Silver!

Mahskeeter

Jun 18, 2016
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First ever silver. 1948 quarter. I found it at about 5 inches. I'm stoked.
7f854da42e43901cd360e5c6b3c0cee6.jpg

4ce505c9506a256ee645c37a5da61d7d.jpg

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did a lot better than me today. Well done on the silver!

OP
OP
Mahskeeter

Mahskeeter

Jun 18, 2016
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I got a 1957 dime and one wheatie too!

Today's 2 hour haul. Lots of fun!
cc90cbc526137cc636ddd4153792282d.jpg

c334c526572b52db06aa05a158eaac90.jpg

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did great ! How did those silvers sound in the tones? high pitch sweet sound ?

OP
OP
Mahskeeter

Mahskeeter

Jun 18, 2016
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did great ! How did those silvers sound in the tones? high pitch sweet sound ?
I believe I it hit about 95 and sounded really good. Sounded like a quarter, but a really bright full high tone.

I can't believe how nice they look. Clean bright compared to clad. They sound cool when smacked together. I can't wait to go back out. I think a shovel is next. I'm tired and sore digging with a trowel.

Last edited:

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe I it hit about 95 and sounded really good. Sounded like a quarter, but a really bright full high tone.

I can't believe how nice they look. Clean bright compared to clad. They sound cool when smacked together. I can't wait to go back out. I think a shovel is next. I'm tired and sore digging with a trowel.

I highly recommend the lesche sampson 31-t handle serrated shovel. I know what you mean with the trowel.

b02ab8f59b51d1675f3d535d91c3ab37.jpg

OP
OP
Mahskeeter

Mahskeeter

Jun 18, 2016
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I highly recommend the lesche sampson 31-t handle serrated shovel. I know what you mean with the trowel.

b02ab8f59b51d1675f3d535d91c3ab37.jpg
That's the one I'm looking at, but I read so many threads last night between the 18in and 31in. I really like the idea of not being noticed with a shovel.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first 2 silvers. I can see you are stoked. Keep swinging, the more you swing the more you find. What kind of site were you hunting? I do use a small shovel, they can be bought for $6.99 - $9.99. I also use a lesche hand tool.

OP
OP
Mahskeeter

Mahskeeter

Jun 18, 2016
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first 2 silvers. I can see you are stoked. Keep swinging, the more you swing the more you find. What kind of site were you hunting? I do use a small shovel, they can be bought for $6.99 - $9.99. I also use a lesche hand tool.
Thanks. It's a little league ball field next to a middle school, but the area I was paralleled the road in an area that was on the map in around 1880. So I wasn't in a clad infested area like other ball fields I've gone to.

Across the street is farm field that I'd like to get permission when they take the crop.

Today I sharpened my Lowes hand tool and that helped cut in to the ground, but it's dry and I just need more shovel. I had heard more faint high tones, but they were way too deep without a shovel. So I'm definitely headed back.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the one I'm looking at, but I read so many threads last night between the 18in and 31in. I really like the idea of not being noticed with a shovel.

Just my opinion but I don't think the 18" is going to be much better than the trowel. A little bit more leverage using your upper body but that's about it. I can't imagine bending over something that small and trying to use my foot to drive the blade into hard ground.

I also really think most of the apprehension about carrying a larger shovel is more to do with being self conscious than other people actually caring. I mean you have a full sized detector in one hand with your other gear (pin pointer, trowel, finds pouch, etc). There's no mistaking what your doing :) The people who would raise a stink about you detecting are going to do so regardless of shovel length.

Just my opinion.

OP
OP
Mahskeeter

Mahskeeter

Jun 18, 2016
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my opinion but I don't think the 18" is going to be much better than the trowel. A little bit more leverage using your upper body but that's about it. I can't imagine bending over something that small and trying to use my foot to drive the blade into hard ground.

I also really think most of the apprehension about carrying a larger shovel is more to do with being self conscious than other people actually caring. I mean you have a full sized detector in one hand with your other gear (pin pointer, trowel, finds pouch, etc). There's no mistaking what your doing :) The people who would raise a stink about you detecting are going to do so regardless of shovel length.

Just my opinion.
I think that it's a very fair assessment. Maybe I get it ordered in a week or so.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that it's a very fair assessment. Maybe I get it ordered in a week or so.

Mahseeker you won't regret it. I compare it to a new licensed CCW holder carrying concealed for the first time. You are very self conscious and you think your weapon is printing everywhere, and everyone sees it. After a while you realize no one is paying attention (don't care) and you will end up feeling naked without it.

Keep killing those silvers and enjoying that Deus! Remember you are not doing anything illegal and have nothing to be self conscious about (you'll get over it quick believe me).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mahskeeter

Mahskeeter

Jun 18, 2016
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mahseeker you won't regret it. I compare it to a new licensed CCW holder carrying concealed for the first time. You are very self conscious and you think your weapon is printing everywhere, and everyone sees it. After a while you realize no one is paying attention (don't care) and you will end up feeling naked without it.

Keep killing those silvers and enjoying that Deus! Remember you are not doing anything illegal and have nothing to be self conscious about (you'll get over it quick believe me).
That's exactly right i believe.

Last edited:

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
The MAIN thing when using a larger shovel is NO one can tell you were there!!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
You gotta love when the silver outnumbers the wheaties! Congratz!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread