New Deus owner

issombeituni

May 26, 2013
Hey guys,

Recently a Etrac user but due to a shoulder injury the doc ordered me to get a lighter machine.
this year with the etrac found a total 40ish silver sinc feb and endless wheats. i am from north west indiana and cant wait to wrangle this machine. I have acess to Lake michigan and looking to do a bit of water hunting.

I be picking everyones brain here.

I am getting a 2hr lesson on the xp when i get it sunday from the previous owner.

I read the manual 2 times and getting andys book with the machine aswell.

1) what stumped you when u first got ur machine?
2) havent even started looking for programs or pdfs any place u suggest
3) cases for the xp waterproof cases?
4) buy a water antenna or use coax? also the deepest i would be is off shore 2 feet water if that
5) any first time user pointers

thanks guys in advanced

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) what stumped you when u first got ur machine?
2) havent even started looking for programs or pdfs any place u suggest
3) cases for the xp waterproof cases?
4) buy a water antenna or use coax? also the deepest i would be is off shore 2 feet water if that
5) any first time user pointers

thanks guys in advanced

1) Nothing really stumped me when I got the Deus, because I had spent so much time reading and especially watching videos about it.

2) There are plenty of custom programs out there, but we are not allowed to discuss/link the information about other forums, which is where I got the information from... I use a pair of Sabisch programs and and a 4khz program mainly.

3) My favorite waterproof case is the Aryca iPhone case, as I do not believe there is an official option. I made a video about it here:

4) I will never use the Deus underwater, but I would say to use Andy's water hunting mod.

5) The obvious advice is to ignore spending much time watching the VDI, other than for depth. The Etrac is great for target ID at depth, but there are a lot of variables that affect the numbers for the Deus. Tones are the key.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the Deus world! Congrats on your new machine. I have seen your posts where you were wreaking havoc on the coins with the Etrac. I think that you will do well with the Deus. It is super light and easy to swing.

I switched from AT Pro to Deus about a month or so ago. The first hunt was a bit tough, because I was not used to the sounds, but like all new machines, you just have to use it and become familiar with it. Go somewhere easy and practice finding some clad, that will help you get the feel of the machine.

I started in the "basic 1" program... and still use it. There is a trick, where you set up another program, just like basic 1, but at 4Khz, instead of 12Khz. If you toggle between the two, you can easily ID steel bottle caps... that trick will save you a lot of bottle digging headaches.

Andy's book is really good too.

Good luck.

Let me know your impressions after a little time... I really want to know how the Deus stacks up against the Etrac.
GL&HH!

OP
OP
issombeituni

issombeituni

May 26, 2013
will do its sucks to give up a great machine... but my rotator cuff injury was just killing me even with the harness it was just too much restriction and was very hot to wear did my research figure the track was a slow machine but a great one I swung that thing too fast most of the time and I like how light this machine is and that its versatile one thing that I do not like about the track is I never found small.gold.chains

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small gold chains will ID in the 20's and even lower at 18KHz (foil hell). I found a medium sterling chain that ID'd at 54 (nickels ID at 62 with 18KHZ).
So you can imagine my surprise when I found it was silver.

The light weight and fast reactivity makes me tend to swing fast and wide. After a while my shoulder feels it.
So with your injury, be careful not to do the same.

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What stumped me the first time I used the Deus is I had the reactivity set a little high and the sounds sounded clipped and weird. The hardest thing for me to wrap my head around on the Deus is the sounds and I am still learning them 60+ hours later it seems. I experimented around with the settings and actually went back to the basic setting and it seems the easiest for me to use.

I use the Aryica case, and I found it on Ebay. Unfortunately it is blue. I suspended it under my shoulder with some parachute cord, but I only use it when I want to check the reading on a signal or pinpoint a tough target. Otherwise, I will not even look at it, but spend 90% of my time listening.

I will still occasionally dig iron, but the readings appear to be very accurate to whatever the target is. I noticed that some iron objects will sound good, probably because of the halo, but once you get them out of the ground they will sound lower or not at all. I still have to really pay attention to the sounds because a highly conductive target still seems to sound like a really shallow lower conductivity target to me. I have learned that most sketchy signals will not be anything worth digging. A coin will usually give a real distinct short signal and they are not hard to pinpoint unless they real deep or around a lot of mid conductive targets.

I bought the Nugget Buster NDT headphones and the WS4 adapter and I plug the 1/8" jack from the headphones into the adapter and just carry it in my pocket. I am thinking about modding some old Killer Bee headphones that I have to the WS4 adapter and eliminating the need for a cable. The only thing that I wished I had would be a larger coil than the 9".

I find that I dig a lot more nickels and lower conductive targets than with my CTX. I am running a discriminate program with the CTX. One of my first hunts this year with the Deus I dug 3 IH pennies in about a 5 foot radius with it. (On my settings with the CTX, IHs read and sound like zinc pennies, and I want to walk past them.) Seems the Deus has a slight advantage over the CTX, because it is lightweight you want to swing it faster and it will also react slightly faster to targets. I have also managed to pick out some really deep wheat pennies with my Deus on one hunt where the CTX wouldn't quit pinpoint because of the depth. On a hunt earlier this week I found a clad spill consisting of 2 quarters, 3 nickels and 3 dimes. Because of the separation capabilities of the Deus I heard each coin which were about 3 inches apart. With the CTX I had walked past the target thinking it was a copper pipe because of where the coins were located. The CTX gave one big signal instead of separate ones.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread