My thoughts after a week with the XP Deus

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW...........Did I say wow? Started with an AT Pro, Have had an Etrac for the last 3 years and made some great finds, all on my signature at the bottom, and love it , a great machine! But last week I purchased this XP Deus from Keith at Fort Bedford and after using it almost everyday for the last week all I can say is WOW:notworthy: When I started I was basicaly a coin shooter, but always hit older parks, beaches etc. for the chance for the older stuff. Now I relic hunt 90% of the time. I am now able to hunt nail and iron infested sites, that my Etrac was rendered usless! and recover keepers!! Garys Sifter program is amazing, sounds like a machine gun with all the iron...........then a high squeek:laughing7: Saved some of his others as well. I caught on pretty quick, and think the key pad and the programing features are much easier to navigate,than the Etrac, especialy the foreword and back arrow to change programs on the fly! I have three 1870's sites in soybeans right now, can not wait to get back in there!!! Light, wireless and very fast, and finds the goods, whats not to like?:hello2::headbang::laughing7: Anybody looking for an Etrac?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same experience here, Minelab user and think the Deus is great in iron. Wouldn't be too quick to sell your Etrac though as it still does some things better. I think both together make an incredible combination.

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same experience here, Minelab user and think the Deus is great in iron. Wouldn't be too quick to sell your Etrac though as it still does some things better. I think both together make an incredible combination.

Agreed Iron Patch, It is a great machine, and I really like it, just not in the iron:BangHead:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed Iron Patch, It is a great machine, and I really like it, just not in the iron:BangHead:

It really depends on what you mean by that. The strongest point of the Deus is seeing masked targets in iron. The weakest as far as I can see is disc. on deep iron. In cleaner ground I will use my Explorer, and the Deus in iron. No question a person will dig iron with this detector, and likely a fair bit of it if you're working out the tough targets.... but it's worth it if it's getting you some extra non iron targets you would have otherwise not dug.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
SShhhhh...we have been trying to keep this quiet!

I have been using the Deus exclusively for over three years, and lying to all of the Etrac owners that I know. Now, YOU go and put up a post like this.

Welcome to the next level, and best of luck to you sir!

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have been using the Deus exclusively for over three years, and lying to all of the Etrac owners that I know. Now, YOU go and put up a post like this.

Sorry Tom, but I cannot contain myself:laughing7:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry Tom, but I cannot contain myself:laughing7:

Just wait... it'll get BETTER. The more you use it the more you will pick up on the subtle nuances of the machine. Oh yeah, how about weight? The Popeye forearm needed to swing the Etrac will disappear shortly!

Best of luck to you sir. I am looking forward to seeing some sweet finds for the iron patch.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fred
I`m happy that you like the Deus !
I`m also very new to the Deus !
For 27 years i`v had a real test area 400 yards form my house an circa 1818 cellar hole,i don`t consider the hole site my "test area" just an 20' X 30' area, sold and tested maybe 30 demo machines when in business and maybe 8 more over the years in this one spot.
I live way out in the country no one else digs there i can see this site from my porch, when the trees are bare, but maybe chipmunks and squirrels.
Some top of the line and mid line machines have failed there with much smaller coils no mid or high sounds just grunts .
I have the 11' coil and the Deus and i sorted through iron in my test area and got 1 silver dime and 4 other non ferrous targets... full tone/or two tone and hunted into the noise... the iron i dug...i dug cuz i could hear the ever so slight difference.
I also picked out good iron knowing it was iron... large Wood rasp, and 2 feet away a large Cold Chisel .
I haven`t hunted parks in 25 years so i would be lost in a park with this machine.
Tied it in the lake too... easy to pick out the crown caps and the beer and pop cans in the water/sand... First time Silver Ring.
To any body that hunted when there was only single tone machines,which is a " misnomer " so much info in that single tone.
I can`t explane it, but use that experience and put that sucker in 2 tone and Listen to the (beginning,middle and end of those tones) and dig some good iron...even in Full tones in heavy iron .
It`s so light i can feel the brighter vibration of a superior target in my hand...could also feel that in my old analog machines.
Make`s sense to me hope it comes across as so !
Gary

Last edited:

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate the eDud and son of eDud the CTX, yes I just wanted to say that out loud lol.

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotta agree with you. I went from an Etrac to a Deus in April and my 2017 total went from 2 indians on the year to 32, one surface gold find to 3 additional deep gold finds, 1 V nickel to six, and 5 flat buttons to 30. All in the same spots. Etrac is a GREAT silver shooter but Deus finds more of everything else and I'm still getting lots of silver coins, just not always when I expect them. The separation is incredible and that makes all the difference when you hit heavily hunted parks and dig deeper coins near iron or deeper coins near junk that the other machines just can't hear. LOVE this machine!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Damn newbies always mess it up huh!

I really love the low iron buzz. The first day I used it the thought that came to mind was... this feels like a lighting fast Nautilus 2B!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Etrac is a GREAT silver shooter but Deus finds more of everything else and I'm still getting lots of silver coins, just not always when I expect them.

That's something else that's so different... with my Explorer I always have a good idea what to expect, but with the Deus something like a large copper will have me thinking pretty good sound, but I'm far from confident it will be a coin, like I am with my Minelab. Not that it bothers me as pulling out masked targets the signals will often change on you anyway, but in general it is different being surprised by coins.

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not really a coin shooter any more, but being only 5 miles from Lake Huron, I hit the beaches once in a while. Took it and used their Dry Sand Beach program this morning. Some change and lots of foil/pull tabs. Little more confident in the target ID at the beach with the Etrac, but first time with this machine was alright, Love the weight factor. My AT Pro is my beach machine

Last edited:

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's something else that's so different... with my Explorer I always have a good idea what to expect, but with the Deus something like a large copper will have me thinking pretty good sound, but I'm far from confident it will be a coin, like I am with my Minelab. Not that it bothers me as pulling out masked targets the signals will often change on you anyway, but in general it is different being surprised by coins.

The Explorer has superior target ID to the Deus, but only to a given depth then the Explorer is no more accurate. A great place to learn the Explorer at its utter limits and blow your mind is on the beach because it takes mere seconds to dig a deep target with a beach scoop. Sometimes digging almost nothing signals so weak they won't even ID on the Explorer, which is similar to the Deus which gives up trying to ID targets beyond a certain depth.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread