DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
XP Deus 9" HF Elliptical Coil questions

Hey all! Its been awhile since I posted on here - we are frozen solid here in the area of Wisconsin I live for a good month yet.

I broke down and purchased the 9" HF elliptical coil last night. My thought process was since I was only going to buy one HF coil - this one offered me the most advantage since I already own the 9" LF.

My main targets are US coins - old US coins, as deep as I can find them. The sites I hunt are not too overloaded with trash, but enough pulltabs to make me not dig every signal in the pulltab range. Iron is there but again probably every 2-3 feet I hit a nail or two - nothing too intense. I typically pull out wheaties in the 6-8" range, sites typically in existence since the late 1800's/early 1900's.

Since I come from the minority that actually use/like "normalization" for target ID, im thinking im going to have to start learning to like full tones :( since the HF coils do not allow "normalization" of 18khz target ID's.

Here are my questions:

What frequency do you recommend for strictly coins, at depth?

How does the elliptical coil handle EMI compared to the 9" LF? If better - why?

Is there a noticeable detection depth loss between the 9" HF round versus elliptical HF?

Does the 9" LF go deeper on coins (all denominations) compared to the 9" HF Elliptical?

Have you noticed a more stable target ID on nickels on the HF versus the LF?

I look forward to hearing from all of you - can't wait until the 9" HF elliptical shows up this weekend sometime!

Last edited:

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all! Its been awhile since I posted on here - we are frozen solid here in the area of Wisconsin I live for a good month yet.

I broke down and purchased the 9" HF elliptical coil last night. My thought process was since I was only going to buy one HF coil - this one offered me the most advantage since I already own the 9" LF.

My main targets are US coins - old US coins, as deep as I can find them. The sites I hunt are not too overloaded with trash, but enough pulltabs to make me not dig every signal in the pulltab range. Iron is there but again probably every 2-3 feet I hit a nail or two - nothing too intense. I typically pull out wheaties in the 6-8" range, sites typically in existence since the late 1800's/early 1900's.

Since I come from the minority that actually use/like "normalization" for target ID, im thinking im going to have to start learning to like full tones :( since the HF coils do not allow "normalization" of 18khz target ID's.

Here are my questions:

What frequency do you recommend for strictly coins, at depth?

How does the elliptical coil handle EMI compared to the 9" LF? If better - why?

Is there a noticeable detection depth loss between the 9" round versus elliptical HF?

Does the 9" LF go deeper on coins (all denominations) than the 9" HF?

Have you noticed a more stable target ID on nickels on the HF versus the LF?

I look forward to hearing from all of you - can't wait until the 9" HF elliptical shows up this weekend sometime!
For deep coins, I'd go with the lowest frequency. As for depth, I've never had the 9" LF coil. But the 9" HF has comparable depth to the 11" from what I've seen. Also, it's a lot less prone to EMI than the 11". Hope this helps.

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wait, you said elliptical... Sorry about that. The elliptical isn't as deep as the 9" round HF. But boy can it sound off on the good targets in super trashy areas.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered the elliptical coil tonight. I thought it would be a bigger difference as I already use the nine round and wish to revisit old haunts with new tools.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either HF coil is a whole new ballgame compared to the LF coils. I haven't put an LF coil back on since I got the round in July and followed it up with the Elliiptical in Nov. They are both great. You can get "normal" deep high conductor performance at the "low" 13 to 14 khz frequency and then hit hard on mid-conductors at the higher frequencies. But what I and others have found, is that at 28 khz, especially for relics, they both are just beasts. They clean up and even snag relatively deep high conductors. I guess because they separate so well at that frequency. At the highest Frequency YMMV but Smokey the Cat has just cleaned up with the elliptical running at both 28 and 74 khz. Incredible finds in stock Deus Fast mode. You won't be disappointed.

OP
OP
DeepDigs

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Either HF coil is a whole new ballgame compared to the LF coils. I haven't put an LF coil back on since I got the round in July and followed it up with the Elliiptical in Nov. They are both great. You can get "normal" deep high conductor performance at the "low" 13 to 14 khz frequency and then hit hard on mid-conductors at the higher frequencies. But what I and others have found, is that at 28 khz, especially for relics, they both are just beasts. They clean up and even snag relatively deep high conductors. I guess because they separate so well at that frequency. At the highest Frequency YMMV but Smokey the Cat has just cleaned up with the elliptical running at both 28 and 74 khz. Incredible finds in stock Deus Fast mode. You won't be disappointed.

I appreciate the input V, thank you! The hardest part will be waiting another month to use it [emoji16]

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I too love my HF coils but my favorite is the Elliptical Coil. I find it to be stable and quiet compared to my other LF coils. The elliptical coil seems quieter than my Hf round coil as well, to me anyway.
Have fun with your new coil and best of luck.

OP
OP
DeepDigs

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too love my HF coils but my favorite is the Elliptical Coil. I find it to be stable and quiet compared to my other LF coils. The elliptical coil seems quieter than my Hf round coil as well, to me anyway.
Have fun with your new coil and best of luck.

Thanks Rusty, she’s coming in tomorrow, looks like I’ll be air testing another month until the ground thaws :)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been invited to a few sites recently in several states. I had some people at my favorite CW site and the favors were returned. Now almost every site out there has been hit before, and if someone in the hobby invites you, or you invite them, be assured they have at least walked part of the site. Using the HF coil and 28k and 74k, I was able to punch through the iron junk and pull some very nice targets at depth. In a general field where targets can be scattered, I use the 28k. In a house site with a lot of iron, I use the 74k. I call it the laser setting. I have been pulling tiny items some only 1/8" across at depths of 6". (These are modern buck shot and it's annoying.) Average size of a 6-8" brass or lead target is 1/4", like a colonial tack or a colonial buckshot.
Colonial coppers at over 12". Civil War cuff buttons at 8-10". I use the standard Deus fast program. Tracking for ground balance. And just go slow where I know there was a house due to the iron in the ground. The little laser is great.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smokey is the master with 74 kh......

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I killed it today with the 74khz in a camp that has been hunted since the 1960's. Virginia button, kepi letter "A", other goodies. Will put something up tomorrow. Only drawback with that frequency on this site, horrid Culpeper red devil dirt, is it picks up "hot" rocks that don't respond on any other frequency or machine. There is iron and native gold in them. Not enough to mine however. I'm sure if you had a big enough hammer mill you could recover the gold, but it is tiny. The cost of admission to the goodies is to remove the blasted rocks and look under them. I have never had this issue any other place. But the rocks mentioned are the fallen chimneys from the Union 6th Corps huts from 1864. Poor cat!

OP
OP
DeepDigs

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Deep, I hope you’ve got some thawed ground to try out that awesome new coil. Best of luck!
Rusty

OP
OP
DeepDigs

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Deep, I hope you’ve got some thawed ground to try out that awesome new coil. Best of luck!
Rusty

Rusty my friend, I have all my gear charged and sitting in the case, so hard to be hamstrung by Mother Nature. I’m thinking at least 2 more weeks until I can get out and get digging!

In the meantime, I ordered the MI-6 to play around with until I can get out and swing. Im also working on a coins program using the pitch program CD shared with us yesterday.

ILdigger

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2018
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
XPDEUS
ATMAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For deep coins, I'd go with the lowest frequency. As for depth, I've never had the 9" LF coil. But the 9" HF has comparable depth to the 11" from what I've seen. Also, it's a lot less prone to EMI than the 11". Hope this helps.

If I can get 11"LF coil depths with a 9"HF, I guess that will be my next upgrade. My Elliptical should be here tomorrow.. WHOOT WHOOT. Thanks for all the great info guys.

detectorguy

Jan 10, 2013
Sacramento Ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Xp
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the 9" HF elliptical coil for the xp deus and love it. I set it on the 15 khz and one of the first things I found was a gold ring. I can go into the trashiest areas and find something good in the mess. It separates better than any coil I have found so far. I put it on my machine and have not gone back to the stock coil since I put it on.
I think it is more stable than the stock coil.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I got the 9" HF elliptical coil for the xp deus and love it. I set it on the 15 khz and one of the first things I found was a gold ring. I can go into the trashiest areas and find something good in the mess. It separates better than any coil I have found so far. I put it on my machine and have not gone back to the stock coil since I put it on.
I think it is more stable than the stock coil.
The HF Coils are the only ones I use. They’re perfect in every way. Good luck!

ri2020

Greenie
Jan 16, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have elliptical coil and x35 11 coil, cant deside if I should buy additional hf9 round coil or not?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have elliptical coil and x35 11 coil, cant deside if I should buy additional hf9 round coil or not?

I primarily use my 9" round HF as my go to primary coil. Elliptical for tight spots and my 11" x35 for max depth and swing coverage. The 9" HF is a great gap filler between those two coils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread