Ground Balance Trackig

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what can a person hear audio wise when using Deus in the field?

First let's talk about colocated nonferrous.
These can be troublesome.
Say a pull tab and a dime or penny near one another.
Can the Deus tell the op the dime is there?
It depends on proximity and orientation of both targets.
The coil size will dictate too how close they can be to each other and allow op to here the dime.
If distance here get too close Deus will like most other detectors provide an average tid.
On top of the ground testing will show this.
Remember though if the say older coin is deeper than the tab, this can REALLY aggravate the Deus capability to detect dime only with appropriate assigned tone.
One thing an op can do is to run high notch, this CAN depending force the Deus to tone only on the dime with the notch setting telling user likely a higher conductor is under their coil.
You see the Deus will at times blend tone while over 2 different conductive nonferrous targets.
A trained ear can hear.,but this can be difficult some times even for a seasoned user of Deus.
Again on top of the ground testing will reveal this with Deus, new users should test and be aware of.
Now I am not recommending this using high notch for a routine hunt option settings wise, but it CAN be useful in some
instances.
Users of Deus should keep in mind, the way the Deus works targets normally rejected by using notch as targets deepen depending on ground mineral levels these once thought to be rejected targets will start to come through tonally,,as long as the 90s region ID wise is not rejected.

Let's talk about challenged target.
Deus users should be able to recognize a challenged target.
What are some things to listen for/watch for?

This is where iron volume when on or using full tones with low disc can help.
Users will hear the iron tone coming rolling in and be mixed in with nonferrous tone.
Users may notice only a 2 way signal vs a 4 way signal.
Users may notice a required slowing of coil sweep to hear target.
Users may notice a higher Reactivty setting to hear target.
Users may notice a higher freq setting required to hear target.

All of the above really do come into play when you are hunting previous hard hunted sites hunted by yourself or others.

Let's talk about Deus and iron.
Deus is killer in iron.
A better killer than even a new user of Deus will be thinking generally only after a few hunts.
This is not to say a new user won't make some nice finds or finds in previous hard hunted sites.
I am just saying here there is another gear to Deus, when hunting in iron.
These nonferrous targets will be the super challenged and the clues Deus gives not so obvious to new user of detector.

So what are some things to do and listen for.

New users hunting in iron pits best advice starting out, dial GB to 86 and leave it there. Now with more experience with detector a lower go setting can be used depending on your ground.

Folks need to remember a site with iron using Deus with all coils CANNOT generally find all detectable nonferrous in a site with ONE set of settings, especially reactivity setting.

Now saying this, rehunting using different settings may or may not yield higher numbers of nonferrous finds.
But should yield some.

Coil sweep speed needs to be controlled, not too fast, hard to go too slow. Deus can hunt using Minelab crawl for those with fbs/fbs2 detector experience.
Hunting in sites loaded with iron, IMO best advice listen for the melody of the music (tones) the Deus provides.
What sounds out of place.

It would be fair to say, most sites with lots of iron have more ferrous objects/material in them than nonferrous objects.

So a persons will hear the music produced by the ferrous.
A Deus user is listing for an interruption in the melody.
These interruptions will generally be repeatable with more coil sweeps IF a user can find a spot yielding one of the interruptions.
Now here I am not talking about what I call more the textbook sounding target giving more or less the assigned tone when sweeping.
A user may hear a tiny small interruption with a subtle ramp of and holding for extremely short time and a let down.
A user may hear an interruption where the tone is just a tiny bit above iron tone(no grunt) and has a small plateau to it.

I should point out here using pinpoint function can give some misleading data to users especially with the LF coils and even the round HF coil.
The smaller HF elliptical coil though, IMO using pinpoint with it seems based on my approx 200 hours thus far does seem to yield better useable data when hunting in iron to make a dig/no dog decision.

Users hunting in areas with loads of iron, be conscious of your coil height above ground when sweeping.
If grass or whatever precludes getting coil close to ground, Deus users should consider running lower Reactivty setting and SLOW coil sweep.

Silencer setting- this can allow Deus to signal on a nonferrous target or even to stretch out a tone on a target, even a very challenged target.
I always run -1 silencer.
I recommend folks to run a -1 or 0 setting as the least to hunt sites with loads of iron.
I should mention here, the HF coils seems to be a tad more sparky that the LF coils. So running a level higher than what a person generally would using LF coil not a bad idea,,,especially folks new to the Deus HF coils.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So would setting the Disc to -6.4 (v4) and using a high notch also make the Deus focus on the non ferrous high conductor in your dime in trash example above. Introducing Disc seems to make the GB either more sensitive or unstable?

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So would setting the Disc to -6.4 (v4) and using a high notch also make the Deus focus on the non ferrous high conductor in your dime in trash example above. Introducing Disc seems to make the GB either more sensitive or unstable?

Using version 4 and 9" LF coil I run disc generally at -2.5.
Using version 4 and 11" LF coil I round disc generally at -2.0.

Using elliptical HF coil I generally run disc at-1.
The same disc setting with round HF coil.

I haven't experienced any differences as far as stability when changing disc setting.

Now running low disc like -6.4 a persons will hear more than ferrous material like nails. And a person might think their detector is unstable, because it is sounding off more.
This is exactly how the -6.4 disc is supposed to work.

Watch this video.
Notice how detector sounds when gent is sweeping with -6.4 disc.
And what happens as he raises disc.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3HAQ8JjYrNs

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mineralization levels are what they are. The GB visual ID is the problem when increasing Disc. Especially when I go above 6 Disc. I was just wondering if the unmasking abilities of the Deus are activated by Disc and Notching or just by Notching (no Disc)? I usually run manual GB at 88. Maybe setting at 86 would be better when introducing some Disc?

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, Gary mentions in the video that he is running a 2 Tone (Ultimate) program with -6.4 Disc and a time break at 10, but it would have to be at least a 3 Tone program to have -6.4 Disc and a Tone break at 10. I’m a big fan of the multi Tone programs.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mineralization levels are what they are. The GB visual ID is the problem when increasing Disc. Especially when I go above 6 Disc. I was just wondering if the unmasking abilities of the Deus are activated by Disc and Notching or just by Notching (no Disc)? I usually run manual GB at 88. Maybe setting at 86 would be better when introducing some Disc?

To say that Deus unmasking is activated, may not be the best way to describe.

Better to say here, Deus unmasking can be increased potentially with lower disc.
For example there will be some challenged targets where disc 6, the targets will not be able to be located.
Where a disc of 2 they would/could be.

Notch
Notch can force Deus to identify some higher conductors tonally colocated with lower conductors by forcing the Deus unit to shut off the tone of the lower conductor.

Notch as far as unmasking in nails/ferrous does nothing to optimize Deus,,IMO it can only hurt if used.

Now, here is something interesting and I have commented on this on other forums.

An example.
Take a real old site with a whole lot of iron.

Question here
Can a Deus user use LF coils (all sizes) and run Deus using full tones only and 0 disc and find all nonferrous Deus is capable of finding using only the LF coils?

The answer is no.

Another question here.
Can Deus user hunt the same site above using multitone and Disc level 6 and find all nonferrous targets Deus is capable of finding using all LF coils?

The answer here is no.

Basically to find all the targets Deus has potential to find using all the LF coils a person actually has to hunt multiple times using different disc levels.
This may sound corny here for folks, but is the truth.
This is based off of me hunting the same site for over 4 years and doing head to head on many mutilpe nonferrous suspect targets using varied disc settings, etc, and YES these targets when dug were nonferrous and verified with magnet.

Actually if a person say only has a 9" LF coil with their Deus unit.
And they want to hunt an old site and dig all nonferrous out of the site.

My recommendations are the following.

Hunt site using multitone using disc level 6.0.
Hunt site using full tones using disc level 2.0
Hunt site using full tones using disc level -2.5.
I would be using freq 18khz running version 4.

To add to this, repeated hunts using the above would again have to be accomplished with Reactivty being run at 2, 2.5, 3, and 4.

So just be looking at the above a persons has to hunt a site multiple times even using one sized LF coil.

If we switch coils to the 11" coil, beleive it or not all the above would have to be repeated.

Now I haven't talked about HF coils here.
For very good reason.
I only have approx 200 hours run time with HF coils for Deus.
And yes I have been in the very same site referenced above using, but I don't have enough data to go wayyyyy out on a limb to share info with folks here yet.
I will hopefully with time.

Last edited:

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TN interesting. Similar to my experience with the Se Pro, luck observation really. I wasn't able to jump right into all metal hunting with the Se Pro the iron tones were overwhelming. So I hunted for a while in all metal, then hunted for a while with iron discriminated out. When hunting with the iron discriminated out I would switch to all metal when I found a target to assess/pinpoint. Most times the target signal improved when I switched to all metal, but sometimes the signal actually got worse in all metal or even vanished, the detector latching onto the iron solid and no target signal. Ditto for other trash targets, so damned if you do damned if you don't, all metal will get most targets but you would have to hunt again discriminating iron and/or common trash targets to get the rest.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the easier ways to hunt in iron pits using Deus.
Go full tones, 18khz, disc level 2.0 for 9" LF coil.
Doing this Deus will not signal on every little small iron, quieter running tone wise, allows a person to give their attention easier to the full hits tone wise and investigate.
Some very good performance here too as long as a persons has a proper Reactivty and silencer settings chosen.

Also good method to use towards the end of a longer hunt where a user can/has been beat to death with all the tones all day long.
Relaxing way to hunt actually.

Our attention spans are only so good for so long.
Good detectorist realize this and adjust accordingly.

Just like reading and studying.
Know your limitations.

Old Dirty Harry said as much too. Lol

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TN I'm still pretty fuzzy on what the heck the silencer is/does. Its joined at the hip with reactivity, I get that setting, but silencer???

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TN I'm still pretty fuzzy on what the heck the silencer is/does. Its joined at the hip with reactivity, I get that setting, but silencer???

Silencer was put in mainly to break up the bottlecaps and make them sound choppy instead of producing the nice high tone and target ID (because they are both round and about the size of a quarter) that they normally produce which fools users who cannot yet tell the subtle difference in tonality between them and a real coin. The real coin tone has more "body" to it with a nice solid ping while the bottlecap/crowncap tone sounds more "hollow" even though they both will ring up a nice high target ID. The silencer tends to distort or break up the bottlecap tone to make it more discernable from a coin target especially if there is any corrosion on the cap. There is some concern that a high silencer setting (i.e., 1 to 4) may reduce detection depth for high conductors, but some testing by Calabash somewhat refutes that or at least shows the impact to detection depth is less than originally thought. Regardless, it is not clear why XP tied the setting to reactivity AND made it change automatically with changes to the reactivity setting. Weird but that is what they did. I have noticed that using silencer in conjunction with one of the HF coils and running frequency at 26.6 khz or higher really makes bottlecaps sound crappy and makes their target ID number bounce around so I am seldom fooled at the beach (where I mainly encounter them) anymore. Beyond crowncaps, silencer may help on other small round iron targets that tend to ring up with high tones and correspondingly high target IDs that fool detectorists. At least that is my take on the subject.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vferrari what headphones are you using? My ears are pretty tuned to tone variations, shape, things like you are describing but I'm not really hearing that in the Deteknix headphones.

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That bottle cap trick from another thread where you look for a spike in mineralization works extremely well. Especially in full tones I have found the crappy sounding targets to be good at times. At least enough to to make the effort to dig them. With the mineralization spike each one has actually been a bottle cap. I wish there was a similar trick for stinking aluminum! Also what Deteknix headphones work with the Deus?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vferrari what headphones are you using? My ears are pretty tuned to tone variations, shape, things like you are describing but I'm not really hearing that in the Deteknix headphones.

I have the deteknix phones (offically called: Deteknix HD XP Deus Wireless Pro Headphones) but haven't used them since the spring time (too hot) so I have been using the WS4's. I really noticed it at a seeded hunt where there were coins and bottlecaps recently using HF, I could tell the difference between the two even though they were both ringing up high TID #'s the tone intensity was less with the bottlecaps (they were not corroded as they were painted and being used as tokens) vs. the coins. Since the bottlecaps were not corroded there was no real distortion. I was NOT using silencer so this is a pure bottlecap vs. coin tone quality comparison.

Last edited:

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silencer is filter setting.

So higher setting detector is more sensitive( better able to discern bottlecaps for example.
But higher silencer setting has drawbacks.
Depth in higher mineralized ground.

Calabash's ground is super mild, not a good model to show silencer affects.

Now, in my ground 4-5 ticks in mineral index meter,,,a deep coin, silencer can knock out target of high enough.
Or at the very least will cause target to sound not so good, can fool a persons or make harder for target to be located when sweeping coil.
Can affect tone length provided on target.

Even though I don't think the operator's manual states, -1 setting is by most folks opinion filter turned off so to speak.

Most higher experienced Deus users will generally run silencer at -1 or 0 setting.

As far as they why behind XP tying the silencer to Reactivty setting.
I don't know the real true reason.

Might be for more turn and go for beginners of unit for all I know.

Now the elliptical HF coil, it can be more sparky on iron generally than the LF coils with equivalent silencer setting. Therefore a user just might be able to run say a 0 setting here, and some of the iron and nails will not fool users so much.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silencer is filter setting.

So higher setting detector is more sensitive( better able to discern bottlecaps for example.
But higher silencer setting has drawbacks.
Depth in higher mineralized ground.

Calabash's ground is super mild, not a good model to show silencer affects.

Now, in my ground 4-5 ticks in mineral index meter,,,a deep coin, silencer can knock out target of high enough.
Or at the very least will cause target to sound not so good, can fool a persons or make harder for target to be located when sweeping coil.
Can affect tone length provided on target.

Even though I don't think the operator's manual states, -1 setting is by most folks opinion filter turned off so to speak.

Most higher experienced Deus users will generally run silencer at -1 or 0 setting.

As far as they why behind XP tying the silencer to Reactivty setting.
I don't know the real true reason.

Might be for more turn and go for beginners of unit for all I know.

Now the elliptical HF coil, it can be more sparky on iron generally than the LF coils with equivalent silencer setting. Therefore a user just might be able to run say a 0 setting here, and some of the iron and nails will not fool users so much.

No documentation that I can find that mineralization affects the depth at which a non-ferrous target can be detected based on silencèr setting, but any applied filter can affect depth so... I will have to check that out in Culpeper VA (hottest soil I have ever detected in) next week. Also giving HF coil and gold field program a go there where most folks have given up on using vlf detectors and instead use gold prospecting PI detectors such as Garrett ATX and Minelab GPX models - will report back on results. Will also ask Andy about silencer at the next Deus Bootcamp in a couple weeks and also whether it is absolutely necessary to pump vs. swing the coil to get a usable ground mineralization bargraph reading.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a link talking about silencer.
I commented in this thread.
Others did too.
One thing the other folks didn't really comment on their mineralization levels.
Silencer Setting On Deus? - XP Metal Detectors - DetectorProspector.com

Here's a video showing silencer being adjusted and a target being detected.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kjuANf3J3yg

Anyone who has Mr Sabicsh's Deus Handbook see page 34.
The documentation for silencer's setting affect on depth is right there.

Btw I discovered this through testing before I bought Andy's book.

Btw separation and unmasking too ideally affected with silencer setting.
Less filtering means more speed with signal handling.

Last edited:

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That video is awesome TN, I liked that alternative method of ground balancing. Silencer clearly was reducing depth.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We originally were going by Andy's advice on the silencer but his book words seemed to be refuted by Calabash actual depth tests and my experiences with it this summer at beach albeit neither were mineralized conditions. That was all documented in threads earlier this summer. Still nothing on how mineralization affects silencer impact on depth.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deus/552170-silencer-test-video.html

I will post other links when I get back to my computer.

Also, be careful about posting links to other forums as that directly violates TNET's terms of service.

Last edited:

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We originally were going by Andy's advice on the silencer but his book words seemed to be refuted by Calabash actual depth tests and my experiences with it this summer at beach albeit neither were mineralized conditions. That was all documented in threads earlier this summer. Still nothing on how mineralization affects silencer impact on depth.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deus/552170-silencer-test-video.html

I will post other links when I get back to my computer.

Also, be careful about posting links to other forums as that directly violates TNET's terms of service.

I will answer this question once and for all on my next hunt. My local soil is nasty, magnetic volcanic black sand its worse than the VA red clay. I'll locate some deep signals with the silencer turned off -1 then sample the target at higher silencer settings and we'll see what happens. TN posted a link to a video of a guy running this test on a coin he buried, as the silencer was turned up the coin began to break up then vanished. But I'll run some tests on native targets long buried in the soil and we'll see.

Low mineralization changes everything, your settings, your understanding of your machine really go out the window. There is an old park in NJ that was recommended to me due to its low mineralization. Ed and I stopped there on our way back from a VA CW hunt and holy crap it was like the ground did not exist. I was able to run my machine at its maximum sensitivity and it was rock solid stable, no false signals, nothing but smooth steady threshold it was freakish. Cue the Twilight Zone music. So a higher silencer setting, if there's little to nothing in the soil for it to silence, may be the equivalent of turning the silencer off.

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That bottle cap trick from another thread where you look for a spike in mineralization works extremely well. Especially in full tones I have found the crappy sounding targets to be good at times. At least enough to to make the effort to dig them. With the mineralization spike each one has actually been a bottle cap. I wish there was a similar trick for stinking aluminum! Also what Deteknix headphones work with the Deus?

I have found the same mineralization spike around corroded targets, like bottle caps.

Keeping an eye on the mineralization bar and what it is doing as one sweeps a target is very indicative of a target in a spectrum state of corrosion.

Now add to the mineralization bar the tonal distinctions-characteristics that TN and vferrari mention will allow corroded targets to be more easily distinguished. Much less digging of high VDI number targets that wind up to be corroded bottle caps, etc.

I should add that I only use Full Tones.

Great thread guys!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread