new elliptical coil depth test and unmasking

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Another great job on an informative video.
Thanks CD

scuba1954

Greenie
Oct 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just took delivery on my HF elliptical and have been watching your videos on you tube. I appreciate you taking the time to do this. I have a question. You keep referring to your relic program that you have set up using in V4. Would you please let me know which base program you are using and what modifications you have changed. I also assume you are using the V4 filters, I think I hear you say you are using the deus fast as a base that would mean you are using the V4 filters...thanks in advance. Missed you while you were fishing but we all need a break now and then.

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so the elliptical loses some depth but is better at unmasking from what i'm learning. So there is a trade off to some degree, the question is to what degree? Chances are I don't think we would normally use th HF coil for deep hunting relics or coins in less trashy areas but switch to the 9 or 11 LF coil. It seems to me that this elliptical is better than the 9 LF in iron or trash. Would you think so Calabash? Would you use this for open field relic hunting Calabash or more for heavy iron around cellar holes? Are there still TX settings on the HF coils?
When I'm in many farm yards that have a lot of iron in them I have to lower sens, then lower TX and raise the disc to get it stable enough to try to detect with the 9 LF but it looked like on your video that you had sens raised up so that could help with depth too.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would use the 9 or 11 LF for deep targets. The elliptical has great potential in iron just need to get some more time with it on some good iron infested sites to see how it behaves when it gets over good non ferrous relics buttons etc in iron. Both sites I have hunted with have a ton of iron but the good targets are almost nonexistent . tx settings are locked at 2 . As for my relic program I am using it on version 4 filters at this time but ALL of that is still in testing phase and might try 3.2 filters too. I need to get some hours under my belt with this coil 6 hours is just not enough to have it honed in.

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks a lot CD... NOT!!! now I had to go and get one of the these 9" elliptical coils too... I hope you're happy. XP should be giving you a cut for all that you do for them. LOL... Andy & Char gave me a great deal so if anyone else wants these check with them first. As soon as I get it I will be doing tests too and let ya'll know how it does. GL & HH

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm getting "This video has been removed by the user. ". Doing an update, CD?

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow erased it on accident will get another going in a few days. that stinks

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other use for this coil would be in highly mineralized dirt (but not necessarily iron infested) where you might get better depth(signal penetration) than an lf coil. Though in that case the 9" HF might be more suited than the elliptical because you would get slightly more depth. If it's mineralized AND heavy iron, the elliptical would be the best choice. Coil performance summaries as I see it (i.e., I could be wrong):

11x13" or 11" lf coil - max depth/max ground coverage (large, low mineralized fieldso, relatively trash/iron free). 11" preferred in general to 11x13" because not appreciable difference in depth plus the large elliptical unbalances and flexes the stock shaft.

9" lf coil- best all around high conductor workhorse coil. Better separation, better for tight spots than 11", not appreciably less depth than 11".

9" HF coil - great for small, mid conductors (gold nuggets, gold jewelry, antique brass buttons and hardware, small lead) at the 2 higher frequencies, especially for highly mineralized ground (high conductors (e.g., silver) will suffer depth loss vs. the lower conductors). Not appreciably less depth for high conductors than 9" lf at 14khz (similar to 9" lf at 12 khz).

9" x 5" HF elliptical - similar small, mid conductor performance, though slightly less depth than 9" HF round across the board but better separation in iron and trash. Higher max frequency than the 9" hf (smaller target resolution in mineralized soil).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good summary

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Good write up Vferrari. You and Calabash really help put things in perspective. I don't think the higher frequencies of the new coils will help me in sniffing out coppers at my cellar hole sites in my very mildly mineralized soils but I think the elliptical coil at its lower frequencies has potential to winkle those hard to get iron masked targets.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good write up Vferrari. You and Calabash really help put things in perspective. I don't think the higher frequencies of the new coils will help me in sniffing out coppers at my cellar hole sites in my very mildly mineralized soils but I think the elliptical coil at its lower frequencies has potential to winkle those hard to get iron masked targets.

Agreed. Large coppers look like high conductors to the Deus so not much of an advantage for the higher frequencies, but the elliptical operating at 14Khz may be the ticket for that situation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread