Rainy Day Project - Gold Ring ID Numbers

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are just a few of the rings that I found mostly with my Tesoro detectors while dirt fishing with the discrimination set just barely high enough to reject iron nails. So this should give a really good sampling of gold rings that would be found out while dirt fishing. I'm trying to come up with a gold ring program for my Deus that will give me the best odds without digging myself to death. You can't get them all, but it looks like you can get 2/3rds of them by digging everything between foil caps and beaver tail pull tabs. I'd high tone that range and mid-tone beaver tails up to zinc pennies and high tone everything above zinc pennies. Any suggestions and program recommendations would be welcome.

I tested all the gold rings in both 17kHz and 12kHz. The first ID number is using 17kHz and the second number is using 12kHz.

tabman

10k 1.95g gold ring - 46 - 40
10k .84g gold ring 40 - 35
14k 4.16g gold ring 60 - 51
14k 6.25g gold ring 80 -71
10k 5.63g gold ring 64 - 54
10k 4.5g gold ring 80 - 71
14k 8.53g gold ring 85 - 78
14k 1.74g gold ring 57 - 48
14k 7.99g gold ring 79 - 69
14k 8.25g gold ring 81 - 74
14k 4.35g gold ring 73 - 63
10k 2.21g gold ring 41 - 33
10k 1.88g gold ring 64 -54
10k 2.42g gold ring 69 - 59
14k 4.58g gold ring 74 - 64
10k 3.74g gold ring 67 - 57
10k 2.02g gold ring 54 - 45
14k .98g gold ring 45 - 39
14k 2.58g gold ring 63 - 53
10k 2.92g gold ring 62 - 52
10k 2.17g gold ring 57 - 48
10k 4.33g gold ring 68 -57

Last edited:

usmcscorpio

Oct 7, 2003
Delaware
Nice job on the ring I.D.'s Tabman!

You can actually set-up your Deus with "I.D. Norm" set to the "ON" position. I recommend doing this for sure! (ensures VDI's stay (for the most part) consistent no matter the frequency.

If the ID NORM feature (described below) is OFF, the targets' VDI values (conductivity values) will change when the operation frequency is changed.

The VDI value for a specific target is CONSISTENT across the Deus' four operational frequencies when the ID Norm option is activated.​ (page 27 of the Deus v3.0 User's Manual).

If this feature is not activated, a VDI value of a non-ferrous target will decrease when a lower operation frequency is selected.

The ID Norm feature can be accessed by pressing "Option" ---> "Configuration" ---> "Profile" ---> "ID Norm".

I use the 12Khz Frequency almost exclusively....the only down-side to that Frequency (in my opinion) is that some of the Clad/Silver VDI's run closely together. ie: clad/silver dimes & quarters)

I'm still learning the Deus myself, but starting to get very good with distinguishing clad from silver just from the VDI, and (full-tones) Tone I.D.

I'm sure others have additional info on this...but my time on the soap-box is over! :laughing7:

Hope this helps! Good luck & Happy Hunting!

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would consider ID norm useful if XP chose to reference it to one of the mid frequencies (preferably 8 khz) rather than 18 khz which tends to jam all the high conductor numbers together at the high end (remember, you cannot have a TID # > 99, and you only have about 32 tones regardless of frequency). As a result you lose some ability to differentiate high conductors with ID norm on (ID norm affects both visual and tone ID). Also, sometimes you can use the frequency effect to ferret out circular junk targets that like to ring up high simply by switching frequencies on the fly as you swing over a target. Hence, I am firmly in the ID norm off camp. But that's the beauty of the Deus - options. So stick with whichever setup works best for you (If it ain't broke don't fix it) as there are pros and cons to either approach as you can see. In any event, the option is there if you want to experiment with it to see what works best for you. What works best for YOU (not vferrari or usmcscorpio) is the RIGHT answer, we can only tell you why it works best for us.

Tabman - as far as gold is concerned if it rings up between 45 and 60 on 12 khz I am digging it unless it sounds "screwy" enough to definitely be a piece of canslaw or a mangled pull tab. I know that most of the time I will be pulling aluminum out of the ground or the occasional nickel, but can't take the chance of leaving gold for the other guy. Those damn beavertail rings (without the tail/tongue piece) sure sound as sweet in the Deus as a wedding band, unfortunately. Nickels tend to hit "harder" than rings (that solid metal coin like tone) but so do shallow, pristine pull tabs, so you never know for sure. I just use my standard no disc full tones program (reactivity at 2.5, silencer at -1 )and shift between my two frequency variants and x-y/horseshoe screens using the +/- buttons as follows:

Custom Pgm 1: Gold Field at 4 khz (use: pinpointer for deep, faint non-ferrous hits on the higher freq Pgms below, deep searching)
Custom Pgm 2: No Disc, Full Tones 8 khz, x-y screen
Custom Pgm 3: No Disc, Full Tones 8 khz, horseshoe screen
Custom Pgm 4: No Disc, Full Tones 12 khz, horseshoe screen
Custom Pgm 5: No Disc, Full Tones 12 khz, x-y screen
Custom Pgm 6: No Disc, Full Tones 18 khz, horseshoe (use: small gold/dry beach)
Custom Pgm 7: Gold Field at 18 khz (use: pinpointer, small gold)

At this point I am finding that the xy screen is just confirming what I already have surmised from the tone in my headphones, that screwy/fuzzy tone translates into a sguiggley xy plot and is therefore likely junk, move on. I just mainly toggle between pgms 3 and 4 with an occasional foray down to 1. And search with either pgm 3 or 4, whichever freq has the least EMI at the site.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread