Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No news here, but I hear things last. Welcome aboard.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At this point can't tell if its a fake or what but basically it's a coil and shaft married to a smartphone. The next logical step after Deus that I always presumed was coming. But I am now definitely convinced I do not want a wireless anything if I am going to use it in the water. That is why I am leaning towards the Equinox as my next water machine.

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At this point can't tell if its a fake or what but basically it's a coil and shaft married to a smartphone. The next logical step after Deus that I always presumed was coming. But I am now definitely convinced I do not want a wireless anything if I am going to use it in the water. That is why I am leaning towards the Equinox as my next water machine.

is the Equinox totally waterproof?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes to 3 meters

OP
OP
I

IN DA HOLE

Banned
Sep 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read the Q-Mond is also waterproof to 3 meters. Waterproof is a fallacy anyways with high tech machines, chances are they all leak eventually. The integration of a cell phone would give an amazing hi rez colour screen and built in GPS and the possibility of 3rd party app add-on compatibilities. That would blow the socks off anything out there for years to come.

It would be a very smart move by XP to wipe out the competition and might just lower the price not having to add a remote. We can only dream. I would be cancelling that Equinox order LOL

Last edited:

Bob in Oregon

Aug 31, 2017
N.W. Oregon
Detector(s) used
GPX, SD2200d
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it’s real and not fake as some have pointed out, the cell/smart phone integration is interesting.... provided a smart phones battery life would be able to last as long as the current Deus remote. Based on my own experience, I’m not aware of any that exist, particularly if being used outdoors in cooler climates. I also have to question how many detectorists would be willing to make the switch out of their current iPhones for an Android platform much less consider the purchase of an additional Android phone to use exclusively for a detector. What about the possibility of having to add on to current plans or outright purchase monthly smart phone data plans to use the phone/app with the detector ? Personally speaking as a Mac/Apple user I was a little dismayed when I discovered after purchase that updates could only be performed on a Windows based PC..... my mistake ... fortunately my local dealer informed me that they would be happy to perform updates whenever they become available. That said, it still doesn’t affect my overall after purchase satisfaction with the current Deus platform.
Just my humble opinion.....

Best,
Bob

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uh my cell phone is not WP to 3m so I call BS on this thing. Lots of promises too difficult too keep along with unnecessary bells and whistles.

I think we all lived through the delays and botched v4 rollout earlier this year and XP has been talking about 2 box since 2012 at least. Oh and has anyone gotten the XP companion app to work yet...uh no. Hell, 4.1 Beta has now been around for what 2 months? Can't wait to try this out when it is ready for prime time...in 2020.

Look XP is a great, innovative company and the Deus is and will be my primary detector for the foreseeable future even after the Equinox is released.

But I am really over smartphone integration. Sounds great in concept, never pans out in reality. You get a device that does everything at best in a mediocre fashion. I have done a 180 and prefer high tech but self contained within the unit, with functionality purpose built for the platform executing the function, with minimal external integration except where it absolutely makes sense for it to be done that way, with no compromises. Trying to make this work with a smartphone platform is just going to build up a lot of anticipation and ultimate disappointment.

Look at where Minelab is headed. They stripped out all the useless gack from the 3030, boiled the functionality needed and desired by the experienced detectorist into a lightweight platform and made it attractively priced. Thst's where this industry needs to go not to cell phones and other useless gack thst really does not make the detecting experience any better.

Hey XP fix the problems right in front of us, continue to listen to your users and incrementally improve the extensible platform you already have built (e.g., overhaul the remote controller design and functionality and offer it at a deep discount to existing users who are willing to trade in their existing controllers for it) and you will continue to have a winner.

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey XP fix the problems right in front of us, continue to listen to your users and incrementally improve the extensible platform you already have built (e.g., overhaul the remote controller design and functionality and offer it at a deep discount to existing users who are willing to trade in their existing controllers for it) and you will continue to have a winner.

This is a great idea! I would NEVER look at another Garrett product again! LOL :laughing7:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In Da Hole
I want to read about Q Mond too, where can i find the article ?
Never mind i googled it all kinds of stuff out there true or not .
Q Mond, Nokta Impact 2, Marko Racer 3, Nokta Storm , Fisher `s new Smart Machine. The Black Pearl,by Pirate
Who knows ???
Gary

Last edited:

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was using my Bluetooth, GPS and had my display lit up on my smartphone, my detecting time would be very limited. Maybe the latest phones would do better but I bet I would be lucky to get a hour or two at most.

OP
OP
I

IN DA HOLE

Banned
Sep 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also a die hard Mac user since they started in the 80's. The fact is if Mac is not supported a cheap Galaxy for a $100 is not a problem and gives many times more processing power than any detector control box out there. The beauty of modern cell phones are, they are equipped to handle on the fly add ons easily with usb and bluetooth, like an external battery that could easily give 100's of hours of high power demand use that any detector out there can't hold a candle to. As for data plans within another year or so many will be unlimited for you lucky Americans, up here its another story unfortunately.

Anyhoo, it is all in the air right now and we need to wait and see. I hope the new Equinox will meet the dreams of its followers, but from initial hands on reviews, its not a Deus by any means, so not to worry.

Last edited:

Bob in Oregon

Aug 31, 2017
N.W. Oregon
Detector(s) used
GPX, SD2200d
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look XP is a great, innovative company and the Deus is and will be my primary detector for the foreseeable future even after the Equinox is released.

But I am really over smartphone integration. Sounds great in concept, never pans out in reality. You get a device that does everything at best in a mediocre fashion. I have done a 180 and prefer high tech but self contained within the unit, with functionality purpose built for the platform executing the function, with minimal external integration except where it absolutely makes sense for it to be done that way, with no compromises. Trying to make this work with a smartphone platform is just going to build up a lot of anticipation and ultimate disappointment.

Very well said, and an excellent example of a business model supporting the end user
JMHO

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also a die hard Mac user since they started in the 80's. The fact is if Mac is not supported a cheap Galaxy for a $100 is not a problem and gives many times more processing power than any detector control box out there. The beauty of modern cell phones are, they are equipped to handle on the fly add ons easily with usb and bluetooth, like an external battery that could easily give 100's of hours of high power demand use that any detector out there can't hold a candle to. As for data plans within another year or so many will be unlimited for you lucky Americans, up here its another story unfortunately.

Anyhoo, it is all in the air right now and we need to wait and see. I hope the new Equinox will meet the dreams of its followers, but from initial hands on reviews, its not a Deus by any means, so not to worry.

I have to respectfully disagree with you re smartphone integration. As I said previously, smartphone integration (as a dedicated, continuous controller of anything) sounds and looks great on paper but rarely does it pan out in reality. I have used my smart phone to control my telescope, to control my lights, to control cameras in my house, to control my cable box, control a drone with FPOV, and to control my vid cam). For intermittent control applications such as TV remote control, security cam monitoring, etc., works great. However, in any application where you need CONTINUOUS, UNINTERRUPTED, control of a device (read, metal detector, video camera, telescope, drone), the phone or tablet can do it but ultimately fails miserably at the task in the long run. Primarily, because compromises need to be made in order for it to be used with a wide variety of hardware platforms even if the base software platform is common (e.g., android). Also, for those things where you need continuous control, using a multipurpose device as your platform is just asking for trouble. This became painfully evident when my drone flew off to la la land when I received a phone call (not answered) from home and when I lost the ability to control my telescope (at least until the telescope company came up with a new version of the telescope control app) due to a phone company mandatory security software upgrade. For metal detecting, I am now convinced that use of a dedicated, purpose built box (be it wired, wireless, or both) that is software upgradeable with the the features you need/want is definitely the way to go with some optional phone integration to provide enhanced functionality like site coverage tracking, finds cataloging, dig session video documentation, detector firmware update interface, and online manuals, documentation and info. But I always want to be able to revert back to the dedicated box if necessary and still be able to detect with the basic needed features to do so.

Last edited:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This seems to be the source of the rumors, for what its worth (maybe not much).

XP Q-Mond ?
and New XP Q-Mond machine? Novelty 2018 (look at that!) | MD-Hunter Blog

novyj-metalloiskatel-xp-novinka-2018-posmotrite-001.jpg

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to respectfully disagree with you re smartphone integration. As I said previously, smartphone integration (as a dedicated, continuous controller of anything) sounds and looks great on paper but rarely does it pan out in reality. I have used my smart phone to control my telescope, to control my lights, to control cameras in my house, to control my cable box, control a drone with FPOV, and to control my vid cam). For intermittent control applications such as TV remote control, security cam monitoring, etc., works great. However, in any application where you need CONTINUOUS, UNINTERRUPTED, control of a device (read, metal detector, video camera, telescope, drone), the phone or tablet can do it but ultimately fails miserably at the task in the long run. Primarily, because compromises need to be made in order for it to be used with a wide variety of hardware platforms even if the base software platform is common (e.g., android). Also, for those things where you need continuous control, using a multipurpose device as your platform is just asking for trouble. This became painfully evident when my drone flew off to la la land when I received a phone call (not answered) from home and when I lost the ability to control my telescope (at least until the telescope company came up with a new version of the telescope control app) due to a phone company mandatory security software upgrade. For metal detecting, I am now convinced that use of a dedicated, purpose built box (be it wired, wireless, or both) that is software upgradeable with the the features you need/want is definitely the way to go with some optional phone integration to provide enhanced functionality like site coverage tracking, finds cataloging, dig session video documentation, detector firmware update interface, and online manuals, documentation and info. But I always want to be able to revert back to the dedicated box if necessary and still be able to detect with the basic needed features to do so.

In short... the Swiss Army knife has always had a lousy pair of scissors. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread