WS5 vs Deteknix headphones

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have hearing aids and am using the WS5's so I don't know how good or bad they are so I'm asking all of you that have used both the WS5's and the new Deteknix headphones which ones sound the best. I'm sure that I do miss targets that I have trouble hearing so I wonder if the Deteknix would be any better or not. I have the WS4's and don't use them unless I need them for a back up.
thanks for the input

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In a few days, I should be able to give you my initial opinion. I have the WS5s and have a set of Deteknix on order. Stay tuned.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They arrived today, but too late for me to try them out... they were waiting for me when I got home from detecting. So... no opinion yet.

However... (anybody, chime in if you can help) I am only getting mono sound... from the side with the puck. Any thoughts, anybody?

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see Iron Buzz posted a follow up and thought oh great a headphone comparison...open the post and its a Iron Buzz cliff hanger thanks man /sarcasm LOL

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see Iron Buzz posted a follow up and thought oh great a headphone comparison...open the post and its a Iron Buzz cliff hanger thanks man /sarcasm LOL

OK, I had a chance to head out and give them a shot and my opinion is

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They arrived today, but too late for me to try them out... they were waiting for me when I got home from detecting. So... no opinion yet.

However... (anybody, chime in if you can help) I am only getting mono sound... from the side with the puck. Any thoughts, anybody?

Make sure the puck is fully slid onto the slot is my only guess unless they are defective.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the Deus or Deus puck have a prospecting feature where only one side sounds off so you can hear the rattle snakes in the other ear? Wild guess but I'd check settings.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Never owned the WS5's. I'm really happy with the deteknix headphones.
Been wearing my WS4s lately due to the fact that full headphones can get very hot down here in the deep south.
Looking forward to the cooler weather that should be coming soon. And I will be using the deteknix when that cool weather makes it here.
The versatility alone is one great reason to go with the WS4 puck and the deteknix.
Oh, and if you want to use the Vances, then I hope you have a tiny head, cuz boy are they uncomfortable.
The detknix are some of the most comfortable full headphones that I have ever owned.
I guess that doesn't really answer your question, but I will say the Deteknix phones are nice phones.

Last edited:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never owned the WS5's. I'm really happy with the deteknix headphones.
Been wearing my WS4s lately due to the fact that full headphones can get very hot down here in the deep south.
Looking forward to the cooler weather that should be coming soon. And I will be using the deteknix when that cool weather makes it here.
The versatility alone is one great reason to go with the WS4 puck and the deteknix.
Oh, and if you want to use the Vances, then I hope you have a tiny head, cuz boy are they uncomfortable.
The detknix are some of the most comfortable full headphones that I have ever owned.
I guess that doesn't really answer your question, but I will say the Deteknix phones are nice phones.

My detecting pal uses Vances. I didn't realize that until yesterday when we got to talking about headphones. I tried his on for fit, and they weren't bad for the short time that I had them on, but apparently that is usually the case. Gotta wear them a bit for them to get uncomfortable.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My detecting pal uses Vances. I didn't realize that until yesterday when we got to talking about headphones. I tried his on for fit, and they weren't bad for the short time that I had them on, but apparently that is usually the case. Gotta wear them a bit for them to get uncomfortable.
Mine were uncomfortable from the moment I put them on my head and the pain/pressure only got worse as the day went on.
I kept thinking they would stretch out and break in, but the comfort issue never got better.
I bought a pair of deteknix and sold my vance muffs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gene the machine

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another day older and deeper in debt.
I owe my soul to the company store

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Deteknix headphones for almost 2 years now and i realy like them. They are comfortable, last long enough for a full days hunt and have good sound quality. Only 1 minor point is that the ear pads come of very easily. I already lost 2 of them.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered a pair of Sunray Gold headphones today to modify for the Deus. I'll have to replace the speakers as Deus requires 15-30 ohm and Sunray's are 150 ohms but I'll be back in my comfy perfect fit headphones soon. Having the Deteknix for comparison will be helpful.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Deteknix headphones for almost 2 years now and i realy like them. They are comfortable, last long enough for a full days hunt and have good sound quality. Only 1 minor point is that the ear pads come of very easily. I already lost 2 of them.

That's good to know. The same is true for the Deus WS5s though, and they're a real pain to put back on.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, my first day with the new phones went well. I'm still having a bit of that "mono" problem, but really, I am pretty sure that is the controller, and not the phones. I've had similar problems in the past with the old phones. Sometimes it goes away by itself, sometimes I have to cycle the controller a few times. Today it wasn't complete mono, but one ear was much louder than the other.

Anyway... to the sound and comfort:

1) Sound: I have always liked the sound of my WS5s, and I really can't say that I noticed any real difference. I thought they were quite similar. I didn't notice any more growl from iron, which was something that I was kind of hoping for, but I had complete confidence in what I was hearing, which I can't say about the WS4s alone. (I really think its all, or at least mostly, a matter of what you get used to.)

2) Comfort: A dream.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the deteknix and they are awesome. Gives you versatility for sure between the over ear vs on ear.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread