Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone used v4 and HF coil around saltwater tidal creeks? My Deus v3.2 with original coil chatters like a squirrel with its nuts caught in a vise in,and around pluff mud in tidal creeks in Charleston area. I've asked several people including dealers if the new HF coil is anymore stable than the original coil. Probably end up buying new machine for these areas

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a multifrequency machine for salt water. Single freqs will usually just chatter unless you detune them so far that you don't get any depth.

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a multifrequency machine for salt water. Single freqs will usually just chatter unless you detune them so far that you don't get any depth.

Great advice but was hoping my Deus with v4 and HF coil might be able to handle this better because 1- I Really like my Deus. 2- I would hunt these areas infrequently 3- I am one cheap SOB.
ANY DEUS users have any other thoughts

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I just ran the Deus on a salt beach... dry sand is ok. Wet sand only if you have nothing better to use. "Deus sucks in salt" is totally true. But I'm a trust and verify kind of guy and I've verified it yet again... perhaps I should begin to trust more, lol.

Multi-freak is the only way to go in salt. It's sadly true. Deus got humbled at Daytona. :thumbsup:

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ran the Deus on a salt beach... dry sand is ok. Wet sand only if you have nothing better to use. "Deus sucks in salt" is totally true. But I'm a trust and verify kind of guy and I've verified it yet again... perhaps I should begin to trust more, lol.

Multi-freak is the only way to go in salt. It's sadly true. Deus got humbled at Daytona. :thumbsup:

Did you use the stock coil or HF coil?

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I want a 2nd 3rd.and 4th option. Hahaha. Yeah I figured you wouldn't do any better than my salt experiences but I can dream can't I? Hope you found that Gold I wished on you using another machine. My only major complaint with Deus is saltwater chatter,

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I agree there are better machines for the salt. I do not believe your question was answered in regards to the HF coil.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you use the stock coil or HF coil?

Stock 11" coil V4.0. Just terrible in the surf with wet sand not much better. Coil pumping shows two bars short of the full scale lit up in the wet sand.

Something else I noticed playing out there this afternoon is factory dry beach program has setting of silencer 4! WTF? Sombody needs to rethink the factory settings...lol.

I cant imagine higher frequencies will improve the performance on wet salt beaches whatsoever. Would be good to be wrong on that point too. Plus the largest asset, recovery speed, it's a non-issue at the beach where almost nothing is colocated. I've yet to see any targets closer than 6 inches. Most are 60 feet!

Not an ideal unit for the shorelines unless you keep the coil away from the wet. IMO.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you, I see your sovereign performed really well in your other post. I've been having fun with the Excal on the beaches.

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I agree there are better machines for the salt. I do not believe your question was answered in regards to the HF coil.

Yes I definitely would like to hear from those that have used the HF coil around saltwater

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just go get a CTX

Look if I had Major Jon's Major $$$$ I'd buy 2. Now look aren't you supposed to be off somewhere eating a "sandwich" and riding goats or something.? Haha I guess some caves do have government internet.
Oh btw I talked to Nick today and we are going to your house and tell Mrs VMI that you want us to have All your hunt journals and all, maps with a Big X marks the spot. Thought you wouldn't need them for awhile anyway. Now that's our plan

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stock 11" coil V4.0. Just terrible in the surf with wet sand not much better. Coil pumping shows two bars short of the full scale lit up in the wet sand.

Something else I noticed playing out there this afternoon is factory dry beach program has setting of silencer 4! WTF? Sombody needs to rethink the factory settings...lol.

I cant imagine higher frequencies will improve the performance on wet salt beaches whatsoever. Would be good to be wrong on that point too. Plus the largest asset, recovery speed, it's a non-issue at the beach where almost nothing is colocated. I've yet to see any targets closer than 6 inches. Most are 60 feet!

Not an ideal unit for the shorelines unless you keep the coil away from the wet. IMO.

Oh yeah. The stock programs except fast, hot, and wet beach (um, yeah, that sounds like an MTV spring break show), have silencer set way too high. Also, for Gold Field silencer is NA, but you need TID to use it (which also limits depth for a diffetent reason). That's why I steer even newbies away from them as soon as possible, huge depth killers. All my custom programs start with Deus fast and I move on from there. Regarding HF and the wet salt beach, I doubt the present V4 will provide much benefit even with the new coils but would like some first hand confirmation. The HF coils should at least help with low counductve small gold and chains in dry sand, though the existing coils were no slouches in this a regard at 18khz.

Last edited:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well truth be told the money I spent on the Sov was allocated for both Deus HF coils. They blew that sale forever. I'll never be able to give first hand confirmation for those coils in the salt. There are no future XP purchases for me, but I'll keep what I have until I decide to trade-in for a CTX3030 perhaps.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A number of folks are still waiting for the elliptical hf coil to be released so I am not sure what percentage of folks pulled the trigger on the 9". So that could explain the lack of responses.

That being said, besides lacking in performance, I never considered the Deus to be built for the rigors of salt wet sand/shallow surf hunting (flimsy antenna kludge system/stressing over the posdibility of losing the remote).

Frankly, for Deus owners I consider a more cost effective solution than the CTX if you are going to spring for a machine that is built for salt surf is an Excal II. If I didn't already own a Deus, I might consider a CTX for a good all purpose amphibious machine. But I don't think the CTX offers that much more over the Deus as a pure terrestrial machine so why duplicate capability there and just get a machine optimized for beach hunting like the Excal and save about $1K. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G935P using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Last edited:

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I'm waiting for the 80 kHz Elliptical coil myself. Having said that I do not plan on using it for salt water. I use an Excal for that. I think there is something to be said for a dedicated land machine and a dedicated water machine.

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I'm waiting for the 80 kHz Elliptical coil myself. Having said that I do not plan on using it for salt water. I use an Excal for that. I think there is something to be said for a dedicated land machine and a dedicated water machine.

Well although I do use my Deus in freshwater My plans didn't include actually using it in saltwater Only the in the mud of saltwater tidal creeks during low tide.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread