Frequency Selection for Coins on Edge

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, there is some thought that the reduced edge on profile will be more detectable with the higher frequency coils. Gary even mentions it in one of his recent videos.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes. Higher frequency sees smaller targets. A coin on edge is about as small as a coin can be. Put it on edge at depth test it out. The standard frequencies are spread enough to show the differences, esp. between 4 or 8 and 18.

mstreenz

Apr 30, 2017
Downs, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, E-Trac, AT Pro, GTI 1500, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed. I have done this test and there is a a lot of difference between frequencies with coins on edge. I have a couple sites that finding coins is getting less and less. I have future plans of hunting them with higher frequencies to see if I can get a few more coins. The sites that I hunt also have .22 shorts and I don't know if the trade off will be worth battling the small items. Regardless, i'm sure i'll attempt it. I'd love to hear your results!

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same thoughts as above, when I first hit a site I go over it with my "deep" program. Which runs high sensitivity and 4Khz frequency and discrimination around 5. After I hit it with that I will use my "hot" program which is set for 12Khz, sensitivity set to 87 and -6.4 discrimination. With the hot program I dig every little high pitched sqeak, yes I'll dig some iron but those good targets are mixed in with the iron so you have to put the work and time in. They call it dirt fishing for a reason lol, you never know what your going to catch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thoughts as above, when I first hit a site I go over it with my "deep" program. Which runs high sensitivity and 4Khz frequency and discrimination around 5. After I hit it with that I will use my "hot" program which is set for 12Khz, sensitivity set to 87 and -6.4 discrimination. With the hot program I dig every little high pitched sqeak, yes I'll dig some iron but those good targets are mixed in with the iron so you have to put the work and time in. They call it dirt fishing for a reason lol, you never know what your going to catch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Great post Austin - good strategy. Hitting the site two ways (two directions) and with two different frequencies is like hitting it with two different detectors.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. I have done this test and there is a a lot of difference between frequencies with coins on edge. I have a couple sites that finding coins is getting less and less. I have future plans of hunting them with higher frequencies to see if I can get a few more coins. The sites that I hunt also have .22 shorts and I don't know if the trade off will be worth battling the small items. Regardless, i'm sure i'll attempt it. I'd love to hear your results!

Frustrating with those small modern bullets but you basically have no choice if you are going to squeeze all the targets out of the site. Good job.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely have no technical expertise, but seen how much this matters going from my single freq. GTI with a concentric coil, to a Minelab Explorer multi freq. detector with the DD coil. I was never sure if it was the freq difference, the coil, or just something different about the guts of the detector, why the Explorer was so much better at seeing targets on edge. But it was drastic enough it should be a topic that comes up much more often. Now after 15+ years I take it for granted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions