🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wanted to share a little creation I made.

I made a velcro puck adapter that I can use to quickly plug in any headphones I want to use wireless with the Deus. I wish XP made something like this, so I didnt have to, but its really just a housing for the WS4 adapter plate. So far, I've used it with Whites Prostar, my Grey Ghost and some panasonic earbuds. I love the versatility of the WS4 headphones and with this adapter housing, I can quickly stick the puck on the outside of any pair of headphones I own.

So you can visualize what this creation is, here is the final product.

IMG_20151008_213847917.jpg

First I just glued two pieces of scrap 1/8" hardboard together.

IMG_20151007_155625090.jpg

Then I traced the adapter plate onto the hardboard. Cut it out and beveled the edges with the dremel for clearance.

IMG_20151007_160952947.jpg

Heres the adapter plate on the back of the WS4 puck, with my new adapter housing in the background. Since the WS4 is rainproof... and I plan on using it in the rain, I spray painted the hardboard adapter housing to keep it from swelling when I get it wet.

IMG_20151008_192501757_HDR.jpg

Next I JB Welded the WS4 adapter plate onto the new housing.

IMG_20151008_201809692.jpg

On the back I put a piece of industrial strength velcro I got at Walmart.

IMG_20151008_201816667.jpg

On each of my headphones I stuck another piece of velcro. So I can just slap the adapter plate with my housing onto any of my headphones and snap on the WS4 puck.

IMG_20151008_213824296_HDR.jpg

You'll notice in this picture I actually modified my Whites prostar headphones. I cut the cord off and soldered on a 1/8" jack. You don't have to though! For my Gray Ghost I have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter that I just use to reduce the headphone cord to the 1/8" jack. When I use earbuds I just put the puck in my pocket!

It works awesome.

If anyone wants to make one of these, just order the Deus WS4 adapter plate... I think it was like $20. The rest is simple enough to make with whatever scrap wood, some glue and a dremel. AND, if anyone wants to make one and has any questions, don't hesitate to ask me.

Brad

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's clever. Nice work !

Thanks Jeff! I'm really surprised XP doesn't make a housing like this. They have the armband for the WS4 puck, but they should just make a housing for the adapter plate like I made. I suppose you could buy the armband and cut off the straps, stick some velcro on it and slap it onto some headphones.

What would be really awesome is if they made the WS4 adapter plate in 1/4" and 1/8" jacks... Then we could really easily use any headphones with our WS4 pucks.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Yes, you would think XP would offer something like that as an accessory. But look at all the fun you had making it yourself :icon_thumright:

I really like the WS4 backphones and at this point it would be hard for me to go back to a full set of headphones. But I might try rigging up my one-eared Rattler headphones with your set up.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, you would think XP would offer something like that as an accessory. But look at all the fun you had making it yourself :icon_thumright:

I really like the WS4 backphones and at this point it would be hard for me to go back to a full set of headphones. But I might try rigging up my one-eared Rattler headphones with your set up.

If you do, let me know what you think. One thing I would do differently that I just remembered is not to put JB Weld under the two copper prongs on the adapter plate. I did a lot of test fittings before I put the epoxy down and it worked great. After I put down the JB Weld the puck was really hard to slide on. I realized that there needs to be a small (1/64th" or less) amount of flex between the WS4 puck and adapter plate to slide on. I ended up using the dremel to grind down the adapter plate to make that really small clearance. Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind... after I made it I realized it was really hard to slide the puck on without removing some of the adapter plate... maybe if I didnt put the epoxy under those tabs it might be easier.

IMG_20151104_000036.jpg

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Brad, that was ingenious.
I am definitely going to do this with a set of killer bees. I love the sound that comes out of them.
Let me tell everyone, I seen these in person yesterday. Very well made, and not to knock this other guy who make headphones for the deus, but the velcro is so much more sturdy then a little screw that keeped moving on me till the conection broke..
Thats for sharing this with the XP family.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Brad, that was ingenious.
I am definitely going to do this with a set of killer bees. I love the sound that comes out of them.
Let me tell everyone, I seen these in person yesterday. Very well made, and not to knock this other guy who make headphones for the deus, but the velcro is so much more sturdy then a little screw that keeped moving on me till the conection broke..
Thats for sharing this with the XP family.

Thanks a ton George!

Maybe I missed this, or maybe this is a brand new accessory for the Deus that just released, but check out the "Stem Support" accessory.

WS4 Stem support - XP

I wonder if we could take a belt sander to the back of it to grind the stem clip off and make it flat... then slapped some velcro on the back of it! It's hard to tell from the pictures if you could sand the back flat without affecting the 1/8" jack... seems like it sticks out on the back side a bit. Just another idea if anyone that reads this wants to experiment.... just might work and be less work.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Jeff,
I used to think the same thing, but I personally tell you with using the back phones I was missing the wisper signals.
And when its cold out the full set keeps me nice and toasty. .lol
My 2 cents..

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Hey Jeff,
I used to think the same thing, but I personally tell you with using the back phones I was missing the wisper signals.
And when its cold out the full set keeps me nice and toasty. .lol
My 2 cents..

Thanks for the heads up Vino. Yeah, I think I will try Brad's nice set up on my Rattlers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread