PLEASE HELP DECIDE

Growerjason

Jan 10, 2016
Louisville Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, At Pro, Eurotek Pro 11 DD, and in need of something different.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus or minelab etrac or maybe even a CTX. I've had my heart set on getting an XP for years and now that I have finally saved enough to get one, I call a dealer and he tells me the XP is good and all but will in no way out perform a etrac or CTX. I'm up grading from a AT Pro and mainly hunt in the city, and beaches when we travel
. please help steer me in the right direction.
Thanks
Jason

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are hunting in thick trash or iron buy the deus. I hunted with 2 of my friends the other day and one had an etrac and I showed him what the deus can do in trash and he said he had never saw anything like it. both of them have etracs but one Them got a deus and I set it up for him and now its his favorite. The deus is better imo for relic hunting but the beach well from what I heard the minelabs rule there. You can but a deus ws5 for 1245.00 shipped I dont know what the etrac and ctx cost but I think it depends on what your looking for your style of hunting.just my 2 cents hope it helps.

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My totally biased opinion....

Get the Deus, either the 9" OR 11" coil. Curb strips are often full of trash, and the separation is what you're after in that setting. I've hunted with a gentleman who is very versed in the CTX 3030 language...he's been hunting since the 1970s and has had plenty of machines over the years. He and I hunt side-by-side (well, almost) and his CTX is better at IDing 8-10" deep coins in moderately mineralized soil while my 9" Deus can SEE the coins - but not really ID them at that depth.

Once you start understanding what the Deus' Full Tone audio is telling you, you won't look back. Admittedly there is a learning curve for both Deus and the top-end Minelab machines - don't get discouraged though!

I've hunted a bit with my dad's AT Pro, and have found deep coins with it; but for those iffy deep targets the Deus can give you audio info on targets that sound like iron or are "bouncy" with the AT Pro.

OP
OP
Growerjason

Growerjason

Jan 10, 2016
Louisville Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No that helps alot, by the way, all those coins you have listed on your signature, were they all found with the Deus? And where can I get the 9" ws5 for $1245 shipped? Bart or Vance? I was looking at used ctxs for around $1500-1600, and one can get a used etrac fairly cheap. But I've just always yearned for the XP, as odd as that might sound. Maybe I can get the Deus, keep my AT Pro for water and maybe down the road get a etrac for the beaches.

OP
OP
Growerjason

Growerjason

Jan 10, 2016
Louisville Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I'll take anymore testimonials and encouragement to get the Deus. Any recommendations on where to purchase it from?

OP
OP
Growerjason

Growerjason

Jan 10, 2016
Louisville Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where to buy?

nasc

Greenie
Feb 4, 2016
Nashua NH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Metal Detectors. Gave me a fantastic deal. Haggle with him. Haggle with every one.

Glen

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pm sent . you will love the deus!most of the coins were found with a at pro with a nell coil . I found the trime and sheild nickel with the deus a walking liberty half dollar,1860 indian head,1923 merc ,and another indian . Ive only been swinging it for a few months. I will tell you this you will be able to go back over where you hunted with the pro and you will pull targets that the pro left behind especially if there was any trash there. I thought the pro was good in trash but I didnt know what good was till I got the deus. If your gonna buy a deus DO YOUR HOMEWORK and learn the features of the machine or you will not like it because to get the most out of it you got to know how to set it up. Not hard if you watch the training videos on youtube and read the manual. you have to understand what each setting does .The guy is above me is right haggle !

Last edited:

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say go with the ctx or any other brand but the Deus.....

LOL I figure less competition out there if you don't buy a Deus!

Jim

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the beach I would get the 3030 or the etrac. The Deus is lite and an awesome machine! I love mine. I have different machines for the beach. Really you cant go wrong with any of those options. The wireless set up is awesome as well. Folds up into a very small unit and takes up hardly any space. I love being able to take the coil off the machine by pulling the lower shaft right out and then just using that when I am in very tight spots like shrubs and undergrowth in the woods.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metaldetectingstuff is a great dealer. Ask for Wayne or Doug. I went from an at pro and an at gold and bought the deus. Wow what a diff it makes in the trash. It doesn't take long to learn it either. I don't know about the minelabs but I wouldn't trade my deus for one because I'm finding things at sites that were hunted for years by me and the deus finds more.

OP
OP
Growerjason

Growerjason

Jan 10, 2016
Louisville Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my Deus, thanks to all! Now I just have to learn it.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres some tips go to you tube and watch Gary expert xp deus training videos and learn how to program your machine as fast as you can. I myself have 4 programs I use 2 for trash and iron ,and 2 for deep seeking relics away from the trash. I use full tones in all my programs but you may like something different.Its not that hard to learn if you do your homework of course learning the tones is another challenge that you will get with time.

OP
OP
Growerjason

Growerjason

Jan 10, 2016
Louisville Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Calabash, you've been a great help through all of this.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your welcone Garys videos will help you learn your machine he has alot of videos on the deus.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Deus , I was either going too buy it , or the CTX . The Deus was a better fit for me it was much lighter and more intuative than the CTX , not too mention cheaper . That being said I may still buy a CTX , at some point , but the deus just plain works .

tyeehunter

Sep 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that it really depends on what you want to do/ what you are primarily targeting. It also depends on where you live. How far back does history go in your area? If I was to go out and hit parks and area with little to no vegetation the Deus is awesome. If you are going off the grid and need extra depth to get through bushes/ long grass I would consider the 3030. Once you get your head wrapped around the Deus I am sure that you will be more than happy with the machine. HH

PS. Just reading your second to last post, Congrats and welcome to the club.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread