Got a Silver Dime Trifecta with my Deus Yesterday!

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit a couple of late 1800's places with a buddy yesterday. He pulled out a 1923 merc dime and a 1908D Barber dime with his Deus, and I found all of this :

Attach3229_20170503_202709.jpg

Edit: The token on the lower-left reads, "Fred, Bob, & Andy St Paul, Minn" and "Good for 2 1/2 Cents in Trade" on the reverse. I haven't been able to find anything about "Fred, Bob, & Andy". I know that the US stopped minting half-cents in 1857, so am I right in assuming that mean that the token would be from around that period? The property that was found at was built in 1880, and but the area was settled as early as 1843.

Last edited:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Good hunt!

The trade token is probably from the mid to late 19th century as you suspect. I'm hardly an expert on coins and tokens but I recall reading that those tokens began to fall out of favor in the early 20th century and then became widely used again at the time coin operated video games were catching on. Something to do with skirting gambling prohibitions so arcades used tokens. :dontknow:

Post it in the "what is it" section and there are several people here who can probably ID it. TNet is great for crowd sourced ID's in my experience.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks...I posted that in the Tokens forum. Hopefully someone there will be able to give me some more information.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Iron Buzz! Nice recovery.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back to the same house today. My buddy dug a 1900 Barber quarter today from the same site as yesterday. Then, a few minutes later he got two 1950-something quarters and a Merc dime all from one hole! I got a 1916 Merc, a 1906 Indian, and a 1919 Wheatie. We were very fortunate to get permission to hunt this fine old home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread