When are high squeaks not high conductors?

Kilohertz

Feb 20, 2014
First full hunt with my Deus in a big park. I have the 11 inch coil. I am just blown away by the responsiveness of this machine and how much information i get from the ground in full tones.

I tried a full tones custom program that i made based on some research on forums. Is it possible that the machine will sound off high tones on small deep ferrous targets? Using 12k and max depth setting.

I noticed there are tons of "deep whisper" signals that have that scratchy iron tone mixed in and occasionally shows 98-99? Does this indicate it is deep trash?

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those high tones will more likely be trash if you are hunting in 12khz, but not always. If you switch to 4 khz and don't get the target, it is likely iron, but again; not always.

Usually a deep high conductor in full tones will sound close to the same on a cross-scan, you can use the audio data to get a rough dimension of the target. Ring tabs with the beavertail attached and folded up sometimes sound like keepers if they are 8" and deeper. Some beavertails by themselves will sound great in one direction, but no response crossways.

Dug some of these last night that were close to the edge of detection - most of the pulltabs and ringtabs sounded slightly clipped, but the coins "sounded" more confident and of course, higher pitched in full tones. Takes some hours of audio concentration and slow swinging to learn what's going on with Full Tones, but the rewards are better audio ID of those fringe targets.

I remember in particular hunting this house with Dad and Tabman a few months ago:

Unforgettable Memorial Day hunt using TX = 1

The Barber quarter was a one-way hit, and initially I dismissed it as trash. But when I scanned it on another hunt, there was just enough of a high tone to investigate further. Glad I did - I've never dug so many iffy targets and been rewarded as with this detector!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Kilohertz, if you are talking about VERY high pitched beeps and squeaks, then yes, most of that is just iron chatter. I run my Deus wide open and get a lot of that. Lowering the frequency will help some. I hunt mostly in 8 kHz but still get a lot of the squeaky iron chatter. You can certainly tweak your machine to reduce that type of noisy feed back but it does come at some cost to performance. With some experience however, you will notice that a true high conductor like a silver coin will have a noticeable lower tone than the iron squeaks you describe and you will be able to pick it out.

Listen and dig until you are confident in what you are hearing. Because like CZ says "but not always" :icon_thumleft:

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night I hunted a park where I was primarily hunting the deep targets using Reactivity 1 and 4 kHz. Most of the coins recovered were 7-10" deep and some were partially masked with iron. All coins except one had no VDI reading - I went off of tonal information except one 8" Merc indicated 89-91 in 4khz, which is usually almost always a bottlecap. Found the Merc first and the Propointer was still indicating in the bottom of the hole, and out came a quarter-sized lump of iron.

The very last signal of the night was the most exciting - again, no VDI on this hit. Dug down 8" to find a small brass bracket, and passed it in front of the coil to get a signal roughly in the nickel range. I was almost about the cover the hole when I decided to check the bottom with the Carrot. I was getting a faint hit further down, and from 10" deep came two stacked V nickels dated 1899 and 1902.

I dug a fair amount of deep iron targets, but at this depth any machine is going to have trouble with fringe targets, so now I know to simply dig everything that repeats. I tried 12 kHz at one point, and although it pushes a little deeper than 4 kHz it's simply too noisy to be reliable. 4 kHz is great for these deep hits, and does a great job at hitting non-ferrous targets in my experience.

This is gold coin country, and I can reach that depth level with this detector. I know there has to be at least one gold coin in that park - what a find that would be!

I will post pics and the full story of last night's hunt tonight, before I go back for Round 2 :occasion14:

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not read through everyone's responses.
But If no one told you, to eliminate most of that high tone iron, you need to notch out 97 to 99. That is your iron wrap around.. This will eliminate most false high tones..
George

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
George do you ever get good targets from anything over 96? I have never been a notcher, but with full tones and reactivity 3 I get lots of high squeaks in farm fields. So many that I get auditory fatigue and sensory adaptation kicks in where I'm basically ignoring the machine unintentionally. The other problem is bird shot. Tiny stuff that sounds good but it is incredibly hard to isolate the item.

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out last night again to the park but I changed my notch while in 4 kHz. Before I had 95-99 notched, but last night I decided to try something a little different...I notched 98-99 and went over the same areas as before and managed to pull a couple more old Wheats and a V nickel at the 8" level. I remember getting a "97" and another signal read "98" with just barely the top of the horseshoe indicating non-ferrous.

However, I did also dig lots of small foil pieces and some deep iron that sounded and indicated identically. So at this depth it's really a crapshoot, but if you have the time and patience you will eventually be rewarded!

I would think this only works in fairly clean ground, can't imagine working through trashy ground trying to pick through all the different targets, but I guess it could be done.

GL & HH

OP
OP
Kilohertz

Kilohertz

Feb 20, 2014
I have not read through everyone's responses.
But If no one told you, to eliminate most of that high tone iron, you need to notch out 97 to 99. That is your iron wrap around.. This will eliminate most false high tones..
George

Thanks Vino, i have been notching out 0-30 on 12khz. The 97-99 notch is with the 4k correct?

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No with them all.. No matter what freq you are in.

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Had: Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Bandito 2 uMax, Tesoro Bandito 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I typically notch out 0-30 and 97-99, no matter what freq. I'm in.

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the 97-99 notch. I'm moving much faster now.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As was said lower freq to 12 and dont look at the screen for deep ones. If its a solid repeatable hit dig away. Those are usually the good finds! The XP DEUS is by far the best machine I have used in iron and trash!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread