim to none in the areas I hunt! Now when I'm water hunting at the local swimming holes,the 12kHz get's used as I believe there are better chances of finding small gold jewelry while hunting these areas!:thumbsup: The Pro Pointer and the Deus do like to talk to each other! Infact,I use my ATP when hunting the swimming holes 90% of the time,with the Deus staying up high and dry on the beach.

I've been playing with 4KHz lately....Its like learning a whole new detector. ID'ing bottle caps is faster, but the bane of 4KHz is aluminum foil in an iron infested area.
Seems foil ID's right where a copper penny or dime would ID and sounds like one partially masked also.
The ID seems to jump around, but I dug a 1960 quarter surrounded by bolts and nails that sounded and ID'd the same as the foil I dug.
Maybe after using it a while I will get the hang of distinguishing them. I think the TX-3 of 4KHz lights up the targets much brighter so a trash infested area is more difficult to work.
Either way I was successful at the school in an area I had hunted at least a dozen times with the Deus @8KHz and 12KHz plus 3 other detectors.
As far as crosstalk with the Propointer, I have no crosstalk at any frequency since I upgraded to v3.2.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
I've been playing with 4KHz lately....Its like learning a whole new detector. ID'ing bottle caps is faster, but the bane of 4KHz is aluminum foil in an iron infested area.
Seems foil ID's right where a copper penny or dime would ID and sounds like one partially masked also.
The ID seems to jump around, but I dug a 1960 quarter surrounded by bolts and nails that sounded and ID'd the same as the foil I dug.
Maybe after using it a while I will get the hang of distinguishing them. I think the TX-3 of 4KHz lights up the targets much brighter so a trash infested area is more difficult to work.
Either way I was successful at the school in an area I had hunted at least a dozen times with the Deus @8KHz and 12KHz plus 3 other detectors.
As far as crosstalk with the Propointer, I have no crosstalk at any frequency since I upgraded to v3.2.

One of the things that I like most about 4 kHz is that, for me, can slaw ceases to be a problem. It sounds like crap. Aluminum cans that have been crushed just right and are basically circular do fool me on occasion though. As for the crosstalk, I'm also running 3.2. 4 kHz is the only freq that doesn't play well with the Propointer.

Very interesting. I'd chalk the difference up to soil but that doesn't explain the Propointer. I'd then blame the Propointer, but my girlfriend has one as well and we use the two interchangeably, and both crosstalk with my Deus. This is odd.

Are you running a 11" coil?

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, running the 11". I had crosstalk at one time and offsetting the frequency solved the problem. Since I upgraded, it hasn't been an issue and my frequency(s) aren't offset.
I have 2 Propointers and neither gives me trouble at any frequency. The PP's I have are several years old (way out of warranty).
I don't know if that makes a difference but something has to.

I am having such difficulty in trashy areas with 4KHz. It lights up the trash so brightly that adjacent coins sound like trash but often give me a proper ID or at least something close enough to dig.
I have been about 50/50 on digging in these areas with an accurate guess. I mostly do jewelry at 18KHz and an am close to 100% pulling coins from the trash.
However I run TX-1, sens 85, react -3, because I'm not digging deep targets. I still get dimes/copper pennies easily ID'd at 6".
May try my react -3 on 4KHz in these areas but seem to lose a lot of depth with a one point change.
Like I stated before Dave, "I never used 4KHz before nor have I used TX-3, so it might just be a learning curve for me".
HEY...I made Dr. Seuss poetry!!!

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Yes, running the 11". I had crosstalk at one time and offsetting the frequency solved the problem. Since I upgraded, it hasn't been an issue and my frequency(s) aren't offset.
I have 2 Propointers and neither gives me trouble at any frequency. The PP's I have are several years old (way out of warranty).
I don't know if that makes a difference but something has to.

I'm also running the 11", V3.2. I'd try offsetting but that's not an option with 4 kHz and V3.x.

As an experiment, I just tried my girlfriend's machine with the 9" coil and it crosstalks with the PP in 4 kHz, although not as badly. Of course, the smaller coil is just plain less chatty to begin with, so I'd expect that the problem to be less pronounced with that.

Now I'm plain confused. Perhaps there's a hardware difference.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt RKS! Good seeing you post!

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks,Bart!:hello: I've just started using the 4 K frequency, and I like it a lot, for coin shooting. It seems to really be fond of "silver"!:laughing7:

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as "cross talking" with the Pro Pointer goes=========try having your coil pointing 90 degrees away,from where you are checking with the pro pointer. It helps a lot!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
As far as "cross talking" with the Pro Pointer goes=========try having your coil pointing 90 degrees away,from where you are checking with the pro pointer. It helps a lot!:thumbsup:

What I do now is pinpoint the target, place the PP on that spot, turn 180 degrees, and set the Deus down at arm's length with the coil away from me. That puts a good five or six feet between them and reduces it to a tolerable level, although it's a bit of a hassle. I'm just thankful that this is easy enough to do with a Deus.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread