Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never used the taught / written lessons of "notching out the high VDI numbers to avoid iron wrap around" - an experienced Dues user will know what iron wrap around / overload will sound like......yet another good "myth busters" video....

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing some will say I only open it up to 98-99 it doesn't matter notice the numbers with the id norm off and in 7 kh. One more IMPORTANT thing to remember if say you have it opened tom 98 and a target rings in at 97 its gonna make it sound like junk and notice the signal of the 5 inch merc in iron it all but killed it too. So a target that rings close to the notch window is gonna be affected by the notch setting and all it has to be is close to it.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes indeed.....i see the moral of your story (videos) is as relic hunters we need to keep it simple....use full tones and forget about notching and tone breaks and all that fluff stuff for cherry pickers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also must say, you could rewrite "The Book" if you wanted to, seriously....

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah but some cherry pickers think they are getting it all and these test showed that logic to be very flawed!

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have to tell me!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive always thought that anyone using a 97-99 iron wrap around notch is missing a lot of deep high conductors at least I know this for a fact when using 18khz(id norm). Anyone digging a lot of iron with the Dues also does not understand what they are hearing at least as far as full tones zero disc goes. I actually seem to dig more iron if I use even a little bit of discrimination

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I showed this over on the other forum and the first thing the guy did was smack me in the face with a Sabichs post about this only being a problem with 17 kh ,notice the first test 7 kh with id norm off. Proof is in the pudding.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I showed this over on the other forum and the first thing the guy did was smack me in the face with a Sabichs post about this only being a problem with 17 kh ,notice the first test 7 kh with id norm off. Proof is in the pudding.
Yeah you will have no luck over there at that forum.....for obvious reasons..

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
You are preaching to the choir with me Calabash. Notch = Discrimination. TDI's (especially on deep targets) are not always accurate. I don't use Notch. Maybe there is a use for it but you had better understand what it can do.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are preaching to the choir with me Calabash. Notch = Discrimination. TDI's (especially on deep targets) are not always accurate. I don't use Notch. Maybe there is a use for it but you had better understand what it can do.
N=D.....not really.....notch just blocks a tone from being emmited from the speaker or headphones where discrimination actually tells the coil not to even send or process the discriminated value at all, meaning the coil ignores iron, or whatever number you have it set to.....where notch just blocks the tone at the set value, say 25-32 for foil....the coil will see the foil, as the horseshoe will light up, just not produce a tone for it. With disc applied the horseshoe will not light up... This is how I understand it anyway

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Your Videos are always informative.
Use and apply them as you like... to each their own.
I've been a Deus user for 4+ years and except for the first year or so I've used full tones, 0 Disc and 0 Notch.
Learn the tones and all else is gravy.

Thank you CD for the Videos

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason notch seems to distort the signals especially the ones that come close to the notch window . I have been experimenting with a disc of 6 on some my iron infested foundations and really like and haven't found a downside in the test garden to it YET.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
N=D.....not really.....notch just blocks a tone from being emmited from the speaker or headphones where discrimination actually tells the coil not to even send or process the discriminated value at all, meaning the coil ignores iron, or whatever number you have it set to.....where notch just blocks the tone at the set value, say 25-32 for foil....the coil will see the foil, as the horseshoe will light up, just not produce a tone for it. With disc applied the horseshoe will not light up... This is how I understand it anyway

Notch has to be the most misunderstood function EVER. You could be right Tedyoh. I actually hope you are right because I like your explanation. I have been told by XP support directly from the factory in France a couple years back that is was the same as Discrim. It's just a block of Discrim that you can insert anywhere on the scale. Could have been a language issue :dontknow: It just amazes me there is so much conflicting opinion on this. I don't have a use for Notch at present. But it would be nice to definitively understand what it is.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm not 100% correct....i just ran the machine with Disc set at 10 and the horseshoe still "saw" the square nail, so the coil is still processing Disced out metal and sending info to the controler. I do still believe it is different than notch though. I'll do a depth test running the disc. up to 35 vs. notching 32 to 37.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're close enough, though. Disc applies some level of signal processing/filtering depending on the "strength" of disc applied which is set by the user based on the TID range. It is for this reason that setting disc above 15 or 20 will affect overall depth performance of the Deus. Notch is a pure audio blanking circuit and does not affect how the Deus processes the target signal. I am definitely a proponent of no disc and no notch. I let my crazy brain do the discriminating based on full tones sound quality/distortion and glancing at target ID and the horseshoe for depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread