What Are The Best Settings For Unmasking A Dime Going Down The Lengh Of The Nail?

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm bored so I'm going to do some videos comparing detectors. Everytime that I do a video people say you should have used so and so settings instead. Now here's your chance to tell me what the Deus's best settings are to unmask the dime as pictured below going down the length of the square nail. Would the results be any different if I buried the same setup and did the test that way instead of testing on top of the ground?

tabman

Attachments

• DSCN7558.JPG
    DSCN7558.JPG
    449.1 KB · Views: 94

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you use a seated dime instead? More realistic with a square nail. lol. Seriously, though I think it might make a difference if it were buried (say about 4 inches) because you can better assure that the coil is a fixed distance from the targets if you are going to run a multi-detector test. As far as Deus settings are concerned:

GB: Manual, within +/-3 of actual GB reading or use tracking.

Ground Notch: Fully cut in (Expert setting under Ground Balance - press the "-" sign until the entire bar is black)

Disc = either no disc (-6.4 for ver 4) or disc=10 pretty much covers the gamut. I personally like to hear the iron, others like to disc it out. Either way works and should not affect detectability.
Expert:Tones = Full (again a personal choice that does not really affect detectability). Obviates need to set up tone breaks and iron volume setting.

Sensitivity = 90 is a good Middle of the road option.
Expert: Tx Power = 2

Frequency = 8 or 12 khz (at 4 inches shouldn't matter what frequency you use, these are the most common choices. Use the one that is less chatty wherever you are doing the test, you can even use 18 khz, if necessary)

Reactivity = 2.5 or 3 > this is the most crucial setting, the one that most affects the ability of the Deus to separate high conductors from iron. Higher settings will enable faster recovery at the expense of less target signal duration. It would be interesting to see the lowest reactivity setting that would allow the target to still be captured.
Expert: Silencer = -1 (off) or 0, though it would be interesting to see how higher silencer settings would affect detectability. Higher settings might allow the nail signal to break up more, but depth is impacted

Audio Response: As desired. I typically just use 4 which gives a little lowering of signal response volume for deeper targets but they can still easily be heard.

Notch: None

Last edited:

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your arrows represent your only swing direction I think it's going to be a challenge, especially if that nail sits higher than the dime.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deus struggles a little with that test with the nine inch coil. I will give it a try with the 5x8 when it comes in. reactivity 3 or 4 silencer -1, 2 tones, iron vol 0, disc -2.5,, 17 kh

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your arrows represent your only swing direction I think it's going to be a challenge, especially if that nail sits higher than the dime.

Yeah. That's why sites should be gridded 90 degrees.

Would also like to do an edge on test with the hf coil.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. That's why sites should be gridded 90 degrees.

Would also like to do an edge on test with the hf coil.
I was not impressed with the air edge testing I did.....i need to see if the standard was any better, I can't remember how it was.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm really super impressed with all the finds that I have found with the Deus at sites that I've previously detected. It can't pass the test that I mentioned above like the Mojave can, but without a doubt the Deus is doing something special to be able to find so much stuff.

tabman

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it excels in the 3 d iron where targets are below the iron more than some. The racer 2 I had would pass the test better too but the deus smoked it in the thick iron so test are only so good. Lift the iron above the target and watch what happens to the racer 2.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just tried this (raised the nail above the coin by 2") and although still no luck with the HF coil testing East / West, when I rotated to North / South I was able to get a signal (R2 S2)...better signal at R 2.5. The 9" standard cannot pick up the coin, so the good news is this test shows the HF does separate better....i will charge the go pro and post a video

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping the elipitical will be even better.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was done with the elyptical

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll have to try that with the 9" HF vs. 9" standard and see what happens.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could not get better separation when I went to re test....eating crow, for now.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend you drink 6 beers and 2 shots of Fireball. This should cure you of your lack of detecting boredom. At any rate after you have drank all the alcohol, do the video and post it for us to comment on.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fireball is for women....6 beers a and 6 bourbons.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Tab, if he was to drink the bourbon he wouldn't be able to do the video.lol

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried countless tests with different settings to see if I could get the Deus with a 9" to hit a nail down the barrel and the only program that was any good at it was Non Motion All Metal Disc. But using this program in the field proved to be quite a bit tricky. There is a video where Gary shows how its used but I didnt have his luck in retaining stability.

Disc 6.1
Sens 99
Tune 0

Its not deep either but it will separate a dime from a 3" square nail and show "accept >>> ". Remove the dime and the nail is silent. Now get this program to work cleanly in the field and this thing could be amazing. And if this program got the depth of Gold Field it would be utterly amazing.

Edit: Encase you dont want to watch the video and you dont know, you have to hit the pinpoint button while in NMAMD to stabilize it.

Last edited:

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes there is a very special application of that program and only good in certain circumstances. I am going to out on a limb here and say if the silver is touching or within 1 inch no matter what ya do your not going to hear it. There is more iron then silver, I think the machines average out the signal so iron would over power the silver signal. Maybe try with a half or quarter and I bet it would come through

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to see the video using the HF Elliptical Coil settings:

Hot (program 9) to start with
Disc -6.4
4 Tones set
1st Tone set at 120 Hz and -6.4
2nd Tone set at 120 Hz and 35
3rd Tone set at 921 Hz and 99
4th Tone set at 120 Hz and max (99)

Reactivity 3, Silencer -1
Notch leave alone
Sensitivity 80
Audio Response 4
Iron Volume 2
Frequency 74kHz

Then see the results of the nail and dime test
Also add an aluminum pull tab or aluminum can shard

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes there is a very special application of that program and only good in certain circumstances. I am going to out on a limb here and say if the silver is touching or within 1 inch no matter what ya do your not going to hear it. There is more iron then silver, I think the machines average out the signal so iron would over power the silver signal. Maybe try with a half or quarter and I bet it would come through

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

You can actually hit a dime laying directly under a nail while they are both touching. With the disc set to 10 the nail will come through when close to the coil but drops off at about 2-3". The dime can be heard out to about 6" or maybe slightly more with some good phones. AMD needs to be improved or made a solid search program like Gold Field while retaining its iron see through.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread