Might get along after all

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been a pretty frustrating couple days starting out . Going over everything I have went over with my ATP and getting nothing but junk until today . I can tell the deus is way better at separating but it seems my ATP w/5x8 coil did a good job of not missing much so far . Seems like I will be digging more deep iron than I did with my ATP but I guess that is the learning curve . image11945 merc.JPG

I like the weight of the deus , I like the way it folds up . I like being wireless .

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will not be digging more iron than the pro once you get your ear into the deus. How are you running it?

OP
OP
1942 merc

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On fast but changing frequency to 11.7 or 7.7 . I have tried running basic -1 and pitch and changing from tone to pitch on fast . The more time I spend with it the better it will get . It does not hurt to dig the trash that I left behind after learning the pro .

I have an old area that was untouched from back in the 1880s that was a athletic field a park and a military ROTC training area . I have dug many older silver coins there . The ATP quit producing for me .Tons of bottle caps tin foil trash nails pull tabs . Any tips for this area ?

I have watched a lot of your vids plus all 10 of the deus vids . It is a lot to take in right away . Basic -1 seems like it is not doing it for me .

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you running 3 tones or full tones? Hang in there it is just going to take time to get used to it.

OP
OP
1942 merc

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3 tones and pitch . If I could go outside . Mosquitoes are horrible .

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice and this is not easy takes some effort. Put disc on 6 and in full tones and dig till you cant dig anymore. I clicked with full tones and provides a ton of information and to me its the best way to run the machine but it takes a lot of practice. which ever tones you select choose one and stick with it you will never learn the machine and what its telling you in the begining switching back and forth to different tone settings. You can always do all that stuff later.

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
CD is right!
Pick a Tones setting and stick with it.
I tried switching back and forth to see which one was the best for me when I first started and it was one of the most frustrating things I did.
Switched to Full Tones and haven't looked back.
Now My Deus talks to me.. :laughing7:

OP
OP
1942 merc

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sticking with three tones for now and deus fast . Bottle caps are killing me . I left them with my pro as I could tell every bottle cap . The deus is reading in at 87 to 94 . 87 when out of the hole and 94 when in the ground with no indication it is not a coin . I am not finding what my ATP missed just the junk . I am wondering if my ATP got it all after all . I bring the coil back slowly to try and hear a buzz or some indication it is a bottle cap . The pro gives of a very reconcilable squelch for a bottle cap . I am not seeing this with the deus . The learning curve must be really tough on the deus .I only have two months left to dig so I better get back out there .

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sticking with three tones for now and deus fast . Bottle caps are killing me . I left them with my pro as I could tell every bottle cap . The deus is reading in at 87 to 94 . 87 when out of the hole and 94 when in the ground with no indication it is not a coin . I am not finding what my ATP missed just the junk . I am wondering if my ATP got it all after all . I bring the coil back slowly to try and hear a buzz or some indication it is a bottle cap . The pro gives of a very reconcilable squelch for a bottle cap . I am not seeing this with the deus . The learning curve must be really tough on the deus .I only have two months left to dig so I better get back out there .

The tone will tell you in time. Coins have a solid hit sound, ping! Bottlecaps sound more hollow. It's a subtle difference, but it is there. Also you get edge distortion if you pass the centerline of the coil slowly past the edge of the bottle cap or wiggle off it. Couple of other tricks that sometime work: shift frequency up, if target is a rusty cap target ID will go down instead of up, as long as you have ID norm off. You may also find target ID change when you lift the coil, a coin will stay rock solid. Also, you can try cranking silencer up to 4 (expert setting under reactivity) which will break up/distort a bottlecap tone, but should not affect coins. These tone tricks tend to be more effective in full tones, but should work in multitones too. Finally, I've found the HF coil running at higher frequencies really distorts bottlecap tones such rhat they are easily recognizable vs. coins. Try these out in a test garden with some crown caps and coins.

OP
OP
1942 merc

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks vf . I went back to basic one and went to 32 on the disc . Still dug more junk but not as bad . Found a few coins . It will take time and it is raining and I have no water tight case right now . I just have the 9 inch coil right now . I better build a test garden .

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
full tones will give a clue too on some caps. I don't like 3 tone, 4 tone, 5 tone, don't feel like I get the info that full tones provide.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to say that a lot of this sounds good, but I just got back from Colombia South America and there was a carpet of bottle caps from beer bottles. It seems impractical to wiggle or shift the coil over every target I get to try to determine if a bottle cap is a coin or not, that being said, the HF coil in Freq 74.0 kicked out almost all bottle caps and iron nails and iron trash on the beach. (and other places)
After digging about 100 bottle caps with all the other coils, I dug maybe one or two with the HF coil.
I can say that I did not try all configurations or Freqs of the other coils, after discovering this I just stayed with the HF coil, over the others.
So there may be other combinations of settings that kick them out as well...
Richard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread