1st 1.5 months with XP DEUS

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've read the XP DEUS manual at least 10 times and have studied it thoroughly. I've used it a lot already since i am on a 6 month super vacation. Its an incredible machine no doubt and I have few issues with it. My issues with it may be mostly unique?

1. While pinpointing I kept popping off the remote with my wrist. On my hands and knees I am used to pinpointing w/ my hand on the handle as normal but I guess the angle makes my wrist pop the thing off. It happened over and over on my 1st day out with it so I ended up using the belt clip case for the remote. But I prefer to have the remote on the detector so I can easily make changes if needed. Seems to me the remote should seat from the bottom up rather than the top down.

2. I use cotton gloves and the friction of my hand keeps working out the rubber port plugs on the bottom of the remote leaving the ports open to sand and moisture. These ports ought to be on the top of the remote methinks.

Anyway I solved both these issues with the $25 armband which doubles as a strap to secure the remote to the handle/shaft. Problems solved.

Aside from these my only other complaint would be the sounds. But my other detector is the CTX 3030 and the difference in sounds of these are night and day so the only thing to do is get used to it.

It really is an amazing machine. My 1st impression from youtube vids was that it was wimpy (the sounds!) but that was dead wrong. The remote interface is absolutely brilliant. I've been hunting for almost 25 years and its easily my favorite interface layout by far. The weight is a dream and being able to swing the 13" loop full time if desired is an extra bonus. Exceptional depth. Easy coil change when needed too.

I found a couple links that were handy for me and maybe you can use them too.

The 1st deals with the XP and manual etc.

XP Deus Program Settings, Features & Modes

The 2nd shows how to get the most depth and was especially helpful.

I search colonial sites in farm fields 99% of the time and use 2 tones. Hope this post helps someone.

Last edited:

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is a different machine I found coming off a Garrett. Just different. I learn more of the tones each time I take it out. I really don't look at TID's until I get a strong tone with definite break points and no chatter.

I just need to get it out more. I wish the machine had a hour meter on it to let you know how much time you have on the machine just for grins:laughing7:

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I bought and hunted with my CTX 3030 I thought about selling it - the 1st few times out. Eventually got over that and it became my main detector. Then again I initially had that feeling with every single Minelab I ever owned. I never had that feeling with the DEUS. Really I bought it or my wife due to its light weight. Heck with the 9" coil its a feather weight. But after learning it for her it could very well be my main detector after all. We'll see. For field hunting I dig anything with the good tone. I leave the null iron sound but at a 3 level because sometimes the signals bouncing between null and good turn out to be small relics - maybe down deep like small lead shot or even little tombac/ pewter buttons. One of the things that really impresses me about the DEUS is how sensitive you can crank that thing up. I had the sensitivity maxed out with the 9" loop in the recent fields I was in. It was a scouting mission but I did a little experimentation with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread