I wonder if the new HF coils will help with wireless routers and dog fences

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been finding more and more homes that either have wireless routers or in ground dog fences that drive the Deus crazy so I wondered if using a higher frequency coil would be able to not be as affected by these situations? I was at a couple of very choice old homes today and pretty much could not do much there due to the all the chatter. I lowered sens all the way to 75, lowered tx to 1, upped disc to 10 just to see if any of that would help and it did but very little. IF the hf coils can overcome that problem it might be something to consider.
If any of you have any experience with using the HF coils around these devices please let us know.
thanks

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you try all four frequencies and their offsets?

The new HF coils may help only because they give you different operational frequency choices and a wider range of offset frequencies, but not because they are inherently immune to wifi interference because we are still talking about kilohertz (Deus) vs. gigahertz (router) frequencies. Note that HF coils are locked at Tx = 2 for all frequencies.

This is my approach to power line noise and other EMI situations such as wifi:

Make sure batteries are charged (pretty basic, but borderline battery charge can cause issues as voltage lowers) and properly initialize your detector by turning it on with the coil in the air (hip height) and away from large metal objects such as your vehicle until you get to the main screen. Ensure GB is within +/-3 of actual ground reading (my default GB setting is Tracking for Ver 4 software). Engage Ground Notch fully in the Expert Menu under Ground Balance (press "-" button until entire bar is black). Note that Ground notch reduces ground feedback noise and does not affect detectable depth - it appears to be one of the no brainer free lunch tweaks everyone should be using. After you have all these basics either committed to your startup routine or embedded in your custom programs (e.g., Ground Notch, GB Tracking - which is my default GB method) then:

(1) Find the quietest frequency, though you may still have noise so you will still have to pursue the below tweaks in rough order of effectiveness without appreciably sacrificing performance. Corollary: Switch coils. Each coil has a unique base frequency based on how it was wound. If you have a 9" coil and an 11" coil, the 11" may be quieter than the 9" at this particular site so use it even if you prefer the 9", normally. Try it out. Similarly, the HF coils, as mentioned above, have completely different operational frequencies, so if you have the 9" legacy coil acting up, try the 9" HF coil. You are not missing out on much capability wise because 14khz (the lowest HF coil frequency) is similar to 12 khz and the higher coil frequencies may be immune to noise at the site altogether which may slightly disadvantage you on high conductors, but the coil will still work and if it enables you to keep Sensitivity high, then it may be worth it.

You can also try frequency offsets because you can see that the first three base frequencies of the legacy coils are roughly multiples of each other (4, 8, 12) so if you have a problematic frequency interfering at 8 khz, then it will also probably affect 4, 12, and possibly even 18 - offset can sometimes make a bigger difference than changing base frequency but the problem with offsets is that Tx power gets locked at 3 which can be counterproductive and 4 khz cannot even be offset (and is also locked at Tx=3). Note as mentioned above that the HF coils are locked at Tx=2 regardless of frequency chosen (including offset frequencies).

(2) Lower Tx Power. Lowering usually has little adverse effect on detectability but can have a huge affect on reducing noise or improving detectability in mineralized ground.

(3) Lower sensitivity. Wouldn't go lower than 80 or 85 unless abosolutely necessary. If you don't really get relief from noise in the 80's, lowering it further is only going to just reduce detectable depth without actually fixing the noise problem.

(4) Increase Disc. to about 10 or 15. Consider notching out lower to mid TIDs if you are just going for silver or other high conductors. You will miss out on mid-conductors (gold, brass relics, nickels) but may be worth it if nothing else works.

(5) Adjust Reactivity up/down as needed (desperation move here, can't really see it making a difference, but you never know) and/or increase silencer (Expert Setting under Reactivity). Latter may significantly affect depth without really improving noise situation, but you can give it a shot.

Note that I have found that even in really noisy situations, especially with ground conductivity issues (e.g., salt beach noise). If there is a decent, strong signaled target there, then you will still hear it above the noise. Really faint targets, not so much. So the noise, mostly just drives you nuts but doesn't appreciably affect detectability for a majority of targets.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Otherwise give up on that site and spare the mental agony... [emoji5]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
gene the machine

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks... i'll try those options and let you know how it goes.

Did you try all four frequencies and their offsets?

The new HF coils may help only because they give you different operational frequency choices and a wider range of offset frequencies, but not because they are inherently immune to wifi interference because we are still talking about kilohertz (Deus) vs. gigahertz (router) frequencies. Note that HF coils are locked at Tx = 2 for all frequencies.

This is my approach to power line noise and other EMI situations such as wifi:

Make sure batteries are charged (pretty basic, but borderline battery charge can cause issues as voltage lowers) and properly initialize your detector by turning it on with the coil in the air (hip height) and away from large metal objects such as your vehicle until you get to the main screen. Ensure GB is within +/-3 of actual ground reading (my default GB setting is Tracking for Ver 4 software). Engage Ground Notch fully in the Expert Menu under Ground Balance (press "-" button until entire bar is black). Note that Ground notch reduces ground feedback noise and does not affect detectable depth - it appears to be one of the no brainer free lunch tweaks everyone should be using. After you have all these basics either committed to your startup routine or embedded in your custom programs (e.g., Ground Notch, GB Tracking - which is my default GB method) then:

(1) Find the quietest frequency, though you may still have noise so you will still have to pursue the below tweaks in rough order of effectiveness without appreciably sacrificing performance. Corollary: Switch coils. Each coil has a unique base frequency based on how it was wound. If you have a 9" coil and an 11" coil, the 11" may be quieter than the 9" at this particular site so use it even if you prefer the 9", normally. Try it out. Similarly, the HF coils, as mentioned above, have completely different operational frequencies, so if you have the 9" legacy coil acting up, try the 9" HF coil. You are not missing out on much capability wise because 14khz (the lowest HF coil frequency) is similar to 12 khz and the higher coil frequencies may be immune to noise at the site altogether which may slightly disadvantage you on high conductors, but the coil will still work and if it enables you to keep Sensitivity high, then it may be worth it.

You can also try frequency offsets because you can see that the first three base frequencies of the legacy coils are roughly multiples of each other (4, 8, 12) so if you have a problematic frequency interfering at 8 khz, then it will also probably affect 4, 12, and possibly even 18 - offset can sometimes make a bigger difference than changing base frequency but the problem with offsets is that Tx power gets locked at 3 which can be counterproductive and 4 khz cannot even be offset (and is also locked at Tx=3). Note as mentioned above that the HF coils are locked at Tx=2 regardless of frequency chosen (including offset frequencies).

(2) Lower Tx Power. Lowering usually has little adverse effect on detectability but can have a huge affect on reducing noise or improving detectability in mineralized ground.

(3) Lower sensitivity. Wouldn't go lower than 80 or 85 unless abosolutely necessary. If you don't really get relief from noise in the 80's, lowering it further is only going to just reduce detectable depth without actually fixing the noise problem.

(4) Increase Disc. to about 10 or 15. Consider notching out lower to mid TIDs if you are just going for silver or other high conductors. You will miss out on mid-conductors (gold, brass relics, nickels) but may be worth it if nothing else works.

(5) Adjust Reactivity up/down as needed (desperation move here, can't really see it making a difference, but you never know) and/or increase silencer (Expert Setting under Reactivity). Latter may significantly affect depth without really improving noise situation, but you can give it a shot.

Note that I have found that even in really noisy situations, especially with ground conductivity issues (e.g., salt beach noise). If there is a decent, strong signaled target there, then you will still hear it above the noise. Really faint targets, not so much. So the noise, mostly just drives you nuts but doesn't appreciably affect detectability for a majority of targets.

Hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread