tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright folks.

I started detecting in Dec 2010 and my first detector was the White's V3i.

A challenging detector for any person new to detecting to learn how to use.

This thread though geared to the XP Deus detector.
This thread was constructed when latest version software was indeed version 4.0. This info presented here, most is applicable to the now latest durrent version 4.1.
At the end of this info stream posted by me is a link to another thread on this forum again constructed my me that talks about a new feature version 4.1 offers called ground sensitivty setting.

Obviously for folks who have some detecting experience may find some of this info less helpful, even boring.

But I do think these same folks new to Deus may find some of the info useful.

So where to start?

Don't expect to learn Deus in a day, week, or month even with heavy use. But every outing a user will build on their foundation of skill while using.

I encourage all Deus owners to read their manuals. Pay particular attention to proper way for hooking charging clip up to your coil.

And I do realize some of the mumbo jumbo mentioned in the manual likely sounds like a foreign language to some.

But you need to still read so you can relate easier to what I am posting.

I will be explaining some at least of this "mumbo jumbo"

This post here will not be done in one day, will take a few days at least for me to put together here.

So let's begin.

Sweeping

Deus is what I call a very good ground reactive detector.

Meaning swing speed for depth is very forgiving unlike some models.

You will see sweep technique shown in manual and even talked about on forums.

Bottom line you need to get your coil over anything you want to find.

It is not imperiative to have a long sweep side to side for target location.

But you the user need to be paying attention to just how much of the ground you sweep over while coil is properly positioned "level" as you move around. A user can be what I call a sweeper, or a creeper using Deus coil while searching. Both methods will work depending on detecting site. Beginners should go slower rather than faster when detecting. Remember obstacles too can slow your sweeping and coil advancement. In cleaner sites good rule of thumb - a 1001 and 1002 count for a complete swing right or left and vice versa. For area with more trash, iron or nails a slower sweep may be necessary, even creeping the coil while hunting.

Detector rod length.

No hard and fast rules here.

Bottom line adjust for your comfort. If you don't you'll tire faster. Users should also consider lengthening or shortening rod length on the fly as the ground one is detecting on can be below one's feet or above. Coil height above ground is very important. Coil needs to be close as possible without scrubbing or digging into the ground. It is not unusual if a user does hit the ground with coil or a protruding obstacle above ground for detector to give false audio (blips, noise).

Ground mineralization

This is important to know, and the Deus gives a user a meter to check called mineralization strength meter.

Basically all one has to do is bob their coil over clean ground (no metal) around 4-5 times and watch the meter.

Anything say 3 dots displayed or less, detector performance for depth capability not affected.

Four to 6 dots, some depth capability is being compromised.

More than 7 up to full scale shown, even more depth is compromised.

Detection in general.

Question, does the Deus alert on all targets as long as they are under the coil when swept?

Short answer not likely. Why?

The Deus coil as far as alerting on targets will depend on many things besides the target just being under the coil (inside the coil's perimeter).

Things like ground minerlization, target size, target shape, target orientation, and yes even if any other nonferrous or ferrous targets that may exist in vicinity. I should also mention detector settings too can influence. And I will talk about this later when talking about some of the actual settings.

So as you can see, actual coil progression when detecting can be very important for locating targets. This progression, even a lot of intermediate experienced Deus users haven't fully grasped yet.

Ferrous means things like iron and nails, anything really a magnet will stick to. Nonferrous means things like gold, silver, copper, pewter, things a magnet won't stick to.

So the Deus is engineered to give users the capability to find the nonferrous items, things we cherish more than say a nail.

Discrimination.

A persons doesn't need to know how the inner workings of Deus work here or even be s rocket scientist to be able to use the Deus and be successful.

Basically the Deus uses a range of disc where a user can set to reject ferrous and yes even nonferrous.

Usually nonferrous on Deus' meter reads above 20 all the way up to the 90s region depending on the target's conductivy. With exceptions I will discuss.

Iron will usually read 00-07.

Most of the factory programs on Deus have disc settings to discrimimate out/knock out iron and nails.

Deus meter readings as far as target identification.

This is the area using Deus that is the most difficult for folks to understand, even some prior experienced detectorists.

If a user will grasp this IMO you are well on your way to being successful with Deus.

Deus owners need to do a remedial excercise here by setting their detector up inside or out side their home (preferably outside). You need to select the basic program and have your remote removed from rod so you can see the remote's meter reading. This sweeping targets in the air is called air testing. The data obtained by doing this can be be beneficial but also due to how Deus works can be misleading.

So as you sweep say a nickel or a copper or zinc penny note meter reading with the program you have chosen. Sweep the coins at various distances from coil.

Question, will a deus user see these same exact meter readings if they sweep a buried undisturbed exact same coin as noted above while detecting in the wild? Short answer here yes and no depending. And this is exactly the confusing part. On shallower coins a user may indeed see the exact same or very near meter reading. But on deeper coins likely not.

This depth attained for a coin say to make the Deus start giving inaccurate meter readings is how much?? It depends on some things, like freq used, other detector settings, ground mineralization.

So if a person depends on Deus meter all the time, they will be fooled.

But knowing this tomfoolery Deus does to users, as long as we know we can be aware and yes, even take advantage of it. Remember Deus is giving tone, so it is telling us something is buried. Just what exactly we don't really know. Now some examples here, not exact but to show how the Deus can behave as far as giving correct ID on say a coin.

Where I live I usually see about 5-6 dots in mineralization strength meter. A dime buried I can usually expect with ideal settings to get accurate ID to about the 7.5" depth with 9" low frequency coil. This ID accuracy at depth can be driven by coil sized used too.

If we go out west where the minerlization index reads significantly higher we may only get good ID of buried dime at say 3" deep.

If we go to the Midwest where soil minerlization levels are even milder than my area, we may see good ID at even deeper than 8" deep.

With Deus use and monitoring minerals levels users will start to see a trend with their units for ID accuracy at depth.

Deus users avoid this thinking here. What if my ground is twice as minerlized (or gives twice the number of dots in mineralization strength meter) as say another person's area, does this mean they can detect twice as deep? No

Back to Deus ID when a deeper target nonferrous like a coin is swept in the wild. Gold nugget detectors, this info will apply to you too.

The Deus engineering is set so when the detector fails to garner enough info for target ID, it will many times continue to provide tone on a nonferrous object and report ID intentionally in error. User likely to see higher meter readings displayed in the 90s region for ID or no ID at all. Usually a target providing such erroneous yet a worthy target will sound lower audio wise not blaring like a shallower target.

For instance even using Deus with optimum settings dialed in for a site, very possible for a deeper nickel, or a deeper dime or even a deeper pull tab to give similar/same tone and meter readings. Most old sites with no dirt being moved around, fortunately we usually would 't expect to find a pull tab down real deep, but shallower. So be mindful of this when hunting sites with dirt moved around with equipment. Now I used a pull tab in talking above, this would extend to any nonferrous deeper detected junk target, and could even be a gold coin or ring.

Does size of target affect how Deus ID targets? It can. The size and conductivity of target depending on Deus settings can affect.

A few examples to show.

A small piece of aluminum only 4" deep may not ID accurately. And instead behave more like what I mentioned above as far as deeper coins do. So a user could indeed see this small piece of foil or aluminum read in the 90s region or give no ID at all.

A lead buckshot at 4" deep may sound off tonally and yet give a much higher meter reading (90s region or no ID).

Now, you'll notice I have said Deus will give erroneous ID (non airtest I.D) on deeper objects. And will report in the 90s region usually or give no I.D at all. Is this the true in all cases? Unfortunately not. Deus as far as ID can get caught in what I call no man's land for ID. An example. Using 12khz with unnormalized ID selected will read 56. So usually the nickel at shallow depths user will see 56 in the meter, and deeper will see 90s region reading, but it is possible to see some thing between the ideal reading of 56 and this 90s region meter reading. It does happen occassionally.

Use of the XY screen

How reliable is it? Depends on detecting scenario. Beginner detectorist and first time Deus users will likely depend on more but will wean themselves from more and more as their experience levels build. Bottom line it is NOT a conclusive means to determine if a target is worthy of digging or not, rather just a guide. Solo sitting targets XY screen more reliable. Can help you with bottlecaps recognition too.

Test garden or burying targets to test using Deus.

Is this a good idea? You bet!!! And if a Deus owner will bury various targets at various depths, you will be able to relate first hand to a lot of what I have said so far. Seeing is believing. Airtest your buried targets too. A disclaimer here. Doing freshly buried tests using Deus, IMO if using Low Frequency Deus coils -doing is good, I caution folks using HF coils, I feel a user testing using these likely will not gather what I call as good of life like performance as seen in the wild.

Ground Balance

How important is it?

Depends on your ground minerals and detector settings as far as how depth of detection is affected.

Deus offers multiple ways to ground balance.

All methods will work, a user hunting inert super low mineralization ground may have trouble achieving a pumping ground balance though.

Notice default level is 90 ground phase.

Deus gives 2 readings as far as ground phase. The detector felt ground phase and what a person has manually dialed in or the what detector has dialed in automatically if you did a pumping, or tracking ground balance.

Is one method better than the other? In some cases.

Would depend on how quick your ground changes as the coil is moved over or how much trash, junk, iron and nails are in the area you are detecting.

Open field hunting where ground is cleaner tracking ground balance will work just fine.

No matter which method you use, one thing to keep in mind. This is monitoring occassionally how the top number and bottom number coincide. Small deviations here not too concerning but mediocre and large differences here could cause you to miss a target.

Users of Deus should not depend on ground phase readings to judge soil mineralizations levels, instead use you minerlization strength meter and do what I suggested ealier above. Also of special note here, don't depend on mineralization strength meter for judging mineral levels while coil is being swept- Bob coil over clean ground!!

So what are some things a person may notice as far as their detector associated with ground balance setting?

Improper ground balance can cause detector to get noisy.

Improper ground balance can cause Deus to start making nails or iron sound like good targets.

Particular attention needs to be paid when using tracking ground balance. Deus version 4, the tracking ground balance seems was improved but still using tracking GB in areas with loads of junk, trash, iron and nails can be problematic. User will at times catch Deus tracking down below actual ground phase, and if you are not careful you may think you are digging a good target only to find a ferrous target like a nail. A lot of high tones or noise likely will be heard. Also when digging targets using tracking GB, you lay your detector down, it may take a while for it to track back to the ground.

Beach mode uses a different scale with default level 30.

Folks can sweep in their yards and watch how the tracking works, also do a pumping ground balance too.

What about manual GB.

It does have a purpose for advanced use of Deus, and I will discuss later. But in case any Deus Lite users are reading here. Since they don't have a remote hence no pumping GB or tracking GB option, how do they do a proper GB?? Btw even Deus users with remotes may find this helpful, you never know you may have a problem with remote, so if this happens you do have a work around using headphone module only.

Proper ground balance of Deus is when the Deus coil as it approaches ground when lowering to give slight feedback, NOT dead quiet. (Not raising coil) This can be proved although not by a Deus lite user, by doing a pumping ground balance using remote. Then listening with 0 disc as coil is lowered to ground slowly. Then go to manual GB on remote dial GB up or down far away from actual GB phase achieved using pumping GB earlier and start listening as you manually adjust GB with remote.

Some gee whiz info here, and by me stating this I encourage folks to use a good GB when detecting with Deus.

The higher frequency you utilize using any of the low frequency coils with Deus, the more forgiving the ground balance. The lower the frequency used the more critical--- all pertains to depth of detection. And overall the use of low frequency coils are more forgiving GB wise vs both of the HF coils available for Deus.

Depth of targets

Deus doesn't have a traditional depth meter instead uses a horseshoe icon and there is data supplied on XY screen as well.

I like the horseshoe meter, but it will take a Deus user some experience to get accustomed to what it is telling you. Some things to note. Deus horse shoe meter is split into a right and left side. When discrimination is utilized one side will show a target as ferrous and one side will show nonferrous. Users should test over a coin (nonferous) and a small nail. Is this horseshoe data shown foolproof for exposing nonferrous targets, even coins? No User can and will see the horseshoe switching sites left to right and vice versa when sweeping suspect spot. What does this switching of sides mean? No clear answer, could be a ferrous and nonferrous in close proximity, or could be iron falsing causing. Deus tone and Deus behavior tonally are the primary keys in making dig decisions.

The actual depth indication is indicated by how much horse shoe shading is shown or how less depending on how you look at it. More shading indictates shallower target, less is deeper. Remember this meter is geared for coin sized objects, not whole cans, even US silver dollars or silver dollar sized targets. This shading will depend on depth, but detector settings can affect.

A few examples.

A whole aluminum can buried at 10" deep, will likely show more shading in horseshoe vs a 8" deep quarter or even a dime.

A bit of can slaw real small at 4" deep will likely show less shading than a copper penny at 4" deep.

So the horseshoe shading can be fooled by size of target. Most times coinsized targets detected at or near detectable limits with Deus will show a sliver of horseshoe or possibly none at all.

I mentioned detector settings can affect as well, I will discuss this later while talking about other settings.

A good tip here. Most times on coin sized targets if a user sees half or more horseshoe shading, actual meter reading for target ID ( conductivity of target) more believable or realistic.

Recognition of larger usually junk targets.

This being able to do is not hard, will come with Deus experience. Bigger targets like cans, etc can usually be identified by a monster strong tone. Users can also lift their coils say 2-4" and check their targets. Now be careful here the mighty silver dollar may allude you. Big aluminum pieces, cans will ID on meter lots of times like higher conductive coins silver and copper. Use of pinpoint here can help too. I encourage users to experiment and practice over a few at least buried bigger items like cans. Any yes even the best experienced detectorists dig a deeper can every now and then. Better to be safe than sorry. Some thing I failed to mention. Using pinpoint, your Deus is not discriminating nonferrous vs ferrous, the pinpoint function sounds off on ALL metals period. Another thing I need to say here. Could a person be fooled using pinpoint? What am I referring to? Take a coin where the Deus sounds off on tonally, but before a user digs they use pinpoint and the pinpointing yields a larger than coin sized target. It can happen. The Deus in pinpoint may see the coin and yes maybe a bigger piece of ferrous and thus try and fool you.

Deus chatter and EMI

The Deus is by nature a detector that makes some noise practically all the time. And sometimes it is hard to discern this chatter (noise) from affects of emi, which is basically interference the Deus may pick up. This can come from things like radio towers, cell tower, ham radios, electric fences, invisible dog fences, etc.. I rate Deus above average for being able to be used and cope with environments typically called higher emi environments. The chatter the Deus makes a user will have to get accustom to as normal ops. One reminder here. DON'T think you can run Deus with lower sensitivity thus slightly erasing or lowering this chatter and expect to get solid performance depth wise. Learn to live with the chatter. Most instances of detecting using Deus depending on the site and emi, sensitivity settings of 86-95 will be used. A side note here. Both HF coils available for Deus, especially the elliptical HF coil seem to yield less chatter on average vs the use of the low frequency coils.

Deus tone behavior

The Deus has probably the most nuanced audio of any detector on the open market. What does this mean exactly? Well the Deus has the uncanny ability to tell a user usually about a targets metal quality, shape and its relative positon to ferrous materials. Use of the backphones provided with Deus, IMO a user will not be able to take full advantage of this nuance. A user can use back phones and make some finds though, I have. I don't like the Ws5 headphones either, and I don't want to turn this thread into promoting anything but there are better options available for folks. User will use the small module used with backphones to slide onto these better headphones.

I recommend Deus users to use the basic programs on Deus and try the following. Get yourself a small piece of foil, a coin (nonferrous), a coin sized piece of can slaw. Sweep these targets, even bury say a couple inches. Listen to the tone, it's signature not pitch. While sweeping walk all the way around these targets sweeping and listen. Notice how "round" sounding the coin is. Try a ring too. Even other nonferrous junk targets smaller at your disposal. Deus is a TONE detector, mastering the audio is necessary to become highly proficient using. The meter indications are just additional tools to use and they deserve less priority for dig/no dig decisions.

What will you hear tonally when sweeping different objects?

The best way I can answer this.

Deus will provide beepers, squeakers and leakers as far as (noise) made on various nonferrous targets.

Time for another exercise here. Users need to get an axe head or a horseshoe and sweep using basic program. Also sweep a gum wrapper and a nonferrous coin. How does the axe head or horseshoe sound? Notice how forced and honkish they both sound? Notice how much smoother the gum wrapper and coin are? Also watch the meter reading on the axe head or horseshoe. See anything strange, like a 90s reading the meter?

You should and you will see this when using Deus in the field. The tone how it sounds, how it enters and departs tonally on the edges are key. Smaller than horseshoe and axe head ferrous items can cause this too. Nails usually won't. A railroad spike might though.

So as far as sweeping the coil over a detectable range nonferrous object what will a user hear exactly? Remember my talking above about how Deus ID will be inaccurate depending?? Well, the tones you will hear are tied usually to this meter reading you have set in the detector (remember factory programs are preset). Now notice I used the word here usually. There are exceptions.

Some examples.

Let's assume you have Deus set to give high tone on a dime. Will a user when sweeping buried dimes in the wild, will they hear a high tone always? No

This could be attributed to a piece of ferrous masking the dime somewhat, a colocated lower conductive nonferrous junk target even a nickel.

Yet the Deus can in fact tell you the dime (or higher conductive coin) exist sometimes. You the user have to decide what to do.

Another example you have a nickel set to give a mid tone, some gold rings likely would too. So will all nickels give this mid tone when swept?

Yes and no, on shallower likely, and this is directly tied to what I said ealier in thread as far as Deus providing erroneous ID of targets at deeper depths. So the nickel in fact could yield a high tone if deep enough, and you the user have the 90s region set to give a higher tone.

Colocated coins of a higher conductivity level like copper pennies, dimes, quarters, etc, if these are comingled with a junk target that possesses a lower conductive value the actual tone Deus produces could be an average (with possible corresponding ID on meter) of these different objects. The size of the junk lower conductive target will be a major factor on how much of any the Deus Feels electronically. An average meter reading is possible too as long as the objects are not too deep.

Deus coil when it is swept, depending on what and the orientation of what is under the coil, Deus will feel conductivy level and report. So simply speaking here, colocated ferrous, nonferrous the Deus is looking at these and a tug o war is happening. Which one wins, is there a tie, or is the ferrous so dominant to the point Deus can only relay iron signal. Now Deus is ranked supreme for discerning this info tonally to user, remember TONALLY not by looking at the meter! A lot of other detectors cannot derive the existence of some nonferrous collated with ferrous depending on orientation and size of all metal objects present under the coil at any one time.

You may hear Deus referred to as a beep and dig detector.

So it it really?

Yes the detector can be used and the beeps can be dug, and with time a user will likely make some finds. But if you see anyone referring to Deus like this, be cautious with anything they really have to say about Deus.

Why?

Deus is far more than a beep and dig detector. Time for another excercise. Get a dime or penny or similar sized coin (nonferrous) and go to a clean piece of ground. Bury the dime at various depths and continue to bury and rebury until you can't get your Deus to signal tonally. When you determine the max detectable depth of coin, listen close to what you hear. You shouldn't be hearing a full tone like you heard when the coin was buried shallower I. .e. 4" deep. Yes on shallower and mid depth nonferrous object Deus is more beep and dig, but on deeper targets, no so. I should point out here, using Deus in polluted sites with appropriate settings users will likely find many nonferrous object that are not deemed beep and dig. These target though may not sound exactly like what you heard by doing the exercise above with burying your coin deeper an deeper while listening to Deus response at various depths. I will talk about these later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reactivity setting and Silencer setting

These 2 terms here likely scared some folks off initially from purchasing Deus in the first place.

These terms I guess were new to the detecting community hence the reason why.

So what is the Reactivty setting and what does it do exactly?

Reactivty is a speed setting on Deus for recovery setting, where the higher the number the faster Deus recovers. Objects can be place on same plane for sweeping of mixed conductive values and a person can play with Reactivty setting and see SOME of its affects.

Notice I said some, there is more to Reactivty setting than speed. It changes the coil footprint it seems electrically. 3-D unmasking of nonferrous below ferrous can be improved upon depending on the detecting scenario. Also of special note here and this is very important in my book. Reactivity setting depending on ground minerals a user can improve the Deus' performance for picking up nonferrous targets.

A good set of rules of thumb for folks to follow.

Mild ground all reactvity settings useable for detection of nonferrous objects.

Medium mineralized ground (around half meter dots wise in mineralization strength meter) Reactivty settings of 2, 2.5, 3,4, and 5 useable for detection.

In sites where mineralization strength meter is 3/4 scale and higher, Reactivty levels of 2.5, 3, 4, and 5 useable for detection.

Now, size of buried targets can drive this Reactivty setting somewhat as the ground gets higher mineralized.

So what happens if you use the wrong/improper reactive setting for your ground mineralization?

Targets (nonferrous) could sound like ferrous, broken signal, more coil position and or sweep speed sensitive for detection.

Reactive setting also drive your detectable depth with lower levels yielding more depth. Remember though depth of detection is relative to ground mineral levels.

For example.

In mild ground I may likely be able to detect a 9" deep dime using Reactivty level 1.

But if in higher mineralized ground the same 9" deep dime I may have to use Reactivty level 2 to attain signal, or a better sounding signal.

Reactivty setting will generally drive length of signal on a detected target.

Lower Reactivty levels if useable in one's ground will yield a longer tone signature vs reactivity level set higher. Time for another exercise. Go to Deus basic program and adjust Reactivty to level 3. Bury a dime or penny down as deep as the Deus will detect. Once you find this depth, start lowering Reactivty and listen to the tone. Tone should sound stronger and longer as reactivity is lowered below 3. Also sweep the coin at various speeds with different reactivity settings. See any difference? How slow or fast you can go to detect and get a signal,to make you investigate. Remember here your coin is sitting in the open, no iron around or other nonferrous materials. So Reactivty setting is definitely more than just separation speed. The Deus' detection "eye" is affected here with changing Reactivty setting.

Fringe depth detectable targets for example using Reactivty level 4 will yield and even shorter tone when object is detected.

So Reactivty setting, proper setting depends on ground mineral levels as well as swing speed one uses. A balancing act sometimes is done meaning if a person knowingly decides to run too low a reactivity they will intentionally sweep slower. As one gathers more experience with Deus they will see this. It is my opinion, folks new to Deus, new detectorist learning Deus do not use Reactivty levels 0 or 1, or level 5. As your skill and experience grows you will be able to venture here and have a better understanding of what is going on.

Remember I said Reactivty can drive depth of detection. Well the Reactivty setting can also drive how the Deus IDs targets, the tone it gives and also affect horseshoe shading based on a targets depth.

Example, a 8" deep nickle. Using reactivity level 2, Deus may give accurate ID, and approx mid levels to 3/4 shading of horseshoe,and give mid tone if assigned on nickel. But this same 8" deep nickel, raising Reactivty level to 3, horseshoe shading would be less, nickle ID inaccurate, and tone would follow the inaccurate ID, meaning if high tone assigned to 90s region nickle would give high tone. Plus tone would be noticeably shorter.

Special note here: Deus silencer can change when a user is changing Reactivty setting, and user won't realize. When going to Reactivty levels 2 and lower, silencer setting will self adjust itself all on its own. If a user saves a program with reactivity levels 0-2 with low silencer, and a user turns on their Deus and selects program silencer setting preset in your programs intact, however if you decide to bump your Reactivty up in your program and then decide to go back to reactivity levels 0-2 your silencer setting may not be what you want. Users should experiment with this to see what happens and be mindful of this in the field when detecting.

So you can see Reactivty setting depending, adds a lot of variables for a user to keep up with when detecting targets.

Silencer

What is it?

Basically it is your filter setting. How can it hurt or help you in the field. First of all -1 setting is filter off, and as you progress upwards more and more filter is applied.

The milder the ground generally the more silencer you can run for max detectable depth. Too much silencer a target may get broken, or signal gets compromised on the edges making a user think ferrous instead of nonferrous. Silencer setting can also be used to make Deus give broken signals or compromised signals on the mighty steel bottlecaps. But remember silencer affects depth somewhat. So here you can't have both- max depth and broken signals on bottle caps usually. A Deus user can set up a like programs adjacent to their hunt program and toggle to it and check using your designed program with higher silencer setting. Silencer setting also affects Deus' capabilities of separating and unmaking in iron too. My advice is set to level -1 or 0 if in milder ground and learn Deus this way as far as actual detecting. Deus will be sparkier sounding tonally on some iron and nails vs using higher silencer settings.

Max separation and unmasking capabilities happen with silencer set to -1. This is with all coils. Disclaimer here. The use of the elliptical HF coil, running silencer at -1 does give Deus max capabilities as stated above, but a user can expect to dig a higher level of ferrous targets while detecting in the wild.

Audio response setting

What does it do basically? It depending on level allows Deus to modulate signals to varying degrees or not.

Levels of 4 or less generally will allow deeper targets to sound fainter, whereas levels 5-7 for all practical purposes make all targets sound the same. What I have said here is in an ideal sense. Closes the gap may be better to say here.

I personally recommend a setting of 5 and learn the Deus. Ninety nine percent of my Deus use, my audio response setting has been at level 5. In high wind or noisy environments wearing backphones I have used levels 6 or 7 occassionally.

What could lowering this setting of for you, say level 3 setting?

Well surface targets will definitely sound out moreso with tone strength volume, with deeper targets sounding fainter.

Say a friend has recently lost a ring. Using lower audio response should allow shallower targets to be heard easier. You will if used infact have a form of tonal volume discrimination, the ring won't be deep like things lost months and years ago. A user might even decide to dial their sensitvty down as well.

Notch use and what it does.

The use of notch is so a user can if they desire knock out certain targets, usually junk targets. Using notch does come with risks though. The notch feature is designed to tonally knock out targets based on the Deus' felt conductivy levels of what it detects. So if an adjacent or colocated lower or higher conductive target exist notch may work to your disadvantage giving no tone or broken tone, meaning it's existence could go unknown to you while sweeping.

Notch feature the way it works is tied to Deus ability to I.D targets depth.

Remember I keep harping that Deus ID on deeper targets inaccurate. Well, what this means is I can actually notch out a nickel and still detect tonally. Strange sounding right? Yes if I notch out a nickel the shallow and mid depth nickels would be blocked tonally, yet the deeper gets through tonally. So on a site with some modern trash, a person could use notch to notch out all lower and mid conducive junk like pull tabs, and yes you have capability to make finds - deeper.. Deeper nickels, both shallow and deeper higher conductive things like silver, deeper pull tabs if they exist and other deeper junk targets.

You should bury some pull tabs and other mid to lower conductive junk targets and experiement with notch. Even consider laying a pull tab near a dime and experimenting. Notch if used, if a target(s) scenario is computed and felt by Deus and it is near the boudaries (either end) of your area of notch very possible for targets to try and leak through with broken tone, static, definitely not whole tonal sounding. A key thing to remember about notch. Deus can on some nonferrous targets depending on the scenario, say for sample a coin mixed with nail. This coin could be detected without incident using no notch, but could with notch employed, this coin could make no tone what so ever. Hence you walk right by. Deus and a lot of other Vlf detectors, whenever a nonferrous target is challenged by ferrous, Deus tendency is to start IDing lower. Remember the tug of war I mentioned earlier. The iron or nail may be trying to win over the Deus, but can't hence Deus engineering can decipher enough giving user the tonal clue/ behavior the nonferrous object exist. Could be pull tab, coin, even gold, piece of jewelry, etc.. Now remember this tug of war going on between iron/nails vs nonferrous targets. The higher conductive targets have to be pulled on more vs a lower conductive like a small gold coin, nickel 3 cent piece, etd. So more wars will be lost generally on the lower conductive targets. But Deus still shines here compared to many other detector models sniffing out the lower conductors mixed with ferrous materials. Deus likely will NOT find all nonferrous targets in a site. My goal here is to guide you so the Deus can do its thing as far as get what is it capable of getting out of a site.

Frequency

Deus can utilize low freq coils operating roughly at 4khz, 8khz, 12khz and 18khz.

Deus can also utilize HF coils (elliptical and round) as long as a user has version 4 Deus program loaded. The elliptical operates with 3 bands of 14.4khz, 28.8khz and 74khz. The round HF coil has 3 bands running at 14.4khz, 28.8khz and 54khz. All Deus coils do offer freq adjustment although limted for interference (emi) mitigation.

For now I am only going to talk about the low frequency (LF) coils.

So the first question a user might have is which frequency while using one of the LF coils do I use to detect? Is there better or or worse frequency to use depending? And do any of the frequencies offer any advantages or disadvantages?

First I should mention a user using 4khz on Deus, a users transmit power (TX) is locked to a level 3 setting, which is max. Right off the bat some here reading maybe thinking ok this should get me the most depth.

Will it?

Possibly but depends on soil minerals levels. Max TX power is not recommended (based solely on my experiences) on ground that is medium high to higher mineralized. If a person chooses to go against my advice here and try, what will they likely experience ? Detector can be noisier when sweeping, plus deeper targets could be washed out tonally, nonferrous targets could even mimmick ferrous materials. Remember you have no TX power adjustment here.

Some folks do build themselves a program with 4khz utilized to use by toggling to check for bottle caps. Bottle caps, Deus in 4khz likes to distort tone on them vs say a good nonferrous coin. Also 4 kHz NOT the frequency of choice when seeking deeper lower comductive targets like nickels, things made of pewter, small and medium sized gold items smaller and medium lead items, etc.

Also note here the use of 4khz when used in a site, Deus separation and 3D unmasking capabilities are greatly reduced. NOT a good frequency to use on an old site with loads of ferrous materials.

Next I am going to fast forward to the other end of spectrum. The use of 18khz. Use of this frequency allows Deus to give signals on lower conductive targets and yes even real small bits of higher conductive targets ( the size of these targets does drive felt conductive levels of Deus). Use of 18khz is where Deus operates at peak performance for separation and unmasking 3D target scenarios. So will a person generally be able to detect using this frequency and find verything a user using 4khz will? The answer is YES generally. A user of 18khz hunting an old site and is proficient with Deus will generally find more nonferous targets vs a user using 4khz, and this applies to the use of 8khz and 12khz as well. But remember the user of 18khz, the Deus will tone in more on more targets, the more masked, the smaller and or lower conductive, even deeper ones the use of higher freqs may indeed give no signal on or a more compromised signal allowing a user to miss.

Some differences noted when sweeping deeper higher conductive targets when comparing 4khz or 8khz to 18khz. User may indeed hear a stronger tone overall using 4 or 8khz. But remember your separation is a bit compromised when using these 2 frequencies. Coin sized targets are generally harder to be masked by ferrous materials so the use of 8khz for example could yield most detectable coins out of a site.

The use of 8khz is a good overall frequency for a coin hunter using Deus. This frequency although not the best for the deepest nickels.

The use of 12khz is a very good all arounder, strong on silver, copper and yes nickels even deeper ones. Some separation and unmasking capabilities though are lessened using this frequency vs the use of 18khz.

BTW, the utilization of the freq bands of 8khz, 12khz, and 18khz, Deus does offer user the option of TX power levels of 1, 2 and 3. But what I said above when talking about TX lower as far as 4khz use applies as well to these 3 frequency bands.

Special note here: User's frequency choice depending on target's conductivity be it a high, medium or lower conductive target as felt by Deus- Some targets may ID differently as far as tonal propeties and horseshoe data may be skewed depending. And example here. A user operating using 4 khz with say a greater than mid depth nickel under their coil, since 4khz is worse for detecting this lower conductive target, Deus may show this target deeper via horseshoe shading vs say using 12khz over the same nickel with all other settings equal (tx power of 3 in 4khz may not help or correct this here).

Some folks reading here may be still confused at to which frequency is the best choice for them.

I will talk about frequency as far as the HF coils go later.

Well this next subject I talk about here may help you decide which frequency you decide to use depending on your site for detection.

Frequency used versus ID of targets displayed in meter

When the Deus is able to give accurate to close to accurate ID of targets in the meter's window, this ID will depend on whixh frequency is used. Generally when the same target is swept using the different frequencies as the freq band is raised the ID of target will increase numerically in the meter's window. A dime will read lowest at 4khz and the highest at 18khz. The same for a nickel, quarter, penny, any nonferrous target really. So a person needs to become familiar with the different IDs using the different frequencies. Well you can if you want. But there is a way to avoid but using this process does come with a disadvantage - the process called normalization of Vdi.

Normalization is a term I need to talk about here. This feature is available in the menu system of Deus. And I believe it is default set to ON.

What does selecting normalization do? Selecting this option allows Deus in an ideal sense so that no matter what frequency a user uses, all targets read the same in the meter. Remember though some small differences may be witnessed. I encourage users to use this feature and compare on some coins and change frequencies and sweep them with this feature engaged and disengaged. Users will notice when this feature is turned ON, the ID of targets is geared to what a person would see using 18khz with the feature turned off.

So turning normalization ON ideally makes all targets read the same. So some may be thinking, oh boy a no-brainer why in the world would I want to have to rememeber all the different ID on say coins using different frequencies with normalization turned OFF?

Well there is a catch as to why this might not be the best choice.

What is this exactly? Well, when you change frequency on Deus and sweep nomferous targets they do ID differently, but this comes with a benefit. What benefit? Deus when lower frequencies are used will ID lower and mid conductive targets less near to the higher conductive targets. And when you set your tones bins up this makes it easier to disguish tonally what you have under your coil.

Another exercise.

Get a higher conductive coin, some junk targets like pull tabs, pull tabs with ring still attached, zinc modern penny, a dime., copper penny.

Sweep each one of your targets and note meter readings using each frequency with nomalization turned off. Note the differences. You should notice as lower frequency is used the zinc penny for example as far as ID is less near the ID of copper penny and dime. As frequency is raised the ID noted between copper penny and dime is nearer the zinc penny's ID. So using higher frequency a more rigid tone break when setting up your tones has to be done to differentiate a zinc penny from a copper penny.

I will cap of this section by talking more about TX Power setting.

I have already commented here previously about TX power level 3.

I'll repeat not a good choice for higher mineralized ground. Will cause some signals clearly detectable using Tx power 2 to be wishy washy.

Tx Power level 2 is the best overall choice in most detecting venues.

Tx power level 1 is good for hunting super polluted sites where depth in not the users concern. Using this lower level can allow Deus to sniff out some nonferrous targets where they would normally using higher TX power setting be masked (undetectable) or harder to hear for the user.

TX power level 3 does have one more use. In areas with high interference (emi) and a Deus user wants to back off on their sensivity setting (to reduce effects of e I) yet try to gain some of their depth capability back (not all) this will work. But in higher mineralized soil I don't recommend doing. Users should also note coil battery run times as TX power is adjusted to the different levels will be affected. Refer to Deus manual for more details.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright,

Confused yet or don't understand some thing I have said. Don't worry I won't leave you hanging.

Some general conversation here about Deus.

Let's talk about your roughly 5 first outings with your Deus unit.

What to do? Well it might be a good idea to take your Deus manual with you or at the very least have access to internet source of manual via cell phone in case you have difficulties. I HIGHLY encourage folks when they received their Deus units become famaliar with the menus shown on remote as well as what is a available on the headphone module with the remote powered on and off. Users should also learn how to pair each component following instructions in the manual.

So, let's say you hit the road with Deus to try out and hunt. Which programs should you be using? In my opinion new users of Deus, new detectorist starting out with Deus you have 3 options as far as programs. Use either Deus fast, Basic or the Hot program. I do not recommend running the deep program out the gate. So you are running one of these programs and you get confused because you made some settings changes while detecting.

What to do? Very easy. Deus is engineered so factory programs cannot be changed permanently. So when you power off Deus and turn back on all factory programs are reset to factory settings. If you have indeed designed a program on your own and named, when you power on Deus your program with all previously loaded settings will be in this program. But if you make changes to your program while using detector and get lost or confused, very simple. Turn off Deus, turn back on and your personal program settings will be reset to how you saved previously.

Folks, not all you tube videos are created equal. Some are defintiely better than others. The Deus will indeed hunt for you, given the opportunity and some application by you yourselves.

The mighty Deus will detect targets with multiple settings, multiple frequencies some times, but remember there is a distinct difference in checking an already located nonferrous target checking with other settings. What am I saying is, finding a target is harder to do usually than comparing Deus with different settings or even using another detector to compare over this same already located target. So don't develop a false sense of security based on some of your comparisons. Or get side tracked necessarily by some thing you see as far as you tube goes.

Xp Deus with a detectorist using a one LF coil setup, hunting older sites, Deus likely will not be able to be used with one set of settings and locate all nonferrous objects in a site the Deus is capable of.

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's talk about some general care here for your Deus unit.

The manual outlines some Dos and Don'ts.

Your Deus coil is waterproof down to a certain level depth wise when submerged, the remote is NOT waterproof. The remote is also a very costly item so give it the attention it deserves.

Rod maintenance. Deus rod is very durable. It is not meant to be a crutch, walking stick though. Users when digging targets and wish to keep a hold of their detector shouldn't it be leaning on their detector rod. The cam locks on the rod work well. One area to keep eye on with continued detector use is the pins that secure the camlock parts to the rod. The pins can with time work their way out somewhat. Pin movement likely will happen when the tension is removed from camlock while in the open position. So always transport your Deus rod with camocks in locked position.

Coil maintenance. Coil like I said is waterproof. The coil cover though can with use gather some dirt/sand under it. This could depending on the amount or how highly mineralized this dirt or sand is cause you some loss of depth performance. So remove your coil cover occassionally and clean as necessary. Keep the coil charging clip contact points clean. Good idea to clean before charging coil every time. Coil bolt used with Deus and washers seem are worthy. But users of Deus who travel longer distances to detect or go to more remote sites, carrying an extra coil bolt along is a very good idea. This bolt should not be over tightened, tightened properly coil should be able to be moved by hand with some moderate force. Better here to be looser than tighter, as long as coil will hold its proper position while you are sweeping is the idea here.

Remote maintence. Your remote's screen needs a protective cover to eliminate permanent scratching through contact while using your unit. Users have options available through many sources to purchase materials to protect remote's screen, the same materials used to protect iPad, cell phone, tablet screens will do. Users will likely notice with increase time on their units, this protective covering will indeed become scratched obscuring vision somewhat, so your protective covering may required changing in the future to insure best viewing of screen. Users when in the field should guard against pushing buttons on remote while fingers are covered with dirt/mud. Very possible for a build up to occur down under your remote's buttons causing problems.

Coil charging clip. The clip I deem as fragile. Use care when using when applying to your coil, don't over extend when opening when placing on your coil's contact points. I highly recommend folks to have at least one spare in case of breakage. There is at least one aftermarket charging clip available, from all accounts it is more durable than the factory clip supplied.

Headphone module. No real maintenance required. The contact points might require cleaning especially if a user is experiencing audio problems.

Warranty repairs

Xp's support for Deus repairs seems is very good. Folks should remember though all warranty repairs will require proof of purchase receipt. Registering your unit components on Xp's site no substitute for needed proof of purchase receipt in case warranty repairs are needed. And since Deus is more modular designed, an owner could sell of a part like headphones, ect and replace with something else. Insure if you do send another person a receipt, keep your very own copy of your purchase receipt for your components that remain on hand.

So is all a person needs to detect and find things just a detector?

Not quite, you must dig your targets.

Digging tools. Lots of different ones available. Hand diggers generally the right tool for parks and other public places where detecting is allowed. Shovels are nice for field, woods hunting, and areas of private land deemed unmanicured. Not all shovels are created equal. You go on the cheap here, you'll likely pay in the long run.

There are some miscellaneous things that can be bought and make your detecting experiences more enjoyable and could save you some time.

New detectorist should consider obtaining the following accessories.

Finds pouch- to carry your finds and even junk discovered.

Pinpointer- this device will many times speed recovery and you likely won't have to handle the dirt as much. There a several good quality pinpointers available. Good general rule of thumb, if you are spending more than $100, you are likely getting a good/decent pinpointer. XP does offer the MI-6 pinpointer. I have one and can highly recommend. This pinpointer unlike many others, can be actually integrated with your Deus unit. Meaning your pinpointer audio is heard through your Deus head phones or external speaker if used. Using this pinpointer integrated with Deus a user doesn't have to take their headphones off to hear the pinointer's audio working when it nears a metal object. The MI-6 pinpointer doesn't discriminate nonferrous vs ferrous materials.

Footwear. Steel toes shoes or boots not recommended, can affect your detector operation negatively. Wearing shoes or boots with metal shoe string eyes is feasible, just be mindful if trying to sweep your detector real close to your footwear. I like shoes or boots with no metals present.

Always factor in the weather you will be detecting in. Things like sun screen, insect repellent, water for drinking, handerchiefs, gloves (for both protection against cuts and colder weather detecting), cell phones, GPS devices, snake bite kit, and first aid kit. Additional appropriate clothing for temperature changes.

Folks hunting in more remote places. Common sense here. Tell someone where you are going and when you expect to be back.

Some prospective Deus unit purchasers may be reading here as well as folks who have the Deus Lite version- system that has no remote unit.

Some here may be seeing me use terms like silencer, tone breaks, and wonder what I am talking about since Deus lite users can't access.

Here is a link depicting all Deus system configurations provided by the manufacturer.

http://www.xpmetaldetectorsamericas.com/xp-deus

Anyway what are the differences between a Deus system where owner has a remote unit versus an owner who does have Deus system, but has not remote? Folks interesting in Deus may see Deus Lite or Starter package listed by the different dealers..

Here is what you have access to via wireless headphone module.

Factory program number selection
Remember some of the slots will be blank--- due to no upload

Disc
Sensitivity
Ground balance-- only manual-- no tracking or pumping like you would have with remote

Frequency
Number of tones, to include pitch and full tones

Sound volume

Coil selection-- in case you have more than one coil

Below is a list of settings options a Deus owner with remote possesses.

Notch
Tone break setting
Tone freq setting
Reactivity
Silencer
Ground notch
Iron vol adjustment
Auto ground tracking
Pumping GB option
Vdi non-normalization option**** default setting is On
Xy screen option
Update version option, or downgrade version option
Tx power setting
Freq shift
Overload setting
Pinpoint function
All metal mode(s) selection

A person purchasing a Deus package without remote.
They can use another person's remote and infact update their headphone module and coil.

They can by using someone's remote, actually program their setup with programs that entail making changes to the settings outlined above. (Remote only viewable/adjustable settings)
If a user does this, they will not have a way to actually view (or change) these settings, but the settings will be programmed into one's detector when detecting.
So a person would need to write down their settings per slot number on remote to remember which settings apply.

See pages 42-44 (Deus V4) manual. Here will see how factory programs are set up. Deus lite or starter package owners can see how their programs are set up, especially take note of the settings here you can't change (have no access to).

Last edited:
OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tone selection.

Deus offers options of 2 tone, 3 tone, 4 tone and 5 tone, as well as pitch and full tones.

So some folks may be wondering which one should I use and where.

Is there a correct true all the time answer here? No

Your selection after you get some time under your belt using Deus, likely you'll have your go to ones you use depending on your site and your primary targets of interest.

I will share my recommendations based on use, relic and coin hunting.

In sites where a user is seeking any and all nonferrous objects. I recommend 2 tone, pitch or full tones.

For coin hunting I recommend 3 tone and full tones.

Now why not 4 or 5 tones for coin hunting? A person can but a user will be hearing extra tones and to me it get too busy trying to decipher.

For Deus beginners (all) I recommend 3, but I would never go more than 4. Until I got my feet real wet using Deus.

How does full tones differ from pitch option?

Pitch option resembles 2 tone, user has ability to set pitch of desired tone quickly. Disc will have to be employed to dodge nails and iron. Iron vol when dialed up will signal ferrous materials unde the coil. Notch and disc can both be used to knock out targets if desired. Deus tonally using pitch option can be made to sound real zippy when tone pitch is dialed up.

Full tones option- allows user to run lower disc even 0 and negative disc and user can still identify the ferrous targets under their coil. Reporting of targets using this option report on a sliding scale based on the felt conductivy of the detector. Iron volume here disabled, so user if they want to hear ferrous will have to run their disc in the low range. Running disc in the lower ranges makes this option a real, real busy in sites loaded with ferrous materials. Optional use of disc allowed and is functional and when disc is dialed to approximately level 2-3, a lot of the smaller ferrous is knocked out tonally making the Deus quieter and easier to decipher. This is my GO TO option when hunting older sites loaded with iron and nails.

Three words come to mind here.

Crawl, walk, and run. For new detectorist, KISS principle will go a long ways in getting you out of the crawl stage with Deus. Fewer different tones to start off with.

Some tips here.

When starting out with Deus dig some targets,, but before you do walk all the way around each one before you dig sweeping. Every single target you dig will slowly but surely be one building block at a time towards understanding the Deus. Time in the field using is what is will take to become highly proficient, not reading forums. This info here will aid you, but you need real world evidence to advance.

So some as they are using their Deus, with time they may be asking themselves how are they doing? I did. How does one know exactly?

Probably the best answer is? Are you noticing things today you didn't notice yesterday or the week before. Get the idea? You will hopefully start having some ah ha moments. These may be small, and this is good. The entire process won't happen overnight - for anyone really. Too many variables and you the user have to get accustomed to the sounds the detector makes. When you sweep your coil, the potential combinations that exist beneath your coil could be earth shattering. I have seen a lot of folks on the different forums buy a Deus, and later sell. Did they ever learn really?? Maybe some did maybe some didn't. Funny thing is quite a few that bought and sold rather quickly, bought another one.

Back to tone selection options here.

Some may be wondering for instance, which is better full tones or pitch or using one of the other multitone options. So what is the answer?

There is no right answer. Why. Too many variables.

Allow me to share with you some first hand experiences using Deus, this will explain why I answered like I did above.

Deus is an uncanny detector. The disc system, and they way it is tied into audio system of detector can for a user throw them for a loop.

So if I were relic hunting looking for any and all nonferous, what differences could I see see when comparing signals over a suspect nonferrous target- using full tones and one of the muti tone options like 3 tone. First of all I would have to be running around a 6 level for disc using the 3 tone option. Full tones I can get away with 0 disc.

So what differences could be noted over the same buried nonferous target in the wild??? Comparing.

First hand account here. Using the 3 tone (this would be the same for 4 and 5 tone) I swept a target buried in the wild. I noticed a broad range of coil span allowance for detection. Same target running full tones and 0 disc sweeping same target, far less coil span allowed for detection.

So this target, odds wise would be easier to locate using multitone disc 6 vs Full tones and 0 disc. I have witnessed this quite a few times.

Now does this mean using multitone disc 6 is better than full tones 0 disc? No

I have seen targets when I got a good tone using full tones 0 disc, and then checked using muti tone disc 6, no signal period I would even think of digging.

Remember there will be targets that will be easier to locate using some different settings. And head to head may reveal other settings will allow same target to be heard. But this is not the same as initially locating target. Sometimes using full tones 0 disc just the melody of the tonal presentations heard, some thing stands out. Deus is like this. Listening to the "music" it plays tonally when coil is moving over various ferrous items with a rare breed nonferrous lurking It sticks out. When you hear some of these= ah ha moment.

Back to meter readings for a moment. Beginners maybe will be digging more textbook sounding and possibly textbook meter reading targets. Just remember there are more targets available for Deus to locate, some very worthy too that will not be textbook sounding, and will not provide textbook meter reading.

How does this sound, especially for some of the already experienced detectorist that are new here to Deus?

Deus will ID nonferrous with ID in iron range. Will ID some nonferrous with meter readings of get this - 00,01,02, 04,05,06 in the meter's window.

Strange right?

Sweep a 10-16 dd nail with Deus and watch what meter says.

But the tone on these nonferrous reporting ID in this seemingly low range will not sound like the 10-16dd nail you sweep.

So here is in my opinion another way to gauge how well you are progressing with Deus. You will likely dig a few nonferrous targets reading 05 and 06 in the meter. This is good, and with more time, you will dig a few targets reading 03, or perhaps 04. When you start finding nonferous that are reporting in the lowest iron range typically, you are getting very near highest levels of proficiency for seeking nonferrous with Deus in sites with nails and iron. This above is deemed more advanced info, it will with time come in handy for folks.

The pic below, all Deus users if they haven't done or a similar test, need to do. Btw a 2" or 3" wide roll of duct tape will do. Vary nail (position and orientation) and coin position as well as detector settings. What you will witness CAN and WILL be seen in the wild while detecting at times.
vryh5f.jpg

Last post here as far as my intent. I do need to go back up and add some things about using the xy screen. I will answer folks questions either privately or publically as far as anything I have said in this thread.

Last up here the high frequency coils.

So why would anyone want one of these?

Both HF coils based on my use and testing do separate better than both the 9" and 11" low frequency coils. Disclaimer here: I have never used the 11x13" LF coil.

Both HF coils offer no VDi normalization, so all target ID is frequency used driven. So a person willhave a lot to keep up with if they are cherry picking signals for say coins when bouncing between frequencies. Both HF coils seem to run with less chatter, with the elliptical having less vs either the 9" or 11" LF coils. Both HF coils offer no Tx power adjustment. So it is fixed. Both coils do have programs named the same as the LF coils. An owner of a HF coil must run version 4 update software. Both coils are white in color. As of late XP does offer Deus system package where the elliptical HF coil is part of.

These coils may have been intended for gold nugget hunting, but can they help a detectorist in other areas other than nugget hunting? Yes

I think both HF coils are nice to relic hunt with. Coin hunting in more modern trash sites not their strong suit. Older sites with little no modern trash IMO is stronger suit.

Elliptical HF coil

A super separator and deep for its size coil. Allows a user to run on 3 frequency bands centered on 14.kHz, 28.8khz and 74khz. A very good coil to hunt already hard hunted sites previously. Very quiet running even at higher sensitivity. Can be used to both hunt polluted sites of iron and nails as well as open field relic hunt. When this coil is fitted to Deus rod,. Very lightweight setup, user shouldn't expect a fatigue factor at all using. Coil if used in already hard hunted sites, users should beware a lot of nonferrous targets this coil signals on will try to trend tonally to the iron range sounding tone range. Remember hunting a hard hunted site would generally mean what's left is challenged. And this coil can unlock challenged nonferous yet not all signals textbook. This coil can be run with lower Reactivty like levels 2 or 2.5 and give outstanding separation. This coil by design offers great separation and depth with IMO reactivity level setting 2.5 is where this coil shines. This is not to infer lower or higher Reactivty settings won't help you discover nonferrous finds. But for BOTH separation and depth 2.5 Reactivty gets its done. The elliptical a HF coil can be a nuisance at times on some iron, and for whatever reason a nail vertical suspended in the ground, coil will fool a user with nice tone occassionally. But this is no reason not to consider this coil if interested. All things I have said about target ID, horseshoe shading, tones delivered apply to this coil. For prior experience Deus users using LF coils the learning curve for this coil is longer IMO vs the round 9" HF coil.

Round 9" HF coil

This coil white in color too. With the coil's battery inside the rod, when coil is mounted to rod and swept, its center of gravity moved, making it less nose heavy compare to the 9" LF coil. Allows user to run 3 frequency bands centered on 14.4khz, 28.8 kHz and 54 kHz. This coil reacts more closely to the way the 9" LF coil does vs the elliptical HF coil. The round HF is a very good separator and unmasker too. This coil can hunt behind 9" LF coil, 11" LF coil as well as the elliptical HF coil and find nonferrous objects. Very good depth. IMO Reactivty level 3 is where this coil shines in polluted sites, not suggesting other Reactivty levels won't help a person make finds. This coil when learned a user will dig less iron IMO vs the elliptical HF coil. (Same skill set for both coils)

Separation capability can be increased by running the 2 higher frequency bands. But I should point out using the highest band 54 kHz some depth can be sacrificed vs using 28.8 khz band.

Coin hunting using HF coils

Can it be done?

Yes

I have done in fact. Users if they choose good idea to stay with lower freq band. Why? Because when you run the other 2 higher bands ID of targets get very compressed at the high end. Example here, using 28.8 kHz. A pull tab with ring attached will ID (if not too deep) with 89/90 in the meter. Remember there are a lot of other junk targets conductive wise that fit in between lower conductive pull tabs w rings and say silver coins.

So all the more worthy higher conductive targets ID between 92-99. And using the highest bands on both HF coils, this what I said above is even more aggravated. Loads of things would ID 90 plus in the meter. One possible strategy using the coils in sites looking for coins (I have been sucessful btw) is to dig only targets that give no ID or iron range ID. Why? These targets likely either deeper or more masked.

What about the gold field program on the HF coils?

Remember I don't gold nugget hunt, but today in fact I used the gold field program using both HF coils in an old site with little modern trash. My take. All relic hunters period should highly consider trying. I liked what I saw today, especially considering how much prior Deus action this patch has seen. Today was first run here in gold field. Thanks Dave H. for posting. Using gold field today I kept freq at 28.8 kHz IAR setting at max of 5. I really liked what I heard as far as how the detector was sounding for this monster polluted site of iron and nails. I did make some finds too, coin sized and some even smaller. I am sharing this here. I call this preliminary data, and with more use of gold field I will if Inotice anything worthy of reporting I will come back here and add or amend as needed. Btw gold field program using HF coils different performance here vs gold field program using 9" LF coil. I haven't tested or used 11" LF coil version 4 in gold field program.

It is my opinion based solely on my use and testing of 9" round HF coil and the 9" LF coil, all relic hunters will see better performance in the field using the round HF coil. I am not telling anyone here to buy anything, just give my opinion based on evdence I have witnessed personally.

To conclude this thread as far as my intent to help new detectorist and those new to Deus, GOOD LUCK. I encourage ALL after some field use of their units to come back and and review. SEE if anything you are hearing and seeing mirrors or resembles anything I have said in this thread.

I encourage folks to read the info in the following link as it pertains to the latest current software version update Deus V4.1.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/d...comparison-data-test-actual-targets-wild.html

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tnsharpshooter, I got my Deus November or so 2016. I read the manual. I have two words of advice for any new Deus owners. Read the manual and go out and buy one of the clips for an extra. The "spring" on it is plastic and they will fail. I think I"m too rough with my clip and have broken two so far.

I am not very tech saavy. The Deus folks made this machine just for people like me. I used to use several of the modes, and mainly rely on Deus Fast. I got the high frequency coil, and with that combination have been killing it this past year. Now granted, some of the targets could have been found with a tin can on a stick with a pie plate attached to a 9 volt battery. They were on top of the ground or just under it. HOWEVER, I pulled a 1" x 2" brass buckle slightly on edge from a site yesterday at a full 9". I was really impressed with the performance as it was a solid signal.

I generally use the thing "out of the box" and now use the HF elliptical coil almost exclusively. These things are a lot of fun. It surely can be used as a turn and go machine. I'm with you on youtube videos, any video can be made to show exactly what the photographer wants you to see. I see them as entertainment but shake my head at most of them. I especially "liked" the one where the wheaties the digger pulled out of the ground had zero corrosion on them. I saw one put up as a prank a few years ago, this guy finds one after another huge American Indian spear points, beauties, out of the same hole. He put up a disclaimer as the video was fake, I really enjoyed that one. It was very well done. And if hear OMG one more time, I'm going to barf. I also don't like being talked down to on them and please, 20 of the whatever it is in the same 10' area! Come on!

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tnsharpshooter, I got my Deus November or so 2016. I read the manual. I have two words of advice for any new Deus owners. Read the manual and go out and buy one of the clips for an extra. The "spring" on it is plastic and they will fail. I think I"m too rough with my clip and have broken two so far.

I am not very tech saavy. The Deus folks made this machine just for people like me. I used to use several of the modes, and mainly rely on Deus Fast. I got the high frequency coil, and with that combination have been killing it this past year. Now granted, some of the targets could have been found with a tin can on a stick with a pie plate attached to a 9 volt battery. They were on top of the ground or just under it. HOWEVER, I pulled a 1" x 2" brass buckle slightly on edge from a site yesterday at a full 9". I was really impressed with the performance as it was a solid signal.

I generally use the thing "out of the box" and now use the HF elliptical coil almost exclusively. These things are a lot of fun. It surely can be used as a turn and go machine. I'm with you on youtube videos, any video can be made to show exactly what the photographer wants you to see. I see them as entertainment but shake my head at most of them. I especially "liked" the one where the wheaties the digger pulled out of the ground had zero corrosion on them. I saw one put up as a prank a few years ago, this guy finds one after another huge American Indian spear points, beauties, out of the same hole. He put up a disclaimer as the video was fake, I really enjoyed that one. It was very well done. And if hear OMG one more time, I'm going to barf. I also don't like being talked down to on them and please, 20 of the whatever it is in the same 10' area! Come on!

I tried to explain in the thread above in what I think is simple terms.
Folks even considering a purchase may find helpful.
Deus, there is more to it than one will think.
It gives users far more info on buried targets than they may be thinking.
We as users need to be aware of this, and learn how to decipher when Deus is telling us, hey dummy there is something down there under the coil.
Yeah maybe this thread should be called "Deus for Dummies".
I being one of the dummies. Lol

I claim not to be an expert, just a user who shares what he has seen.

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very good post.
I think the most important thing is guys often think a detector is junk after using one a month or so. My 1st two detectors I dug everything in the ground on purpose then I learned how to tweak them and started over. With my AT Pro I never looked at the VDI because I knew by tone whether I should dig it. I don't care if a ring hit exactly on a nickle vdi it had it's own tone..I say for entry level detectors you need 100 hours to get decent results and higher price detectors over $1000 you need no less that 250 hours and that's a lot of 4 hours hunts but it pays off. I struggled with my V3i for almost 1-1/2 yrs. My E-trac has been easier but it's easier to mask what you don't want too.

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good post.
I think the most important thing is guys often think a detector is junk after using one a month or so. My 1st two detectors I dug everything in the ground on purpose then I learned how to tweak them and started over. With my AT Pro I never looked at the VDI because I knew by tone whether I should dig it. I don't care if a ring hit exactly on a nickle vdi it had it's own tone..I say for entry level detectors you need 100 hours to get decent results and higher price detectors over $1000 you need no less that 250 hours and that's a lot of 4 hours hunts but it pays off. I struggled with my V3i for almost 1-1/2 yrs. My E-trac has been easier but it's easier to mask what you don't want too.

Thanks.
Your post here is very telling and true!!

I want to say a few things here to maybe put things into perspective.
Some folks who detect may in their own minds think they are either slow learners or some of the folks on the different metal detecting forums who post about detectors are genius.

Well, first if folks will read what I posted about the comparing V4 Deus to V4.1 you will notice I admitted to using the round HF coil to actually locate targets to infact do comparisons.

What I am saying here.

You see these folks post about which detector is better or they have indeed unlocked a detector for it performance capabilities.

What they don't tell you is how they did this.
And by them not saying, they could be telling folks it was their pure genius or luck that got them to where they are.

You see if a person has one detector. And tries to learn. You are flying solo. You have nothing to tell you for instance if you are sweeping over targets and missing them. You are really into trial and error.

The person who has more detectors or maybe has some better performing detecrors, they can cheat.
They can locate what they think is a challenged target then place detector B over this target and see if it detects it.
If not they can start changing settings and see if they can find some useable/huntable settings to actually detect.
When this person does this multiple times then they have good info.

Then they talk about on Internet forums.

Lots of folks here and eslewhere could do this.

Just food for thought here.

Btw I am no genius.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing the information! :occasion14:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, for me it's not genius. My machine has done extremely well. One thing I picked up on a few months ago was on very deep, small good targets. A couple of my sites are farms without homesites on them but scattered Civil War items. In the "Deus Fast" mode, 28.8k frequency, 4 tones, rest of it factory settings I discovered a very, very deep musket ball or button would sound off as a mid tone or a squeak. If the signal repeated at all, I dug it. Got several minie balls, some round balls and buttons this way. There was no vdi as the targets were 8"-11" deep. My deepest target was 28". A 3 pound cannon ball. Those are pretty small. I read all the notes on the machine and posts, but really wouldn't know which direction to tweak it would be beneficial for me.

The addition of the elliptical HF coil has caught gold and buttons and such out of places I had hammered previously. Now the 74.4khz is getting the deep targets in the red Virginia iron laden clay that kills most vlf machines.

I don't coin shoot. I do not have much of a coin collection except what I have found. I have tried and programmed in some new programs for specialized use, the VA dirt an example, and they were a complete failure. There is so much iron where I dig there, Under a round 10" coil you can have 5-15 targets. I have removed a few hundred pounds of iron out of the place over the years. It still produces goodies.

I have wondered about the "deep" mode, but haven't had the time to try it yet.

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, for me it's not genius. My machine has done extremely well. One thing I picked up on a few months ago was on very deep, small good targets. A couple of my sites are farms without homesites on them but scattered Civil War items. In the "Deus Fast" mode, 28.8k frequency, 4 tones, rest of it factory settings I discovered a very, very deep musket ball or button would sound off as a mid tone or a squeak. If the signal repeated at all, I dug it. Got several minie balls, some round balls and buttons this way. There was no vdi as the targets were 8"-11" deep. My deepest target was 28". A 3 pound cannon ball. Those are pretty small. I read all the notes on the machine and posts, but really wouldn't know which direction to tweak it would be beneficial for me.

The addition of the elliptical HF coil has caught gold and buttons and such out of places I had hammered previously. Now the 74.4khz is getting the deep targets in the red Virginia iron laden clay that kills most vlf machines.

I don't coin shoot. I do not have much of a coin collection except what I have found. I have tried and programmed in some new programs for specialized use, the VA dirt an example, and they were a complete failure. There is so much iron where I dig there, Under a round 10" coil you can have 5-15 targets. I have removed a few hundred pounds of iron out of the place over the years. It still produces goodies.

I have wondered about the "deep" mode, but haven't had the time to try it yet.

The deep mode uses a different filter.
I have used.
Yes it can find deeper nonferrous.
But this comes with a tradeoff- Deus far more likely to sing on deeper nails and iron.

Now, I have limited time running V4.1 and LF coils using deep mode.

Some thing I have been pondering and hopefully be able to report on in the near future.
This
It seems to me running hot program for example, Deus tendency on deep iron, i Deus tries to sing on it using V4.1 ground sensitivty 6, if I switch the ground sensitivty 10 and the signal get better or is a tie it is infact deeper nail or iron.

So can ground sensitivty setting help here with deep mode?

Also I will post this here.
2 outings in places where I have hunted hard with V3.2 and V4.0 Deus.
I got signals ( rather static, hisses, just extremely flashes of glimmer of higher pitch tone) very weak volume.
I got these signals with ground sensitivty 6. Upon switching to ground sensitivty 10 what messy signal I had got worse of disappeared altogether. And the signals never did get higher volume when switching to GS 10. These targets not deeper, rather in the range of 5.5"-7" deep.
[/B] It may be entirely possible the ground sensitivity setting affect targets only in a zonal range depth wise. I don't have enough data to say one way or the other yet.
It is my opinion based on actual infield use detecting, Deus V4.1 with LF coils can alert a user morseso on smaller nonferrous, flat and tilted to on edge vs V4.0.

All consistent noise needs to be studied before considering walking off.
It seems the GS setting is letting the Deus be able to capture and let signal sneak through, even compromised signal that v4.0 wouldn't allow. Now, all the reporting on quality of signal is relative.
Meaning yes a junk sounding like Deus is trying to growl a little on deeper iron or nail, flat iron. Signals previously I wouldn't ever even think about digging. But this upping the GS setting and sweeping seems for whatever reason seems to let iron through if it exist, but not nonferous. Strange sounding but what I am seeing in the field. Now when comparing signals I look at the length of the signal,when comparing signals using GS 10 and 6. On the stronger volume reporting signals using GS 6, if the target is infact nonferrous, going to GS 10 the signal gets shorter or is chopped more. Ferrous seems not to change here.

If a suspect signal is weak, or static, using GS 6, going to GS 10 if it is nonferrous it will get worse or dissapear. As far as the getting worse here, it is a fine line, but listening and watching coil position and swing I can decipher.

I would almost bet the farm if the nonferrous has no ferrous around it, and you hear the weaker signal can contain static , using GS 6, and disappears altogher or gets a little worse going to GS 10,, expect when you dig to retrieve a flat find of some sort or an elongated small diameter find.

This below here, applies to all Deus coils both LF and HF coils.
Bottom line here for Deus users.
If a grunt is not heard, watch that target no matter how low (either or volume and pitch) it reports. A double grunt is always a welcome thing to hear- most likely never a nonferrous target, but this indicates elongate ferrous, meaning a person might pivot and bingo, nail a nestled nonferous laying near ferrous. Targets with hanging low tone with no grunt- watch those. And some reading here may be thinking about meter readings. You can FORGET about putting any stock in the meter whatsoever.

Something else here.
VERY important.
Coil finesse.
It is very important. Will come with practice. Being able to based on situation to be able to adjust your coil speed, and get it in the right spot(s) studying targets.
You can sweep too fast checking a suspect target, you can sweep too slow depending.
There is a middle ground here, again will come with actual experience.
When you start making those finds, that based on what you heard are surprising to you of their even existing-- you are definitely on the right track.
Would even be hard and watch a nicely put together you tube and learn how this is supposed to be done. The more challenged yet detectable will generally allow for less error.
This above is not really talking about locating targets. Rather gather Intel after a suspect target is located.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread