Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE:

The problem is NOT with the coil. The problem is with the battery connector. The battery is attached to the cord by a wire with a screw-on connector that has two tiny gold wire contacts that must be correctly fit into the socket on the battery. That cap is not keyed, and so it is easy to bend the wires when screwing the connector to the battery. That is what happened to me. I'm on my way to Harbor Freight now to get a set of dental picks and see if I can straighten the wires out. I called Moe immediately and told him about this and he said that he has seen this several times.

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN ATTACHING THE BATTERY!

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE:

The problem is NOT with the coil. The problem is with the battery connector. The battery is attached to the cord by a wire with a screw-on connector that has two tiny gold wire contacts that must be correctly fit into the socket on the battery. That cap is not keyed, and so it is easy to bend the wires when screwing the connector to the battery. That is what happened to me. I'm on my way to Harbor Freight now to get a set of dental picks and see if I can straighten the wires out. I called Moe immediately and told him about this and he said that he has seen this several times.

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN ATTACHING THE BATTERY!

(correction: the gold pins are on the battery, the socket is on the wire. Still... be careful when attaching)

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm wondering if others bent the pins while trying to set up the coil? This KS for the heads up I was very careful and now have a 9.5 elliptical coil that seems to work as advertised so far. Haven't got to test in the garden yet but I'm happy it works!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm wondering if others bent the pins while trying to set up the coil? This KS for the heads up I was very careful and now have a 9.5 elliptical coil that seems to work as advertised so far. Haven't got to test in the garden yet but I'm happy it works!

Yes, others have. Moe said that he himself has bent three or four. I'm surprised that he didn't come right to that conclusion when I called him!

I figured it out when I turned my remote on while the coil was in the charger. I turned it on to modify a program, but heard the coil chattering. I unplugged the charge and it quit. That's when I noticed that the coil battery indicator was showing it dead. However, the remote did not say "No Coil".

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hope you get it worked out. The pins on the coil I sent back were not bent it was just dead....

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hope you get it worked out. The pins on the coil I sent back were not bent it was just dead....
Yeah, I managed to catch Moe before he sent the new coil out (he wasn't going to send the complete package... just the coil). Instead, he's sending a new battery. Sucks that I can't try the coil out for a couple more days, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still, the same symptoms, apparently. What surprised me was no "No Coil" message that you generally get when the coil battery dies, as well as the 30K options in the Frequency/Expert selection. I haven't checked yet, but I'm guessing that perhaps 4.0 defaults to that when a coil isn't detected.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine will just say no coil, for ever if there is no coil around. Sounds like you're going to have to send it back I would give it a good slap on the butt.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine will just say no coil, for ever if there is no coil around. Sounds like you're going to have to send it back I would give it a good slap on the butt.

I guess you missed a few posts. Just had to send the battery back, and be more careful when I plug the new one into the wire connector.

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i also was amazed how tiny the coil pins were and there wasn't a slot to line the pins up with. it took me a few tries to be sure the pins were actually going in the holes. poor design.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i also was amazed how tiny the coil pins were and there wasn't a slot to line the pins up with. it took me a few tries to be sure the pins were actually going in the holes. poor design.

Yeah, I suspect we will see that alignment pin added in the future, once the battery returns get expensive enough. It is especially wicked because that is the very last step before you get to try out your new toy, and the urge to rush is a strong one.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding those who experienced bent battery pins, did the coil LED light up when you attempted to charge the battery? I would think that if you had a bent pin, you would not get a solid coil LED when trying to charge, nor would you get the continuous "heartbeat" LED blink when in standby. Just a thought in helping to troubleshoot whether you had a dead coil like Calabash (I recall he said he DID have the LED light) vs. bending the battery pins like Iron Buzz's problem.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Regarding those who experienced bent battery pins, did the coil LED light up when you attempted to charge the battery? I would think that if you had a bent pin, you would not get a solid coil LED when trying to charge, nor would you get the continuous "heartbeat" LED blink when in standby. Just a thought in helping to troubleshoot whether you had a dead coil like Calabash (I recall he said he DID have the LED light) vs. bending the battery pins like Iron Buzz's problem.
Good question, and yes, it did light while charging. It was a steady light, though... that was one of my first clues of what the problem might be.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had my first full day outing with my new coil (and thank you, Moe, for the replacement battery!). While we didn't find much at this fabulous 1840's permission we managed to obtain, I did find the coil to be extremely well-behaved. It was so quiet that I was able to bring the sensitivity up to 95 with almost no interference at all. A few quick air tests before I left home showed that I was able to get plenty of depth. And it turns the already featherweight machine almost into an anti-gravity machine. I sure do miss being able to drop to 4K to check for bottlecaps, though!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had my first full day outing with my new coil (and thank you, Moe, for the replacement battery!). While we didn't find much at this fabulous 1840's permission we managed to obtain, I did find the coil to be extremely well-behaved. It was so quiet that I was able to bring the sensitivity up to 95 with almost no interference at all. A few quick air tests before I left home showed that I was able to get plenty of depth. And it turns the already featherweight machine almost into an anti-gravity machine. I sure do miss being able to drop to 4K to check for bottlecaps, though!

I don't think you will miss not being able to drop to 4k to check for bottlecaps. I've found that they sound like crap at the higher frequencies especially if you slowly pass the coil over the edge of the cap and especially if you cut in some silencer. Since Calabash showed you don't lose all that much depth, if any, with silencer cut in even to max, it really further breaks up the signal so you know you are hitting a crappy crowncap rather than a coin. If there is any corrosion, then game over. It sounds nothing like a coin even if you occasionally get a high vdi/tid.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silly me for assuming the two slots for the washers in the lower arm would require 1 washer for each slot....oh well....its put together anyways, I figured a lubricant with no petroleum would be safe for the washers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If you are still using two washers you are putting too much stress on the coil ears.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pairing problems

Got my new 9"x5.5" coil in today and I'm getting frustrated trying to get it to pair up. I have verified several times that I have the serial number entered correctly. I even have deleted it and re-entered it. But when I select it, I get no signal, and the frequency options in the program menu are blank (although if I hit "Expert", the options there are for 30K). I want to get out and try this thing!

I did only charge it for about an hour before trying... could that be the problem?

I bought an 11 inch coil from eBay and it would not pair up, found out all it was, was that the 11inch was programmed for 3.4 and my remote is 4.0, once updated everything popped right on, just fine....
but before I was also getting the 'no coil' reading

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought an 11 inch coil from eBay and it would not pair up, found out all it was, was that the 11inch was programmed for 3.4 and my remote is 4.0, once updated everything popped right on, just fine....
but before I was also getting the 'no coil' reading
My problem was caused by the coil not being charged because I had bent the battery pins when putting it together. All is well now, and I'm loving the new coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions