XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thumb rule for Deus reactivity settings is loss of about 2 to 3 inches of depth detection with each increase in reactivity setting (I think this is subject to debate amongst the Deus Jedi but probably not far off - also Silencer plays into to debate as explained below). If you need Rx = 3 to provide separation in a trashy setting, then you will loose about 4 to 5 inches of depth vs. Rx = 1. However, in a really trashy site, the trash is masking really deep signals anyway so its worth the trade-off to be able to separate good targets from the trash at about the same depth. I like Rx = 2 as a good middle of the road Rx setting for most situations and seems to fit with my "default" swing speed (lol). Bump up to 3 if really trashy or lower to 1 if I want to maximize depth. Be aware of the Reactivity/Silencer quirk. Whenever you change Rx setting, Silencer will also change to the default value associated with that Rx setting. I like Silencer = 0 for all situations unless chatter is just unbearable (I would have to have tweaked everything else [e.g., ground notch, frequency shift, sensitivity, Tx power] before I raised the silencer above 0 to quell emi chatter because silencer settings above 0 start impacting depth performance). Others like to run wide open with Silencer off (i.e., Silencer = -1). None of the Silencer default settings associated with any of the Rx settings is 0 or -1. So you need to remember to reset silencer to your preferred setting whenever you change the Reactivity setting. Silencer will stay at that setting until the next time you change Reactivity to something else. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks been keeping silencer on -1 on all my programs to try to get the most out of it. wow on the depth will have to redo my thinking on the swing speed because I do hunt in some places with very deep targets .Ive really been learning this machine in the trash so I really dont have a feel for it away from the trash yet but im gonna work on that soon.

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the lite buzzing chatter normal? Or is that because of exssive interference? It's a constant little chatter where I hunt, not caused by a signal in the ground. Slightly annoying, but if it's normal I can handle it (to not make changes that impact results)

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
might be EMI. Try a diff frequency or lower the sensitivity. Also try notching the ground balance. I lift my coil off the ground and shake it and increase the notch until its quiet. That helps a ton when you have lots of chatter.

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
might be EMI. Try a diff frequency or lower the sensitivity. Also try notching the ground balance. I lift my coil off the ground and shake it and increase the notch until its quiet. That helps a ton when you have lots of chatter.

Thank you! I am very new to the deus, so I will have to look up how to notch the ground balance. I have not seen that yet.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the lite buzzing chatter normal? Or is that because of exssive interference? It's a constant little chatter where I hunt, not caused by a signal in the ground. Slightly annoying, but if it's normal I can handle it (to not make changes that impact results)
I know what your talking about when I run full tones with 0 discrim it can get noisey I have bumped up discrim a little to 1-5 and it quited it down but you know I might rethink that buzzing noise with the notch deal?how much notch do you have to put in ? notching wont hurt depth will it like discrimination?

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know what your talking about when I run full tones with 0 discrim it can get noisey I have bumped up discrim a little to 1-5 and it quited it down but you know I might rethink that buzzing noise with the notch deal?how much notch do you have to put in ? notching wont hurt depth will it like discrimination?

I just figured out how to notch the ground, and I am going to try that today. For notch I am using 01-10 right now.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that might not help me because I need to hear the nails in the ground but I bet it would work good for coin shooting and at that setting the nails would be gone?

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And that is exactly what I am doing. In an area heavy in big iron and nails, I am coin shooting and going for buttons, spoons, tokens and all those goodies.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would work good in that! I should try it when im on the homesite and know where it is but when I move away from it and I am looking for another hotspot with iron change it back im always so scared im gonna miss something i guess thats the reason I like to hear everything and I do believe I will dig more iffy signals that way which might turn out to be goodies.

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can never go wrong with that!

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks been keeping silencer on -1 on all my programs to try to get the most out of it. wow on the depth will have to redo my thinking on the swing speed because I do hunt in some places with very deep targets .Ive really been learning this machine in the trash so I really dont have a feel for it away from the trash yet but im gonna work on that soon.

Running at R2 you will not lose much depth, Silencer has more effect on depth......R1 still should handle a fast swing speed.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Running at R2 you will not lose much depth, Silencer has more effect on depth......R1 still should handle a fast swing speed.

I agree with this. It's all relative. Deus on R1 is still faster than any other detector out there. And yes, Silencer > 0 will have a greater impact on depth than a single step increase in reactivity.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys for the imput.