Let's Talk Ground Notch

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In your soil there is no need to mess with the ground notch. If your dealing with a lot of hot rocks which usually fall in the mid 80s to 90s then you can notch them out so as not to hear them.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend who uses it here says it calms the machine down. I tried it fully engaged in my test garden didn't affect depth or separation from what I could tell. I ran it today fully engaged relic hunting with my friends program and seemed to do good . Now what does it do? your guess is as good as mine lol. If it quites the machine down I want to use though.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it doesn't affect anything other than say knock out hot rocks or quietens down the detector why even have a setting control for it? Why doesn't the factory just program it so it will always be on? I hate the unknown! LOL

tabman

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it doesn't affect anything other than say knock out hot rocks or quietens down the detector why even have a setting control for it? Why doesn't the factory just program it so it will always be on? I hate the unknown! LOL

tabman

I hear ya. It's one of those rare free lunches (no apparent downside according Andy Sabisch) so why not just build it in and not make it adjustable? Who knows. I just crank it in to all my custom programs now as a default setting (full black bar) and forget about it.

There are a couple (ha more than a couple) of things XP does that has me scratching my head - like those damn "hidden" undocumented filters in the Hot and Deep programs, the stupid default silencer settings that change automatically when you change reactivity, ID Norm defaulted to ON with ver 4 AND inexplicably referenced to 18 khz, why 4 khz has TX Power locked to 3, and why with all the other fancy stuff they do they couldn't have simply had Ground Balance track to a user adjustable fixed offset from the actual ground reading to name but a few. If I let all the inexplicable XP decisions keep me up at night, I wouldn't wake up in time to go detecting, lol.

Last edited:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of it this way, say your a meteorite hunter that acts a lot like hot rocks and makes your ground reading spike causing your machine to sound off. If you notch that out you won't hear the spike from the ground reading. Therefore missing the meteorite. More for gold prospecting purposes where some prospectors will GB out the hot rocks by GB over the hit rock. With the notch feature you can just notch them out without GB them out etc.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a test I'm gonna try. I negative ground balanced my machine one time and tried to hunt with it and it falsed on ground minerals. I'm thinking ground notch might help with that and thus make my deus even deeper by the negative ground balance. Just a thought.

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a test I'm gonna try. I negative ground balanced my machine one time and tried to hunt with it and it falsed on ground minerals. I'm thinking ground notch might help with that and thus make my deus even deeper by the negative ground balance. Just a thought.

Most of the ground in my area runs around a 75 - 80 so I set my programs to around 70 or slightly lower and use full ground notch. I also pretty much notch out everything but nickles dimes and quarters (I know I miss a lot), but I've noticed since doing this my nickle count has went way up. Im almost certain the negative ground balance helps hit deeper nickles. I could be wrong though... The machine does run very quiet.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thinks ive tested the neg gb in my garden it made it crush silver at depth. I think it might make iron false more so might not be the best for iron infested sites, what ive heard and not put to the test.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I find using Ground Notch to be particularly helpful when I crank up the TX and Sens, which is often :laughing7: It definitely quiets the ground response down. I have run it on and off with side by side programs and have not noticed any loss in performance with it on. I have very mild soil but in some places granite outcroppings definitely add to the ground chatter. Ground Notch helped that a lot.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It affects depth on certain targets got it on video doing so, will be up in a day or so.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It affects depth on certain targets got it on video doing so, will be up in a day or so.

It's somewhat refreshing to know that there are no free lunches after all. Can't wait to see this and I will gladly eat crow (and let Sabisch know). Lol.

Next up, since he is on a test garden video roll, need Calabash to verify depth impact of high silencer settings.

That should keep him busy until his elliptical shows up. Lol.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I LOVE the test garden videos! So with ground notch, I never noticed any change so I have never used it. I am very interested in loss of depth on some targets, looks like the way to run the Deus for max depth is a little -GB wide open with nothing notched no GB notching and silencer -1 reactivity 1
Another thing this shows is we really don't know sh*t about are machines and probably all use them in a slightly different way lol, nothing wrong with the different usage but I want to know EVERYTHING about the machine I am using and its functions or I feel I am at a competitive dissadvantage

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's somewhat refreshing to know that there are no free lunches after all. Can't wait to see this and I will gladly eat crow (and let Sabisch know). Lol.

Next up, since he is on a test garden video roll, need Calabash to verify depth impact of high silencer settings.

The test was with the eliptical coil it came today. I will try and remember to check silencer setting tommorrow

Last edited:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wouldn't it be nice to actually have a Deus engineer/programmer do discuss these things with us?

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Garrett Infinium LS, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice video! Any way you could try that same test with the legacy (non HF) coil? I'm interested to see what a difference it makes there.

I run full ground notch all the time because of the extreme ground effect and change in mineralization in my area. The ground notch quiets her down tremendously. Without it, I get a ton of falsing and I never know what's a solid signal. The ground I hunt is truly insane in the amount of change in mineralization. I run tracking gb and the ground notch to mitigate but I wonder if I'm missing anything now.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did notice a signal decrease on a deep target with the legacy coil when I tested it awhile back and that's why I never used it.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I only ever use it when I hit hot rocks. I have one area where the ground is barely mineralized, but the granite rocks/boulders max out the "Mineralization meter".
Before I figured it out, boy did I chase a couple of hot rocks! LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread