Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just called Vance to ask about them, and was told that they don't make them anymore. In addition, whoever answered the phone (Vance?) didn't announce a company name when picking up the phone. I thought that was wierd... just a "Hello?", followed by "We don't make them anymore."

The number I called was 1 502 262 0356, in case that is wrong, but that's what is listed on the web site. And they still list the headphones on their website: VANCE METAL DETECTOR SALES / METAL DETECTING SALES AND SERVICE / 40272

Does anybody know what gives?

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what gives with them not making them anymore, but I had a set of Vance head phones and sold them. Way too tight.

IMHO..... Deteknix HD Headphones for XP Deus WS4 Pod are the most comfortable. Better then WS5 and the Gray ghosts. On the WS5 my ear pads always fall off unless you are super careful taking them off and the Gray ghost were very muddy sounding.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just called Vance to ask about them, and was told that they don't make them anymore. In addition, whoever answered the phone (Vance?) didn't announce a company name when picking up the phone. I thought that was wierd... just a "Hello?", followed by "We don't make them anymore."

The number I called was 1 502 262 0356, in case that is wrong, but that's what is listed on the web site. And they still list the headphones on their website: VANCE METAL DETECTOR SALES / METAL DETECTING SALES AND SERVICE / 40272

Does anybody know what gives?

Vance is just a guy who drops ships detector stuff and I guess came up with a contract to mass produce to his spec (for awhile, I guess) his Vance Phones. So he may be done with the business. In any event, if you are set on getting a pair of Vance Muffs, I have a set collecting dust as a backup set to my Deteknix phones. PM me if interested.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vance is just a guy who drops ships detector stuff and I guess came up with a contract to mass produce to his spec (for awhile, I guess) his Vance Phones. So he may be done with the business. In any event, if you are set on getting a pair of Vance Muffs, I have a set collecting dust as a backup set to my Deteknix phones. PM me if interested.

Looking at old posts, it would seem that Vance headphones were THE headphone to use with the Deus. Do you prefer the Deteknix? I have seen elsewhere also that the comfort thing was an issue with Vance phones.

I currently have a pair of WS5's that need to go back for a battery change, and a pair of WS4s that I don't feel confidant with as a backup. I would like to be able to use the puck on another pair of phones that are closer to the WS5, which is why I was considering Vance.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at old posts, it would seem that Vance headphones were THE headphone to use with the Deus. Do you prefer the Deteknix? I have seen elsewhere also that the comfort thing was an issue with Vance phones.

I currently have a pair of WS5's that need to go back for a battery change, and a pair of WS4s that I don't feel confidant with as a backup. I would like to be able to use the puck on another pair of phones that are closer to the WS5, which is why I was considering Vance.
If you thought Ws5 headphones sound good, you should try the Vance.

The other brand mentioned, I am hearing very good reports on them for sound.

Vance headphones can be tight fit.I sprung mine a bit.

I wouldn't give 2 cents for a set of Ws5s.
I actually gave a set of grey ghost Deus compatible with the puck away.
They are almost as bad as Ws5s for sound.

Iron work, you need higher tones reported.
At least I.do.

Good luck.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes. I recommend the Deteknix over the Vance for several reasons: $50 less expensive. Sound as good as or better than the Vance muffs, comfortable fit, Professional look with the WS4 puck interface recessed so the puck doesn't look like it's glued onto the outside of earcup (i.e., less dorky looking than the Vance) and finally, it has a wired plug jack and cord so in an emergency (i.e., WS4 battery dies during a hunt) you can plug the phones directly into the controller. HTH.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like I'll be going with the Detectnix. Besides what you guys say, other reviews seem to agree. I would make an offer on your Vance phones, vferrari, but I must admit that I'm concerned about all the complains regarding comfort. Other than that... I don't care how I look. I can't see myself when I'm out detecting anyway.

I found this review to be very helpful, although it would be GREAT if you could click on links to hear those sounds and do direct A/B comparisons: XP Deus Headphone Shootout - Metal Detecting Gear Still... what a great concept!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah looks like I sabotaged my own sale. Lol. [I think that tells you something about my credibility on the subject]. Good luck.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah looks like I sabotaged my own sale. Lol. [I think that tells you something about my credibility on the subject]. Good luck.

Naww... I've heard about the comfort issue all over the place. There's even a YouTube video of a guy that says he came up with a fix for it.

I'm sure a huge part of this is really what you've become accustomed to. I started with the WS5's, and to me, the WS4s sound cheap and tinny in comparison. But others swear by them and have no problem with their sound, yet swear that the WS5 tones suck. (Of course, there is a certain amount to be said about tonal blind spots, or frequency reproduction that is not as subjective.)

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vance is a great guy and a disabled vet, I purchased all my Deus gear from him. He talked me out of the WS5 and into the WS4 because the puck is transferable to other headphones which gives you more options. I purchased the Detectnix headphones for my Deus vs modifying a pair of my Sunray Gold phones. I rate Sunray Gold headphones a 10, they are my standard which by all other headphones are judged. The Detectnix are about a 7 in comparison, pretty decent.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vance is a great guy and a disabled vet, I purchased all my Deus gear from him. He talked me out of the WS5 and into the WS4 because the puck is transferable to other headphones which gives you more options. I purchased the Detectnix headphones for my Deus vs modifying a pair of my Sunray Gold phones. I rate Sunray Gold headphones a 10, they are my standard which by all other headphones are judged. The Detectnix are about a 7 in comparison, pretty decent.

Charles - thanks, I meant no disrespect to Vance - just responding that he was a one man show vs. a "company" as Iron Buzz was not sure. Before the Deteknix came along a couple of years later, I thought his phones which I purchased new from him including a detector were the best game in town other than a home brew set. The Grey Ghosts were a BIG disappointment. But yeah, the V-Muffs squeezed the noggin a little too tight, but that may explain some of my posts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread