Just got my Deus

Txop

Oct 21, 2017
North Texas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, X-terra with several coils, White's MXT, Whites Classic ID, Troy Shadow X2 (my first detector), and a carrot pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The UPS guy delivered my detector this evening. I put it together and turned it on in the house and all I got was a bunch of chatter! I have had some detectors that were noisy around the house but this beats them all. I had to turn the sensitivity down to 45 to get it to shut up. I tried shifting the frequency to no avail. Now remember this is in the house. Is everyone else's this noisy inside their house? Btw. My Explorer SE Pro that I traded in on this was about the same way around my house. We just have too mush EMI in the house. With all the buried utilities in the yard I can hardly swing anything in my yard except my wife's Classic ID. For some reason it runs real quiet.

My initial thought after 5 minutes with the detector is "what the heck did I get myself into" , "this is really weird without wires", and "this charging clip isn't going to last long".

In all seriousness it is a little overwhelming compared to the other detectors I own although the menus seem real easy to find the settings you need.

I am charging it all up now and I am going to have to get it outside tomorrow and see what it will do. I just hope here in the big city it is usable because that's where we mainly hunt.

I really can't believe they couldn't do a better job on the charging clip. I have seen post that say they last but you would really have to be careful. I see an aftermarket charging clip in the near future.

I was glad to see it already has V4.0 installed on it. There is also a full size screen protector in the box but not sure what to do with it. It's the size of the front of the controller so I was not sure what it would do installed over the buttons. Did anyone else get this in the box? I did get a nice case off ebay and it fits like a glove.

One more question for you guys. The book shows to get the controller off the mount you push it up with your thumb. I have seen a lot of video that show tilting it forward to get it off. Which way do you guys do it? The snap it makes tilting it forward doesn't sound too good to me.

Time to go lay in bed, watch Gunsmoke, and read the manual..

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watch Gary deus expert training videos on youtube will help you big time.... the machine is sensitive and will go crazy indoors...but its one of the deepest on the market. clip will last if you don't step on it.

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yep... it's a chatty cathy in da house. yes, push it up with ur thumb. it's hard to do but if you do it the other way the controller will begin to get loser and loser to where it can start falling off. lol... now r u glad u got a deus? lol... get andy sabisch book on the deus and read that also when you're watching marshall dillon. but it's a great machine and you'll love it... in time. go slow and learn one program well so you get to know what it's telling you and the great finds will be happening. gl&hh

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My first charging clip lasted about a year. The cover that came with my machine has never been used. I suppose one could clip the remote to their belt(with the cover on it) and hunt by sound alone consulting the VDI only in extreme cases but I run into a lot of extreme cases. Cheap clips and worthless covers aside the Deus is a metal sniffing bloodhound. When I moved up to a Deus from an AT Pro I thought the move was marginal but recently I used the AT pro again and the move DOWN was painfully noticeable.

OP
OP
T

Txop

Oct 21, 2017
North Texas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, X-terra with several coils, White's MXT, Whites Classic ID, Troy Shadow X2 (my first detector), and a carrot pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments. I have been reading Andy's book but Now that I have everything here I think the place to start is reading the owners manual and then Andy's book. I already see I was starting it up correctly and letting it calibrate.

Yes, I am glad I got a Deus.

I can't say a bad thing about Garrett. I live about 3 miles from the factory. It's not a small operation. They really support our local clubs. It's been a long time since I owned a Garett but when I needed a part or book they would just hand to to you and say "no charge" enjoy. Like I said they are really a good company and their detector are built very well. There is a old park in downtown Garland, Tx about 1/2 mile from the Garrett factory. I have heard they do some testing there. I hunt there all the time with the wife. We didn't get a lot last time we were there. I can't wait to take the Deus out there asofter I understand it a little better. I am thinking there has to be some deep targets left. It's a big park.

Calabash, I have mainly been watching your videos. I'll take a look at Gary's.

Catch you all later. I can't get any reading done while I am typing but I can watch Gunsmake and read at the same time :)

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Txop,
Gary's videos are great for the first timer and CBD's are great for in field settings.
When I first started out with my Deus it was like how can this "TOY" detect better than my other "REAL" detectors.
To start out learning I hit all the schools and parks TotLots mostly with Basic 1 and Deus Fast.
At this point don't get in a big hurry to start adjusting settings. That will come with practice.
This gave a good idea what good targets sounded like without all the trash.
Then with all my knowledge from the videos and Andy's book I started to venture out into pulltab and crown cap land.
Take your time and be patient.
Good luck and HH

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Club Deus !

A2F00921-4EAC-4C3B-A661-36F3A8B6F131.png 120EB9E6-2C60-4F12-A360-43A22BAD9F91.png
84657A8D-B3F2-4B9F-99CD-4C4E381C4FBD.jpeg 4FD00DD2-5331-4D2A-B42C-D995012695E7.jpeg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. Lol, yeah, please do not judge it by how chatty it is in your living room. Got WiFi? Got Fluorescent lights? Remember, the thing is completely wireless unlike your Garrett etc. So you know what that means? Yeah it's a radio not just a radiator (off the coil) like most detectors. So very susceptible to all the sources of near field Interference in your home. To properly initialize (and not overwhelm) it's RF Interference suppression filters, it needs to be turned on in the field with the coil at hip height until the light on the coil flashes steady. This is different than EMI being received back through coil (where transmit frequency matters). That's why shifting frequencies made no diff. Regardless, it is somewhat of a chatty cathy and one of the keys to success is making the appropriate adjustments to quiet it down in the field. Have fun with it.

OP
OP
T

Txop

Oct 21, 2017
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have already made some progress. Turning it on the proper way makes a BIG difference. It's real quiet in the front yard an about the same as my Explorer was in the back. I made my test garden right next to the underground internet cable. It's really a challenge. I do have another test garden in the front yard that is about 15 years old. Today was the first time I have heard my nickle in a long time.

We are having our club Christmas party tonight with a fun hunt at a very old park on the west side of town. I am going to take it out there tomorrow. I already have the hang of it and now just need to learn what all the combinations of settings do. That is going to take a while. I am hunting in full tones. I had a Minelab Sovereign years ago and it sang kind of like full tones but it was a very slow swinger. So was my Explorer so it's going to take some time converting over to a faster swing.

I plan on entering the "Trashy" program and saving it just in case this park is littered with junk. I do have a question. When you want to enter a new program from scratch what program do you use as a base to start with?? I saw the trashy park program list but there are many more setting in the remote. How do you make sure they are at there default?? I guess I am just trying to figure out where a factory default program is to start with. Does that make since??

Thanks for any help with this question.

Harold

OP
OP
T

Txop

Oct 21, 2017
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Figured it out watching Gary's video. I think I'll go away until I watch some more videos and read ALL the manual :)

jtorpy

Greenie
Apr 13, 2017
North half Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus with MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doing your homework and taking the time to learn your machine is true for any brand detector! The Deus can be a bit intimidating at first, but once you start learning tricks and adjustments the payoff is huge. Had mine for almost 2 years now and my finds number and quality have shot up dramatically from my old Tesoro machine. (it wasn't the machines fault, i have really dug into learning my machine and scouting better areas to hunt.) The available youtube videos and other forums can be helpful when used with a "grain of salt". What works for one person may not for you. find a happy balance point, then experiment with your settings especially on sites you have previously hunted. The Deus surprises me almost every time out. I love it when a land owner say "you probably wont find anything so many others have hunted here before" I usually ask it any with an XP Deus? The answer is always no. and then I am sure to share with them all the interesting finds that come up. Which usually ends up with them wanting me to come back again.

Anyways I'm preaching to the choir. Enjoy you amazing machine. I know we are all enjoying ours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread