ver 4 disc settings

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been out of town and unable to hunt. I'd be very interested in your opinions on v4 vs 3.2.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kinda like the -6.4 setting. I think I will keep it between -6 and -4.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read that -2.5 is roughly the equivalent of 0 on v3.2 but I have not tested it myself yet.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can somebody please explain this new negative discrimination for me? Please keep it simple. The explanation from XP makes no sense to me. How can you discriminate less than 0? If you're discriminating nothing, you can't possibly discriminate less than that... can you?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand it because it is magic.

But seriously, I know what you are saying about how can you go negative but really think it just a way for them to expand the low end of the discrimination filter range to provide more precise adjustments to the user. Frankly, I think it is really is more of a threshold like setting down there, where you are dialing in the degree of ground feedback noise you are comfortable with while enabling you to see/hear as much iron as you want. Ground feedback probably peaks out or is normalized to what was/is 0 disc. It also supposedly discriminates round iron better (not as susceptible to fooling the circuit into sounding like a high tone). Otherwise, I think it is more about feel than science. Trying to understand it just results in heads exploding and I really don't want to have to think about that when I am frankly relaxing from work by metal detecting. lol.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am also in the camp of liking it more than v3.2 with 0 disc. I think it "see's" more iron targets now as iron and not a great coin signal. I also feel its more sensitive to iron in the ground could just be me though. I like to run the HOT program with reactivity at 2.5 / Disc -6 / TX 3 / 7khz /silencer -1 / sens 95-97
the machine is very chatty on whats in the ground and I feel like I am now getting a much more complete picture of what's under my feet.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's running it hot right on the edge!

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't understand it because it is magic.

But seriously, I know what you are saying about how can you go negative but really think it just a way for them to expand the low end of the discrimination filter range to provide more precise adjustments to the user. Frankly, I think it is really is more of a threshold like setting down there, where you are dialing in the degree of ground feedback noise you are comfortable with while enabling you to see/hear as much iron as you want. Ground feedback probably peaks out or is normalized to what was/is 0 disc. It also supposedly discriminates round iron better (not as susceptible to fooling the circuit into sounding like a high tone). Otherwise, I think it is more about feel than science. Trying to understand it just results in heads exploding and I really don't want to have to think about that when I am frankly relaxing from work by metal detecting. lol.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

Seriously, thanks for the info. Also good to see that I'm not the only one that finds it to be a bit baffling.

So, how does Notch work into this (I've never really used Notch, so just curious)? I get the impression from things I've read here that Notch does not work like Discrimination does.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a whole thread on the difference between notch and discrimination [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s1222l

Apr 28, 2016
Central Mass
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" & 11" / Teknetics T2 Classic / Tesoro Vaquero / DetectorPro Pirate Pro
Garrett Propointer AT / Deteknix XPointer / Vance Muffs / Deteknix HD Muffs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't use notch pretty much because of this forum. I've read so much here about using "full tones" and "0 disc", that's what I've gone to. Truth be told, I now like hearing everything and I think I've found some things I would have missed otherwise. So I really haven't found a use for notch. I'm sure there is one, just not for me at the time. Now I have to try negative disc.

Last edited:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Random thought: I wonder why they called it "negative discrimination" rather than "affirmative action"?

Seriously... has anybody done any experiments with how this negative disc affects depth, compared to 3.2? Is -6.4 going to give me about the same depth that 0 disc did before?

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been using -2.3 seemed right to me, I don't remember how I even came up with it.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Random thought: I wonder why they called it "negative discrimination" rather than "affirmative action"?

Seriously... has anybody done any experiments with how this negative disc affects depth, compared to 3.2? Is -6.4 going to give me about the same depth that 0 disc did before?

Yes

The depth will not be affected by the negative disc.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes

The depth will not be affected by the negative disc.
Thanks. By that, do you mean that anything less than zero will give the same depth as zero? Or, is -6.4 the "new zero", and a setting of 0 with V4.0 WILL affect depth? Does my question make sense?

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks. By that, do you mean that anything less than zero will give the same depth as zero? Or, is -6.4 the "new zero", and a setting of 0 with V4.0 WILL affect depth? Does my question make sense?

-6.4 to + 10 doesn't make a difference

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I am also in the camp of liking it more than v3.2 with 0 disc. I think it "see's" more iron targets now as iron and not a great coin signal. I also feel its more sensitive to iron in the ground could just be me though. I like to run the HOT program with reactivity at 2.5 / Disc -6 / TX 3 / 7khz /silencer -1 / sens 95-97
the machine is very chatty on whats in the ground and I feel like I am now getting a much more complete picture of what's under my feet.

I ran the Deus with a very similar program today and boy was it sparking! I tried R=1 for extra depth and it was just blasting my ears. R=2 and Silencer = 0 quieted it down quite a bit but it was still plenty hot. I think running with the negative discrim did improve the iron rejection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread