Silver here silver there...

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit a new spot where people would sit and watch fireworks. You wouldn't think this spot can produce the way it is. 11 silvers where pulled the other day and 6 where pulled personally by me in less than 1 hour. The Dues really showed it's worth, other guy was using an AT Pro with Stock coil and I was searching right behind him. He found zero silver lol poor guy he looked a little upset watching me pull silver after silver [emoji51]

IMG_1356.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In an hour you beat my average yearly silver finds. :4leafclover:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Nice haul of slivers! It's all about knowing your machine. I see you have an at pro as well. Did you offer to help him learn?

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice haul of slivers! It's all about knowing your machine. I see you have an at pro as well. Did you offer to help him learn?

That's pretty funny! The guy is good with the AT Pro, he normally uses a NEL Storm coil but they cut the field with a sickle mower so the thick stubble makes big coils tough to use. This time he went out with the stock coil, the first time he hit it he found 11 silvers all rosies, mercs, washingtons the next day I pulled what yo see above and he got zip :) I think he thought he cleaned it out and that's one of the reasons I wanted to swing right behind him to see if there really is something different in the way the Dues handles the ground and iron around targets. I used the new "hot" program with some changes. There were 3 coins the AT would not hit on no matter which direction he swung, the Dues hit it :dontknow: Went back to the same field and pulled 1 more merc and 1 more washington. I think he pulled 2-3 himself, amazing little place to hunt! loaded with silver and wheat pennies. Should give other members an idea on where to hunt in there town.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you found a great spot

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the silvers!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Austin, great silvers. Need to find that place 'round here. Care to share your tweaks to the new Deep program? Are you using the default X-Y screen?

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Negative on the new XY screen, I'm a fan of the horseshoe. More personal preference than anything regarding the XY screen. However I like the fact you can now zoom in on the XY screen.

Sens-95
Silencer-1
Full tones
Reactivity-2.5
Frequency-4khz
TX-3
Discrimination-0
Notch- 1-10
Full tones
GB-manual I keep my eye on it and adjust as necessary.

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As you guys know I am a big fan of keeping the discrimination very low and using the notch setting to quite the iron down. I don't know why I have it in my head that higher discrimination looses depth lol. Also if you think about it is there a difference between using discrimination at 10 or using notch from 1-10? Maybe someone smarter can chime in on the difference between the two

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I've only had marginal luck. Which program do you prefer? I've copied programs from the Sabich book but to no avail. Plan on going out in a bit and if you have any recommendations it would be appreciated. I mainly hunt civil war, but it is getting difficult to find spots that aren't basically cleaned out here in Missouri, so I plan on doing a little silver hunting. I may add that I do a lot of hunting in St. Louis and most of the parks are hunted almost clean, old houses are absolutely littered with trash so it's very hard to find good targets.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you guys know I am a big fan of keeping the discrimination very low and using the notch setting to quite the iron down. I don't know why I have it in my head that higher discrimination looses depth lol. Also if you think about it is there a difference between using discrimination at 10 or using notch from 1-10? Maybe someone smarter can chime in on the difference between the two

Nothing wrong with keeping discrimination as low as possible as long as you can stand the ground feedback. Andy S says that unnecessarily high discrimination can adversely affect depth. Go for it. I looked up in Andy's book and Tx power is locked at 3 for 4 khz. I thought it was locked at 2 at 4 khz. I know you can't shift frequency. I think I may be wrong on the tx power lock on the HF coils. I thought it would be locked at 2 but it may be locked at 3 just like 4 khz. Curious. The TX lock at 3 on 4 khz presents a dilemma on hot ground. 4 khz is the deepest frequency but if Tx is locked at 3 it may be counter productive to use it in hot soil because hot soil performance may be better if you back off on Tx power. Need to end the speculation by getting my hands on one of the new coils.

Back to min disc, Austin, if what you are doing is working, don't "fix" it. Sure looks like its working to me. Great silver finds and great story about following the AT Pro. Good job.

Last edited:
OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So to recap the weekend the Dues did very well! I hope the diamond is real, rings looks old have .925 on inside edge but I'm no jeweler. My son found the standing liberty on his first plug I was a very proud dad!
Silver from March 4-5 2017.jpg
standing liberty and ring.jpg

Last edited:

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice coin for sure! I bet he was stoked. You know, that's a damn good way to get addicted to metal detecting, lol. He gonna be stealing your Deus before you know it. :D

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha luckily he knows better [emoji846] I love the kid to death but he's not getting my dues!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Hey, Austin. Glad you found my post comical as I love to make people laugh. I have no problem with that even if it turns out I'm glib. I'm always up to learning and listening to others experiences and have heard many good things about the dues. I don't own one but have thousands of hours in with the at series.
I have to ask about why you think the at pro missed these other coins. Since you mentioned that the other fella usually uses a larger coil, is the reason, in your opinion, that the at pro couldn't hit these silvers is because they were too deep? If so, how deep were they? If not, what is the reason....just a lot of trash around them??
BTW, the half is a walker. A standing liberty is a quarter.

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the clarification on the coin there all silver to me that's all that counts :icon_thumleft:
I think the AT Pro missed the coins due to masking plain and simple it has a faster recovery speed. The coins are between 6-12 inches with the tall grass included. The AT would give a low-midtone 30-40 signal on one of the coins most likely cause in my mind is masking from another "target" close by.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have read that Xp states that discrimination and notch are exactly the same. ....disc of 5 is the exact same as notching out 0 to 5. Same with 10 or 25 or whatever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread