New user Ground balance question

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was running the 90 factory . I then GB by pumping and I got an 81. I have been running 81 then . I thought maybe I should try tracking . So I went with tracking and five minutes latter I look at the remote to see my GB at 61. I have very mild soil , pretty much like fluffy top soil black dirt . So it seems my GB now is jumping between the 60s to mid 80s I guess .

I have only had the deus for a few weeks and that is my experience with tracking .

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My ground is mild i just leave it alone at 90,
Tried ground balance in a wheat stubble field ( at 81) but every stub the coil touched made the machine beep.
Works great for me in 90.
Gary

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My ground is mild i just leave it alone at 90,
Tried ground balance in a wheat stubble field ( at 81) but every stub the coil touched made the machine beep.
Works great for me in 90.
Gary

Thats what the vidios said ........ Gary's and Calabash digger. it is working fine here as well, I have not tried anything diff.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just went into my yard long way from the house.
Ground balance by pumping at... 84 swung it around for awhile just above the grass ran very quiet....tap it with my hand and it beeps.
Ground balance manual back to 90 runs quit, and does not beep when tapped...90 for me .

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus and GB:

Version 4 gb Tracking is much improved over Ver 3.2 GB tracking and I set it there and forget it for 90% of my hunts unless I am in an area with wild swings or highly mineralized, then I keep an eye on it and maybe just adjust manually on the fly. One of the drawbacks to GB tracking in ver 3.2 is that it would lock on to ferrous targets in the ground as you swept the coil and eventually those targets would disappear because the tracker upped the Ground Balance setting based on a perceived higher ground conductivity reading. The new tracking algorithm does not do this.

I think keeping it at 90 (manual) in mild soil is probably just fine, but be careful about making the decision based on it "running quiet there". It will run quiet if you bias GB high and as a result it is akin to lowering sensitivity therefore keeping GB greater than about 3 to 5 points ABOVE actual Ground Conductivity/Phase reading as indicated in the display COULD cause you to loose some depth.

People like to pump the coil to "semi-automatically" adjust the GB setting, but there is nothing wrong with just manually punching up the GB setting so it matches the reading. No real need to pump since the actual Ground reading is continuously being updated.

Some people actually like to make the machine run hot in an effort to boost depth by intentionally biasing GB to 3 points BELOW the actual ground conductivity/phase reading. The machine will of course get chattier but you might also hit on a faint deep target that way.

Andy Sabisch and I originally thought that XP would provide a tracking offset setting to accommodate "hot" biasing the GB setting continuously, and according to Andy, it was actually included in an early version of the V4 software but they decided to eventually scrap that feature later for whatever reason.

Another GB expert setting is ground notch which can be used to get rid of hot rocks by biasing out the signal (again a sort of filtering/discrimination) applied when ground reading is detected within the range of the "ground notch". Some folks recommend just notching out the entire range because it tends to quiet the machine down from a ground feedback noise perspective, the problem is that other folks have shown that doing so will (not surprisingly) affect depth in SOME cases. YMMV.

HTH

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deus and GB:

Version 4 gb Tracking is much improved over Ver 3.2 GB tracking and I set it there and forget it for 90% of my hunts unless I am in an area with wild swings or highly mineralized, then I keep an eye on it and maybe just adjust manually on the fly. One of the drawbacks to GB tracking in ver 3.2 is that it would lock on to ferrous targets in the ground as you swept the coil and eventually those targets would disappear because the tracker upped the Ground Balance setting based on a perceived higher ground conductivity reading. The new tracking algorithm does not do this.

I think keeping it at 90 (manual) in mild soil is probably just fine, but be careful about making the decision based on it "running quiet there". It will run quiet if you bias GB high and as a result it is akin to lowering sensitivity therefore keeping GB greater than about 3 to 5 points ABOVE actual Ground Conductivity/Phase reading as indicated in the display COULD cause you to loose some depth.

People like to pump the coil to "semi-automatically" adjust the GB setting, but there is nothing wrong with just manually punching up the GB setting so it matches the reading. No real need to pump since the actual Ground reading is continuously being updated.

Some people actually like to make the machine run hot in an effort to boost depth by intentionally biasing GB to 3 points BELOW the actual ground conductivity/phase reading. The machine will of course get chattier but you might also hit on a faint deep target that way.

Andy Sabisch and I originally thought that XP would provide a tracking offset setting to accommodate "hot" biasing the GB setting continuously, and according to Andy, it was actually included in an early version of the V4 software but they decided to eventually scrap that feature later for whatever reason.

Another GB expert setting is ground notch which can be used to get rid of hot rocks by biasing out the signal (again a sort of filtering/discrimination) applied when ground reading is detected within the range of the "ground notch". Some folks recommend just notching out the entire range because it tends to quiet the machine down from a ground feedback noise perspective, the problem is that other folks have shown that doing so will (not surprisingly) affect depth in SOME cases. YMMV.

HTH

Thank you Sir; After posting I referd back to Andy's book and did see the drawbacks, such as tracking iron and stuff. 90 has worked fine at the sites I have been to so far.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, v4 much improved on tracking, I love it. If you keep it on manual just try to avoid to overbiasing the setting by more than 3 to 5 points or you'll lose depth.

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, v4 much improved on tracking, I love it. If you keep it on manual just try to avoid to overbiasing the setting by more than 3 to 5 points or you'll lose depth.

Mine came with v4 so I know nothing about previous editions.......starting with a clean slate and an open mind. I will try tracking though, thanks

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
mine came with 3.2 but never use it,switch it to 4.0 just to see if i could .
I will try tracking too.... as vferrari suggestions work out good !
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions