copied this us coin program from page 102 of a book and it calls SILVER IRON!!!!!!

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Mike G.

May 4, 2017
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash, I'm looking forward to seeing your tests with the pitch mode. When testing this setting after getting my Deus a while back I just used my hot program which is very close to your relic program (full tones) and just switched to pitch mode in the tones menu leaving the other settings the same. My ground is very hot compared to your milder ground so I'll be waiting to see your results.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a small copper coin at 6" with a small nail at 3" above it just off center.
I'm in full tones for the first part, then i change to pitch. Towards the end you'll see me hitting the coin hard in pitch, then change back to full tones and sweep at the same angle, and you can see the difference.
In full tones the small nail drags down the tone of the coin so low i struggle to tell the difference between it and iron, also i think the pitch hits the coin from different angles better than full tones, you would have to come at the coin from the perfect angle to hit it in full tones.
I find the difference like night and day when hunting, and here in the UK many of the coins are tiny thin low conductors, so any advantage i can gain i take
I love the Deus in full tones, but i'd be walking past good targets using it on some of my sites, i also use 2 and 3 tones when i hit a bit of trash or coke infestation.

https://youtu.be/JuIF_WAed2M

Explain again how you know that pitch tone is not just hitting on the iron target? I use gold field sometimes and the pitch frequency and intensity merely tells you that you have a shallow or large target under the coil (like the pinpointer), you need the Target ID to tell you the conductivity of the target. The target ID should be the same whether you are in pitch or tones, shouldn't it?

[I hadn't yet gotten to reading Austin's post before I posted this, we are both basically asking the same question]

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've the disc set to 6.1, so i can hear the nail low tone beside the coin.

Explain again how you know that pitch tone is not just hitting on the iron target? I use gold field sometimes and the pitch frequency and intensity merely tells you that you have a shallow or large target under the coil (like the pinpointer), you need the Target ID to tell you the conductivity of the target. The target ID should be the same whether you are in pitch or tones, shouldn't it?

[I hadn't yet gotten to reading Austin's post before I posted this, we are both basically asking the same question]

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if it would sound the same if you had the nail next to an axe head? I'm thinking it would.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm basically using it like 2 tone, disc is at 6.1 so low tone for iron, then you get the pitch tone for everything else, it also gives a feel for target depth.
It doesn't unmask any better, but i find it alerts you to a masked target better and from more approach angles compared to full tones.

See to me I don't understand how you guys are using pitch cuz pitch will only give you a higher pitch when the targets closer to the coil it has nothing to do with ferrous or non-ferrous just distance from coil

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd probably get a pitch tone for the axe head.

I wonder if it would sound the same if you had the nail next to an axe head? I'm thinking it would.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm basically using it like 2 tone, disc is at 6.1 so low tone for iron, then you get the pitch tone for everything else, it also gives a feel for target depth.
It doesn't unmask any better, but i find it alerts you to a masked target better and from more approach angles compared to full tones.

Ok. I am understanding this better. You are basically using iron volume in pitch mode with the "tone break" being the discrimination setting. Two-tone vs. pitch doesn't give you the sense of depth, guess, correct? I guess you could lower audio response with two-tone to get the depth sense, but then the tone gets faint. Do I have that right?

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's it, i plucked this little medieval coin out today using pitch.

Ok. I am understanding this better. You are basically using iron volume in pitch mode with the "tone break" being the discrimination setting. Two-tone vs. pitch doesn't give you the sense of depth, guess, correct? I guess you could lower audio response with two-tone to get the depth sense, but then the tone gets faint. Do I have that right?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta get across the pond sometime. Bucket list.

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I prob should use descrim but I never do. I come from the f70 and so I'm use to chatter..

The iron tones tell me where something may have stood long ago.

I use 12 kHz tx 2-3 silencer -1 full tones no notches.

Deep targets squeak silently. No vdi.

In extreme iron worry not about depth... it's not going to happen.
Pick the off set high tone and dig!

Scarce can slaw and bottle caps I dig it all in cleaner sites. It sucks but you gotta dig crap to get treasure.

In Tennessee the sink rate is pretty low due to clay and chert. Deepest silver I've dug is 8 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's exactly what I diid too and just disc up to 10 and rid of all iron. I put it in pitch mode in the house and disc up to 10 and cut iron vol off and nail was gone too.
Calabash, I'm looking forward to seeing your tests with the pitch mode. When testing this setting after getting my Deus a while back I just used my hot program which is very close to your relic program (full tones) and just switched to pitch mode in the tones menu leaving the other settings the same. My ground is very hot compared to your milder ground so I'll be waiting to see your results.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I actually like using a lower audio response, those 'whispers' alert me to any deep (and often good) finds.
Feels odd to use the first time around, though! I gotta try pitch.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I used to full tones, I used gold field at the beach, it really sounded off on the tiniest targets in the sand. Similarly it worked well in highly mineralized soils because it seemed to me to punch through the muck. Target ID told me whether to dig or not and since it was pitch mode could easily discern the target size and pinpoint all at once. I still use a gold field variant program at 4khz as a custom ptogram slot if I want to get a different look at a target I've picked up in full tones.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Calabash Digger,

Thank you so much for all the videos, they are very informative!

Regards,

Doc

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks been hot so been doing test videos, but will have those finds videos up shortly.

JccEldreth

Feb 8, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Pro Pointer II and I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Calabash,
I have watched the video (s) and still am having trouble getting your program for deep silver coins. (I am a new deus owner)
Could you spell it out, I would love to try it.
Thank you!

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will switching to full tones fix this issue? I haven’t used the program on 102 but I have the programs on 105,106 loaded on my deus. Do those programs have the same issue?

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes same issue with full tones.
DEEP coin program.
TONES YOUR CHOICE
7KH SILENCER -1 REACTIVITY 2 , SOME RUN 1 IN CLEAN GROUND BUT I NEVER HAVE.
IRON VOL 1, DISC 6 TO 10, NO NOTCH, SENS 90 TO 93 AND TX 3 IF CAN GET AWAY WITH IT IN YOUR GROUND.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes same issue with full tones.
DEEP coin program.
TONES YOUR CHOICE
7KH SILENCER -1 REACTIVITY 2 , SOME RUN 1 IN CLEAN GROUND BUT I NEVER HAVE.
IRON VOL 1, DISC 6 TO 10, NO NOTCH, SENS 90 TO 93 AND TX 3 IF CAN GET AWAY WITH IT IN YOUR GROUND.

going to try this one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread