Hit some old home sites I thought were picked clean, how do you think the Dues did?

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the Dues about 2 month ago and every free minute I have watched video's and read all the forum posts and books I could get my hands on. When I first went out with the Dues I really thought I had wasted my money on this detector. Coming from the AT Pro which is built like a tank I wasn't sure how I liked the plastic feel and lightness of the Dues, now after using it I love how light it is and have no worries of the shaft flexing to much or any part breaking. Today I wa able to attach the Dues to my backpack and hike hands free (well hands free for coffee and bacon jerky) something I was not able to do with any other machine I have owned. My other concern was depth since we are limited to stock XP coils either 9", 11" or 11x13" after learning how to use the Dues in true all metal mode and on a deep program I am no longer worried about missing a target due to depth. Plus the ability to change freq... is a game changer to me 18khz in the thick iron 8khz or 4khz when I am relic hunting and man the Dues will not lie to you! If it says there is a high conductor down there it's there, maybe have to do a little searching through the iron with the pin pointer but its there somewhere! For my hunting style which is a bit of everything, coin shooting at local parks, relic hunting in the woods at old camp sites, or fishing for silver and relics at iron filled foundations the Dues can handle it all without changing coils. Plus the ability to uprade the firmware (if V4 is every released :BangHead:) makes this machine the best machine I have seen for the price point.

Now on to the finds! I have hit this site 3 times with 4 other people all using Garrett Machines and we swore "it's hunted out" well as you can see its not even close to being hunted out!
All finds have not been cleaned and I will upload new images of the cleaned finds a little later, a few Indian head pennies, toasted large cent I think, silver jewelry, a few flat buttons of all sizes, hand made lead fishing weights, harmonica reeds and some odds and ends...
337439EA-DA5C-49D9-AC4B-34BB99EBCD70.JPG

Mahskeeter

Jun 18, 2016
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Dues about 2 month ago and every free minute I have watched video's and read all the forum posts and books I could get my hands on. When I first went out with the Dues I really thought I had wasted my money on this detector. Coming from the AT Pro which is built like a tank I wasn't sure how I liked the plastic feel and lightness of the Dues, now after using it I love how light it is and have no worries of the shaft flexing to much or any part breaking. Today I wa able to attach the Dues to my backpack and hike hands free (well hands free for coffee and bacon jerky) something I was not able to do with any other machine I have owned. My other concern was depth since we are limited to stock XP coils either 9", 11" or 11x13" after learning how to use the Dues in true all metal mode and on a deep program I am no longer worried about missing a target due to depth. Plus the ability to change freq... is a game changer to me 18khz in the thick iron 8khz or 4khz when I am relic hunting and man the Dues will not lie to you! If it says there is a high conductor down there it's there, maybe have to do a little searching through the iron with the pin pointer but its there somewhere! For my hunting style which is a bit of everything, coin shooting at local parks, relic hunting in the woods at old camp sites, or fishing for silver and relics at iron filled foundations the Dues can handle it all without changing coils. Plus the ability to uprade the firmware (if V4 is every released :BangHead:) makes this machine the best machine I have seen for the price point.

Now on to the finds! I have hit this site 3 times with 4 other people all using Garrett Machines and we swore "it's hunted out" well as you can see its not even close to being hunted out!
All finds have not been cleaned and I will upload new images of the cleaned finds a little later, a few Indian head pennies, toasted large cent I think, silver jewelry, a few flat buttons of all sizes, hand made lead fishing weights, harmonica reeds and some odds and ends...
View attachment 1405683
Awesome. Nice hunting!

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless you grid a site in 3 directions (minimally) using multiple coils, the site is not picked clean. I am amazed at the finds I pull from sites I have previously gridded when I install the 5"DD coil. So many targets are near other metal objects that if you swing in the wrong direction they may be masked. I believe the AT Pro could have found a majority of those finds.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you grid a site in 3 directions (minimally) using multiple coils, the site is not picked clean. I am amazed at the finds I pull from sites I have previously gridded when I install the 5"DD coil. So many targets are near other metal objects that if you swing in the wrong direction they may be masked. I believe the AT Pro could have found a majority of those finds.

My 5" coil STAYS on ALMOST ALWAYS!!!!!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good going ,im gonna disagree with what loco said about the pro BECAUSE when I tested it it would hit all the targets the deus would hit in my test garden (shallow targets in iron ) if I would put the coil over it and wiggle it and I could do that because I know where the targets are. As soon as a sweep speed was introduced it lost the target it was gone even with a slow sweep speed iffy at best sometimes. You can see that in the video at recovery speed I made. So I disagree ,I know about the gridding and how it turns up targets but unless you got lucky with the at pro and stopped you coil directly over some targets and wiggled it the pro would miss it. I wish I had made more videos of the at pro before I sold it to demostrate what im talking about. I will give it this the 5x8 is way better than the stock coil. I will say this the deus ALMOST performs as well with the nine inch coil as those others perform with the 5 so for me it becomes about rewards worth effort on some sites . There is no way I could do like fishstick and swing a 5 inch coil almost all the time .:notworthy:

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am also going to not agree with what loco said about the AT being able to find the targets the XP Dues was able to. The reason I can say this, I did grid the property :) I'm very anal about making sure I get every last target from the ground at these old home sites or as much as possible with the machine I am using. I went north south and then east west, First I used the AT with NEL sharpshooter since I know its iron infested. Zero I mean zero hits with the AT :( was it swing speed? was it iron masking? I don't know, but I know once I put the AT away and broke out the Dues with it running the "sifter" program the targets started ringing. Now if this site was iron free sure the AT could have found those targets, but most aren't. One of the stronge points of the Dues is the recovery speed and seperation (due to signal processing?)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the disagreement by others to my comment, no harm no foul. I like to voice my opinion and am not opposed to hear others view points. I still believe that the AT Pro could have found most of those targets. A sharpshooter coil is relatively the same size as the Garrett stock 5" x 8". I have had a site that I personally pounded using the F75 using both the stock DD coil and then the 12" x 15" SEF coil. Mind you, I hit the site in 3 separate directions with each of the 2 coils I mentioned. The site was in my mind "hunted out" since the amount of finds had dwindled to almost nothing per hunt. Now lets go 3 months later and I finally hit that yard using the 5" DD. My 1st target was a buffalo nickel that both the other coils had missed. I know the XP Deus is a great detector (heck I own one), and I know there is no reason to buy the 4.5" super sniper coil for a back-up detector, but I still believe the AT Pro could have found most of those items if gridded using the smaller sniper coil.

I am assuming the AT Pro is your back-up/loaner detector in your arsenal.

Boom, I dropped the microphone :tongue3: "Peace-Out"

GL & HH

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if politicians could disagree like we do we would be in business!:laughing7:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read this earlier on my phone but hate to type on it so the discussion progressed before I could type this out on my computer. What I was going to say, but Loco D clarified it, was the F75 with a sniper (perhaps even an AT pro) might give the Deus a go with a highly trashy site even with the Deus higher than any detector recovery speed. I knew that's what Loco D runs and I have the same setup (Deus and F75 with an array of coils including 5" sniper and small elliptical DD and coaxial). I just don't typically have the luxury of time to grid my local sites and with multiple detectors and typically only have the Deus available with me whenever the opportunity arises to hunt.

It's the one drawback to the Deus "brains in the coil" design. While that design approach facilitates a lot of neat features and wireless configurations, having an [inexpensive] array of accessory coils is not one of them. That is why if I were to flex down to as few detectors as possible it would be the Deus with 9/11" coil options//F75 with multiple coil options//Minelab Excal II for beach/surf hunting//Minelab GPX or Garrett ATX PI detector super hot soil deep relic hunting. Right tool for the job, man, and in some specific cases a very small coil is the right tool. Wish the Deus had one.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read this earlier on my phone but hate to type on it so the discussion progressed before I could type this out on my computer. What I was going to say, but Loco D clarified it, was the F75 with a sniper (perhaps even an AT pro) might give the Deus a go with a highly trashy site even with the Deus higher than any detector recovery speed. I knew that's what Loco D runs and I have the same setup (Deus and F75 with an array of coils including 5" sniper and small elliptical DD and coaxial). I just don't typically have the luxury of time to grid my local sites and with multiple detectors and typically only have the Deus available with me whenever the opportunity arises to hunt.

It's the one drawback to the Deus "brains in the coil" design. While that design approach facilitates a lot of neat features and wireless configurations, having an [inexpensive] array of accessory coils is not one of them. That is why if I were to flex down to as few detectors as possible it would be the Deus with 9/11" coil options//F75 with multiple coil options//Minelab Excal II for beach/surf hunting//Minelab GPX or Garrett ATX PI detector super hot soil deep relic hunting. Right tool for the job, man, and in some specific cases a very small coil is the right tool. Wish the Deus had one.

Well said vferrari, I looked at possible getting a new 9" coil for my Deus until I saw the price, ouch.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my friend took his to a park and reported back with f75 last night pretty impressive depth for a 5 inch coil.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my friend took his to a park and reported back with f75 last night pretty impressive depth for a 5 inch coil.

The old adage that the diameter of the coil directly equates to depth does not apply to the 5"DD, I have pulled coins at 8" with a good target Ids using the small coil. A majority of my recent hunts have been to go over previously hunted permissions using the small coil.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah I was showing that with the nine when a guy said no way are you hitting coins at depth with that size coil. Showed them the video!:laughing7: That theory my pass into history before long as the tech gets better. I mean really if deus made a 15 inch coil wrapped like the nine we would be hitting coin sized targets at 2 ft lol I dont know if thats true but based on what the nine does it might.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah I was showing that with the nine when a guy said no way are you hitting coins at depth with that size coil. Showed them the video!:laughing7: That theory my pass into history before long as the tech gets better. I mean really if deus made a 15 inch coil wrapped like the nine we would be hitting coin sized targets at 2 ft lol I dont know if thats true but based on what the nine does it might.

Correct, but how many 2 ft deep holes do you want to dig in a day.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread