Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently got what I thought was going to be a killer spot mowed and cleaned up. I have found three IH cents, a barber quarter, and a couple decent odds and ends. However, I figured this very large spot would be absolutely loaded with coins considering the history. The grass has been waist deep since the 1940's, so I don't think it's been hunted. I have dug at least 100 very old (circa1900) shotgun shells here...signals someone wouldn't pass up. Also, most finds are quite deep, 8-10+ inches. I am disappointed that there aren't more good coin finds amongst this trashy site.

I have been using the un-modified Deus Fast program with tracking GB. Im going to try Full Tones for the first time, unless someone has a better program to try in this trashy situation.

I'm also wondering about gold coins VDI. This spot is attached to a spot I have dug nearly 50 silvers, many of them 1880's-1920's. I figure there might be a gold coin in there somewhere, but I'm curious on their VDI. I have found a chart, but can't find one including VDI on various denomination gold coins. Anybody have numbers on these?

I'm loving the Deus, just want to maximize my chances at the goods.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont know about the Dues, but because gold comes in different Karats I get get a wide range of numbers for gold. You want gold Id say dig all targets.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
I use full tones exclusively. I'm with Casca; you'll have to dig it all if you have hopes of finding a gold coin. The Deus VDI is based not only upon metal composition, but size of target as well. Knowing that, you'll probably find that a small American $1 gold coin will have a lower VDI based more on its gold content than the size of the coin, but as increasing denominations also equate to larger coin sizes, the VDI should increase because the VDI calculation takes coin size into consideration--that's why a large aluminum token can and does ring up in the higher VDI range despite its low-conductive metal content. All that said, if the majority of your targets are at the depth you mentioned, you can't expect to trust the VDI anyway. Nickels for example often will read higher (like a penny) the deeper they are. And since you're using Deus Fast at reactivity 3, you're not getting near the depth you could be getting with your coil, which would make target ID at depth even more unreliable. Try experimenting with full tones, 12K, reactivity 1 or 0 (maintain silencer at -1); that should make the deep targets pop a little more.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had shotgun shells mask silver quarters before with large coils. Make sure to recheck area good after cleaning out them shells.... gl

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ggossage, I will be able to get out later today, I will give it a shot. Thanks much

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinandrelicman, those dang shells sound so good. I have cleared so much junk out of there, hopefully playing with the full tones will open the site up a bit

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting ready to go. Should I take a preset and modify it to full tones as well as the adjustments recommended by ggossage? I don't want to modify Deus Fast, I do like the program and don't want to screw it up.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
You can't permanently alter any of the preset programs--when you turn off your machine and on again, the preset returns to its default. So, make changes to any one of the preset programs and then save it as a custom program. Your preset should be unchanged...but if it has changed, just change it back. Once you're out there, you'll find it's very easy. Of course, you can make the changes on the remote before you even leave the house. Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, just got the program all set up thanks. I used the setup i found in another thread here, the only thing different I noticed is that it recommended 8kh instead on the 12kh you mentioned. I will try both. Ok...let's see if this baby works!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I survived the full tones haha. Anybody interested in trying it out, I'd recommend giving it a shot at a location that's not full of junk until you get comfortable with it.

After a bust at the junky spot, I went to the old school and managed to find a few pennies. They were deep, and in areas I hit hard in the past. Gonna have to keep at it, it's bizarre!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would imagine gold would run in the 60s or a little lower. I have been digging everything that gives a decent signal higher than iron. I dig a lot of trash, but I have found a lot of neat items that I would have missed if I was more picky. If you get a consistent signal in two directions, I wouldn't pass them up.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would imagine gold would run in the 60s or a little lower. I have been digging everything that gives a decent signal higher than iron. I dig a lot of trash, but I have found a lot of neat items that I would have missed if I was more picky. If you get a consistent signal in two directions, I wouldn't pass them up.

I'm really getting into digging the lower signals, the nice coin high tones are few and far between in my areas of hunting. I'm averaging one coin per hour these days--and most of those are modern clad. I need some new locations, but I still hit all my old spots digging the lower signals. So far nothing great has popped up. June has been brutal.

I'll just keep playing with the full tones, and digging everything...sooner or later the goods will reveal themselves.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
I'm really getting into digging the lower signals, the nice coin high tones are few and far between in my areas of hunting. I'm averaging one coin per hour these days--and most of those are modern clad. I need some new locations, but I still hit all my old spots digging the lower signals. So far nothing great has popped up. June has been brutal.

I'll just keep playing with the full tones, and digging everything...sooner or later the goods will reveal themselves.

Great attidute J.Cache!

n3umw

Greenie
Jul 16, 2006
Germantown MD
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab X70, Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4k8k12k18kXP Deus TIDs
51667481$5 Gold Half Eagle Indian Head
516573801901 $5 Gold Liberty Head
344249571858 $1 GOLD
722 1/2 dollar Indian gold piece
768589911752 George Half Penny
72838690Spanish Silver Reale, 1752

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
n3 - You need to get an hf coil and give us some additonal TIDs at the high freqs. Thanks for the chart.

erte

Mar 19, 2017
Croatia
Detector(s) used
gpx 4800, tdi pro, sov gt/xs, sand shark 10.5'', vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreqvsCoin-4.jpg

at 18k whats the tid on pulltab and bottlecaps?

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try CD pitch program .

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm agreeing with Pointman. Dig all beyond iron and iffy iron/non ferrous too. Your finds have been deep. The deeper you detect the lower the resolution/discrimination. Good luck. We all dig trash it's a part of the game.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread