XP just updated the starter pack and lowered the price... :)

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what holds me back. If the V4 comes out and I can't fully use the update because I have an older model I will regret not waiting. Wont be able to sell it cuz who would want the older model unless I sell it for cheap and lose a ton of money. And every update after this one will just put me further behind the technology advantage. Guess its a waiting game. I just know if there is going to be a change in hardware, we wont know about it until its released. They would never sell another one until it is released and then have all this old stock left and they'd have to sell it for a lot less.

If you're worried about losing money, simply buy a used coil which will be upgradable soon, and then unload it down the road if you see fit. You won't hardly lose any money if you go this route - and used Deus setups are just as lethal in the worst trashy areas. You won't have any trouble finding a buyer who wants a Deus or Deus Lite setup...on either side of the Atlantic if someone wants to pay overseas shipping...

Take a look at some of the selling prices of the older 11X13" coil...when these were new the coil itself ran about $480-$500 (if memory serves), and used they still regularly fetch $300-$350...all of this is from a simple Ebay "Sold Listings" search...

Software update is of course free, and if you don't like v4 you can opt to go back to v3 or even v2. I started with v2 in late 2013, and when v3 came out shortly after, the detector's BASE performance with equal settings was improved among a few other things. I remember the "Deus Fast" settings in v2 didn't punch that deep, but when the update occurred, and at identical settings I noticed a 2-3" depth increase with factory settings. IF v4 is anything similar it's going to open up a LOT of places again...

The complete setups still retain much of their value used....and if you're patient with it you will see why :occasion14:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen a 4.7x9.5 or something like that, sized coil. is this 4" coil you speak of the same coil? or a little 4" diameter coil?

12cmx28cm was what I saw, so yes you would be correct.

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
12cmx28cm was what I saw, so yes you would be correct.

Well, I guess if I wanted that coil I could buy it but if I buy the package with that coil I'd still have to buy the 11" so might as well get one now. Time to start hunting for the best price.

jeg208

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I guess if I wanted that coil I could buy it but if I buy the package with that coil I'd still have to buy the 11" so might as well get one now. Time to start hunting for the best price.

Maybe, but what if the new 5x10 coil will run the new frequencies and all the old ones?

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe, but what if the new 5x10 coil will run the new frequencies and all the old ones?

Thats the circle that keeps on coming back around. What if? It would seem logical for XP to build a coil that has all the stuff together. But then they wouldn't make two sales, just one. If that other coil runs all the frequencies I'll wish I had waited. But I don't see myself needing those higher frequencies so oh well.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

In my opinion I would say it would absolutely run all the old frequencies as well.

chiefdanaho

Jun 6, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im kinda more looking forward to the pinpointer.. XP may hit a home run with a small coil , but I will tell you right now, that 11" will surprise you with its ability to separate..

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not with the new ws 5 headphones,full size.you run everything from them.just got mine and all i can say is WOW.definately worth the money.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is difficult for me to see much of an improvement of a 4" coil over the 9" coil even in trash.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Including expert settings?

Correct. You can't run expert settings with JUST the WS5 headphones (or the WS4 backphone module for that matter). Without the base control module, you can only select the pre-loaded preset programs, any custom programs loaded on the coil using a base control module, adjust individual "non-expert" settings such as frequency, reactivity, volume, tx power etc. and you don't have pin pointing or any of the "hidden" screens such as x-y. I personally would steer away from the full size WS5 headphones since the headphone control module on the ws5 is not removeable like it is on the ws4 backphones. If you want full size headphones you can plug in traditional headphones into the jack on the control module, get the ws4 headphone jack module adapter, or plug the ws4 module onto any number of full size third party headphones that can accommodate the ws4 module directly.HTH

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deus was a great deal when it was $1700, this price for an updated version is insane. I might need to buy a second one!

I don't think the starter pack was ever $1700. Just to be clear, you do realize the updated price in the OP is for the starter pack without the main remote control module. Just wanted to make sure there was no confusion on the price comparison. I stand by for a good thrashing if you already knew this... ;) However, regarding the starter pack, it does make for a great "second detector" if you have the original Deus. In fact, if you have the original Deus (i.e., non-starter pack) with a WS4 or WS5 headphone and the main remote control module and coil, all you have to do is pick up a second coil and handle assembly and boom you have two detectors since the headset will link to one coil and the control module will link to the other coil. You don't need to get a new main remote control box or headset to do this. FWIW

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is difficult for me to see much of an improvement of a 4" coil over the 9" coil even in trash.

I don't know if the coil size will be a factor but if the new coil is necessary to get the new frequencies that might make it better but I'll let others test it who do you think would make a good point man lol

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: the new coil. Not all that excited about the new higher frequencies - more suited to niche SW beach jewelry hunting and perhaps prospecting. I usually coin shoot with 8 and 12 khz programs, occasionally relic hunt with 18 khz so going higher than that is not of much interest to me personally. I think ground penetration would suffer at the higher frequencies since they are attenuated more by the ground. If, however, the new coil also accommodates the lower frequencies, I like the smaller form factor for getting in and out of tight spots (a closed coil would be even better). The new wireless pinpointer sounds like a great accessory. Depending on the sensitivity of the probe and how integrated it will be to the control box from a programmability perspective, I can envision some possibilities for very low profile detecting setups.

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Supposedly you will have your choice of eight different frequencies ranging from 4 to 40 kHz....4,8,10,12,18,20,30, and 40 kHz. 10 kHz will be good for coinshooting as well, but 20kHz will be better for lower conductors probably not too much different from 18 kHz. It would be cool if we could run just two freqs at once like the Fisher CZ series...I think 4khz and 20 kHz simultaneously would be hard to beat!

I don't think the V4 software will allow this...just yet.

Another possibility using the wireless setup is substituting a set of wireless behind-the-ear hearing aids (or even in-the-ear aids would work) in place of the WS4 and WS5 headphones. For hotter areas I think people would like that flexibility. I have coupled a set of hearing aids to its corresponding relay, and then plugged the relay into the Deus control box. At least with the aids I used there was ZERO lag and the sound reproduction from WS5 to the aids was flawless. I will post more on this when I can....

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Supposedly you will have your choice of eight different frequencies ranging from 4 to 40 kHz....4,8,10,12,18,20,30, and 40 kHz. 10 kHz will be good for coinshooting as well, but 20kHz will be better for lower conductors probably not too much different from 18 kHz. It would be cool if we could run just two freqs at once like the Fisher CZ series...I think 4khz and 20 kHz simultaneously would be hard to beat!

If XP provides the entire frequency range - that would be great (I have put the question out there to folks who would know). Multi-frequency (at once) would be awesome also, but yeah, probably not in the cards for initial V4 release.

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would I be wrong to assume, that a coil which already has 4 different frequencies on it, would simply need a software installed to allow it to run those frequencies simultaneously? Or would it require a change internally? I'd think if it has 4 frequencies already then a simple update would allow those to be run at the same time. Or turn on 2 and turn off 2. or run 3 and turn 1 off.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would I be wrong to assume, that a coil which already has 4 different frequencies on it, would simply need a software installed to allow it to run those frequencies simultaneously? Or would it require a change internally? I'd think if it has 4 frequencies already then a simple update would allow those to be run at the same time. Or turn on 2 and turn off 2. or run 3 and turn 1 off.

The question is whether the coil could truly transmit each frequency simultaneously (and simultaneously process the return signal). I think that it would be more likely to have the capability to transmit the different frequencies in a multiplexed manner (i.e., each frequency would be transmitted for a small time slice and the software would move through each frequency in sequence). That could affect recovery time and responsiveness. But it may be possible in theory to do it simultaneously as you said. Without intimate knowledge of the coil design, its all speculation anyway. Even if simultaneous or multiplexed multi-frequency operation were technically possible, what is known is that XP has not publicly stated that they are working on this capability, unfortunately.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread