New HF elliptical coil

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been following Gary's posts in another forum. Here are his thoughts on the HF 9" vs the HF Elliptical. I may have to reassess my plan....still contemplating what to do.

Been having a lot of fun with it, the depth is not outstanding but that's understandable due to its size.
74 Khz is very well behaved and has proved to be a killer on a junky Roman site.
I think it will be a good coil for special sites but not your everyday choice....unless you search good sites all the time I guess :)

Regarding the top end frequencies 50k and 80k, personally I think the round white HF will be more versatile, the HF Elliptical is more for specific sites and of coarse nugget hunting.
They are not so good in conductive ground (Wet).
More suited to the low end target range that can easily be consumed by the ground signal, 35 to 45 TID.

Low to mid frequencies 14k and 28k :
Elliptical - Better target separation.

Round - Deeper and better ground coverage.

It really depends on your sites and what you are looking for, the standard Black coil certainly still has its place especially the lower frequencies when searching conductive ground.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info. Thanks jadocs. Hmm. Some thinking to do. I was really impressed by Gary's video on the hf coil (9") response to that tiny mid conductive target at 54k. I also like how he addressed edge on coin performance. Something that could open up some "hunted out" sites.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm still wrestling with it.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I've pulled the trigger on the HF 9". I think it makes sense since the Elliptical is so specialized and suffers in depth (in comparison). I may decide to get the Elliptical in the future if I ever have the need to go beyond 55 kHz.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More info from Gary FYI:

I have one Roman site that has been really worked hard over the years and full of Iron, targets recently have been few and far between. Conditions are dry with crop just showing.
The HF Elliptical is a killer at 70k on this site, the small targets I'm finding are mostly lead and the odd piece of coin and artefacts The depths ranging from just under the surface to about 5".

Im digging much more non ferrous on this site compared to the other coils including the 9" HF.
That one site has proved to me the advantages the Elliptical HF coil offers.
The reality is I only have one site like it.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm holding out for the elliptical coil, I want that high Frequency range, plus I like the looks of the elliptical better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was too but the depth difference kind of killed it for me. Now if I was hunting a site like Gary's above (last quote) or a gold field it would be a different story. My original plan was to use the lowest frequency to see how it did as far as separation on regular sites and have the option to bump up the frequency if I ever had a site with small gold. If I'm honest with myself the 9" would be more practical with its increased depth, plus it still goes up to 55 kHz.

miprice73

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually emailed XP the other day about the release date for the elliptical. They replied back with early June as the current planned release.

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the round HF will buy the elliptical, I have no choice as I am an addict.......

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now accepting pre-orders for the Elliptical coil, expected delivery late June or July.

Wayne

https://metaldetectingstuff.com/pro...ical-waterproof-dd-high-frequency-search-coil
Hey Wayne, I'd just like to thank you very much for selling me my 9" HF coil. Found my first nugget with it last Saturday. 0.5 grams. And the following day, I went out and found an 1853 seated dime and a draped bust LC. This thing does it all.

If anyone is wondering about the gold capabilities of this coil, don't. This thing is a beast. It'll find a mere speck of gold far too tiny to pick up with your fingers. I honestly don't see how it could get any better than this. Also, I was running the sensitivity at 99 and it was as quiet as a mouse - until it had gold under the coil.

This half gram nugget almost blew my headphones off.

It does very well for relic hunting and coinshooting too. In fact, I haven't even used my 11" since I got this one. Highly impressed is an understatement. 2017-05-30_20.26.21.jpg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What frequencies were you running for each of those finds (the coins vs. the nugget). Awesome.

Going to have to seriously consider the 9" hf for some small beach gold, now.

Last edited:

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What frequencies were you running for each of those finds (the coins vs. the nugget). Awesome.

Going to have to seriously consider the 9" hf for some small beach gold, now.
Well for gold, I max it out at 58.8 kHz. For coins, I bring it as low as it'll go, 13.3 kHz I think. And for those areas that won't produce any more, I hunt in the middle frequencies. You'd be surprised at the small stuff you find that nothing else would touch. Also, that's the realm where on-edge coins live.

mstreenz

Apr 30, 2017
Downs, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, E-Trac, AT Pro, GTI 1500, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's very impressive. I am secretly hoping that my wife got me one for Father's Day!

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's very impressive. I am secretly hoping that my wife got me one for Father's Day!
Yeah that would be a killer Father's Day gift...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Wayne, I'd just like to thank you very much for selling me my 9" HF coil. Found my first nugget with it last Saturday. 0.5 grams. And the following day, I went out and found an 1853 seated dime and a draped bust LC. This thing does it all.

If anyone is wondering about the gold capabilities of this coil, don't. This thing is a beast. It'll find a mere speck of gold far too tiny to pick up with your fingers. I honestly don't see how it could get any better than this. Also, I was running the sensitivity at 99 and it was as quiet as a mouse - until it had gold under the coil.

This half gram nugget almost blew my headphones off.

It does very well for relic hunting and coinshooting too. In fact, I haven't even used my 11" since I got this one. Highly impressed is an understatement. View attachment 1459035

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad it's working out so well for you.

Wayne

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread