Full tones or pitch for relics? What I use and why.. my new relic program

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Well worth the popcorn Calabash. Very informative. Pitch mode and high frequencies are killer in the iron. I know what I'll be experimenting with this weekend. Thanks!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very informative and in layman terms. I see you added even more to your video and I liked it. When you understand that something works, even though it goes against what was once taught, it can be a true game changer. each of the Frequencies have a place for us as detectorists and as we learn where and how we can use them, they become more of a usable tool for us. really cool. I have always like how you prove something works or doesn't work to yourself until you gain the confidence to believe one way or another. Thanks again my Friend. DL

ILdigger

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2018
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
XPDEUS
ATMAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BOOM!!! This setup smacks the target and the operator. I have been waiting on this one. Thank you for all the videos.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome point on the nail head chirping. Thanks! I always remember you said check out any 6 TID in full tones 2 years ago. Never forgot it.

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for another great video Calabash!

Btw, how do you run your ground balance? Tracking, or manual?

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
manual, never run tracking in thick iron. The iron will throw it off trom what I understand. I have always ran manual. Veferrari might chime in on tracking.....

scuba1954

Greenie
Oct 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love your videos they have been sooo helpful. What is the base program that you started with for this custom program?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do use tracking even in thick iron with the HF coils and don't seem to suffer any I'll effects, but I also hunt in more highly mineralized soil than CD and even on a postage stamp sized site can have fairly significant swings in ground phase numbers due to the variations in mineralization and other soil factors that determine ground phase. Like not to have to be thinking of rebalancing on top of picking through the trash which requires a high level of brain discrimination. In fact, it does tire you out after awhile suffering from iron tone fatigue.

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Another very informative video CD
You come through for us as usual.

I know you can see it to, but your controller protectors glare keeps us from seeing the screen.
Maybe take it off when you do the information videos.
Just a thought...
Thank you for doing them.

ILdigger

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2018
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
XPDEUS
ATMAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was this Program Based directly off the PITCH PROGRAM or did you just change the Deus Fast too use Pitch? Thanks for all You do CD.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably Deus Fast with tones switched to Pitch. That's what I did. Deus fast is the basis for most of my customization because it turns off silencer.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably Deus Fast with tones switched to Pitch. That's what I did. Deus fast is the basis for most of my customization because it turns off silencer.

you nailed it I built it off fast...Vferrari what are the differences between the one you came up with and the one I use?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you nailed it I built it off fast...Vferrari what are the differences between the one you came up with and the one I use?

It is basically the exact same program. I run it at 28 or higher and vary reactivity and may sometimes lower disc to 6 or 8 but mainly keep it at 10 now. One thing I have not experimented a lot on is lowering sensitivity a la the sifter program to see what that does.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet it would knock out some of the chirps on nail heads ???

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I bet it would knock out some of the chirps on nail heads ???

I actually tried lowering the Sensitivity to see if it got rid of those chirps. It did somewhat help but not nearly as much as did raising the Reactivity to 2.5 or 3. But I haven't checked the lower Sensitivity affect on nail heads in situ at a cellar hole yet. Hopefully this weekend. My fear is I would start missing those small targets or small profile targets if I lower the Sens too much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ill take the chirps because when it does go over a non ferrous it screams!

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried it out at a site I've hit at least once a month for the past three years. Every time I get a new detector, coil or have a new program I want to try out on an Iron infested site I go there. It was a little hard to get used to at first since everything sounds like a high tone when you first start out, but when you find something hidden in the nails it really jumps out. It did give me a lot of false highs on larger iron, but once I figured that out I just checked the target with one of my full tone programs and I could tell it was too big to be just masking another target. My first good find was an 1868 shield nickel in a hole with a fencing nail. I also found two flat buttons and several other mid to high conductors in holes with nails. Thanks for the tip!

thumbnail.jpg codorus.jpg

bmason44

Greenie
Mar 14, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett AT Pro, DEUS
I also loaded up your pitch program with the round HF coil and hit an old 1820's hotel/carriage stop. This place has been pounded for years and years. Listened for the high squeaks and dug. I was shocked to pull this Virginia Button clear up here in North Eastern Ohio. Also dug a couple old work bibb buttons. Really appreciate all the valuable info shared on this site. Great relic program. Thanks and good luck hunting. 20180305_134235.jpg 20180305_134423.jpg 20180305_135130.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread