Pinpointer Recommendations for Tiny Targets?

Cuyamaca

May 2, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus
AT Pro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since getting my 9" HF round coil a few weeks ago I've been finding tiny targets @ 28 & 54 kHz. The only problem my 4 year old black Garrett Pro-Pointer cant detect them, so I'm having to do the hand sorting method in front of the coil.

How does the XP MI-6 pinpointer do with small targets like picker gold and small jewelry pieces? I was also considering the Minelab Pro-Find 35.

Thanks

Txop

Oct 21, 2017
North Texas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, X-terra with several coils, White's MXT, Whites Classic ID, Troy Shadow X2 (my first detector), and a carrot pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How small of pieces are you talking about. I am still using the original black Garrett and it detects mighty small stuff. Maybe your is not working correctly?

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does excellent, especially when the sensitivity is turned up all the way. It was able to pick up on my half gram nugget with no problem.

AR10

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it worth upgrading from a TRX compared to the MI-6?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use both the carrot and the Trx. They both drive me nuts with falsing!

Next time I'm gonna try the pulse induction pinpointer that First Texas just released. Very sensitive but not prone to falsing.

OP
OP
C

Cuyamaca

May 2, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus
AT Pro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How small of pieces are you talking about. I am still using the original black Garrett and it detects mighty small stuff. Maybe your is not working correctly?

It doesn't detect sub gram gold nuggets and small earrings. It's an original black Garrett which has always worked well on coins, but I think these targets are just too small.

After doing some more research it appears the White's Bullseye TRX Pinpointer is the e-ticket.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Garret pin pointer will find earring backs and B.B's I think yours needs work.Does your username Cuyamaca have anything to do with Lake Cuyamaca in SoCal I was born and raised in Julian.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Garret pin pointer will find earring backs and B.B's I think yours needs work.Does your username Cuyamaca have anything to do with Lake Cuyamaca in SoCal I was born and raised in Julian.

This may be the issue. The Old Black Pro Pointer is not near as sensitive as the new Garrett AT Pro Pointer Carrot.

Our Whites TRX Pin Pointer and Makro Pin Pointer are the most sensitive on nuggets though. The AT Pointer is VERY impressive though and my favorite all around.

Hope that helps some.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The MI-6 is as responsive as your new coil. Buy a magnifying glass to compliment it.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tek-Point is hot. You might want to try one. Don't know how tiny it will go, but a 2.8 grain piece of gold hits from about an inch (I did not measure). Didn't check to see how small a piece it can hit, but it hits that one hard (smaller than the end of a pencil eraser).

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread