Got my MI-6

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My issue with the MI-6 and HF elliptical coil, the MI-6 doesn't connect properly to headphones/remote so I get no sound from the headphones. I have to turn the MI-6 off and on a few times to get connection. Sucks tempted to try V4.1 again but nervous as I had a bad experience before.
- takes a long time to switch back to the coil after using the MI-6 to find a target, killing speedy hunting time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those of you who have the MI-6, what are your thoughts about the side that the power button is on?
Appears to be made for left handers and makes it awkward to turn on and use right handed. Ergonomically it is the one thing I dislike about the MI-6.

I also get the intermittent tones and failure to reactivate the coil when the MI-6 is turned off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TreasureNet.com mobile app

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Appears to be made for left handers and makes it awkward to turn on and use right handed. Ergonomically it is the one thing I dislike about the MI-6.

I also get the intermittent tones and failure to reactivate the coil when the MI-6 is turned off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TreasureNet.com mobile app

I have come to the conclusion that the power button is on the correct side. But the scraper blade is upside-down.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one IB - LOL. I just got used to the damn button placement. I have my pinpointer on my left side pouch anyway and when I do an initial surface scan for relatively shallow (4 to 6") targets, I am still usually holding on to my detector in my right hand and scanning with the MI-6 with my left. Once I start recovery, I put the detector down and use the digging tool in my right hand with the pinpointer still in my left. It's powered on at that point so it doesn't really matter what hand I have it in, but I guess it just works as a left handed on button for me now. I know that when I go back to my Carrot for hard core relic hunting with a my Minelab GPX, it will probably screw me up, but I am not sure I will want to shift the MI-6 into standalone mode. But we'll see when I get out there and start the fall relic hunting routine.

Theppgcowboy

Aug 15, 2017
Western Montana
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Mi6 too. I will get chatter when not paired to the Deus. When I have the Mi6 and the Deus paired, it is very quiet. I really like the feature that the coil will turn off when the Mi6 is on, and when the Mi6 is turned off, the coil turns back on. No problems here.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pin pointer is better than no pin pointer but I'll miss the X1 probe's tone ID. I can't see hip mounting an Explorer just for the X1 probe but who knows, if I'm in heavy iron maybe. If they had made the MI-6 with tone ID same as the main coil, wireless, that would have been the ticket.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Mi6 too. I will get chatter when not paired to the Deus. When I have the Mi6 and the Deus paired, it is very quiet. I really like the feature that the coil will turn off when the Mi6 is on, and when the Mi6 is turned off, the coil turns back on. No problems here.
What frequency is your detector on when you are getting that chatter? (not that it matters... I'm sure it is annoying) I haven't tried using mine unpaired, as that seems to be the only advantage besides that sexy red color. Oh, and the ease of changing the sensitivity is nice.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A pin pointer is better than no pin pointer but I'll miss the X1 probe's tone ID. I can't see hip mounting an Explorer just for the X1 probe but who knows, if I'm in heavy iron maybe. If they had made the MI-6 with tone ID same as the main coil, wireless, that would have been the ticket.
Yeah, XP certainly missed a great opportunity for that. But the Deus architecture would mean that the pinpointer would have to include a complete (or at least a subset of) "brain", just like the coils. It would be very expensive and it may be that the chip isn't even small enough to put into a pin pointer. But that would be sweet!

Theppgcowboy

Aug 15, 2017
Western Montana
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron buzz, I always got a little ticking it seemed, on every frequency I was on. Pairing fixed that.

Last edited:

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, XP certainly missed a great opportunity for that. But the Deus architecture would mean that the pinpointer would have to include a complete (or at least a subset of) "brain", just like the coils. It would be very expensive and it may be that the chip isn't even small enough to put into a pin pointer. But that would be sweet!

So I should disassemble the 9 inch coil and make a pin pointer using its electronic bits, good idea! :icon_thumright:

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one, and find that I like it in Stand alone mode which allows me to re scan the hole without turning on/off the pin-pointer. I put it in vibrate, to feel the target and leave the light on, so I can see the pin-pointer is still on, and to turn it off.
The switching back and forth between coil active and pin-pointer active becomes a problem for me, plus when I hunted with my girlfriend in Colombia, I gave her the pin-pointer and let her find the target for me, on the beach.
the changing of all the setting is very difficult and seems way over blown for the price, so I find a mode I like and leave it.
Occasionally I have changed modes by holding down the button too long, but try to just on/off it so as not to do that..
seems good for a pin-pointer, and more sensitive than the one I used for my DFX. does seem to vibrate everywhere some, at some times, so I just put it in the dirt and press the button again and it re-tunes it so it doesn't vibrate except on the target.
my two cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread