Earbuds For Deus And Other Metal Detectors

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm looking for some wired earbuds that have some passive noise cancelling. I bought some online and they worked great except that the volume control didn't work and I had to send them back. They had the little ear hooks that fit into the outer ear to hold them securely in place. My Backphones don't knock out enough of the surrounding noise and full cup headphones are way too hot to wear this time of year. With my WS4 puck with a plug adopter I'm good to go if I can find a good set of earbuds with noise cancelling and that have a volume control that works. Any info and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

tabman

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tabman,

Do you need the volume control to turn down the volume? The reason I ask is because passive earbuds with volume controls are usually just in-line resistors which can ONLY attenuate the volume coming out of the source, they can't amplify it (i.e., you can't make the output sound louder with a passive volume control). If you simply need something to turn down the volume, the WS4 module volume control should work even if the ear buds do not have a volume control. If you need the external volume control as a more convenient means to turn down the volume from the WS4, I have used the wired buds with resistive volume control below, couldn't tell you if they passively isolate better than the WS4 backphones but they fit right in your ear. If you need something to boost volume into the earbuds then you will need an active external amplifier. HTH.

https://www.amazon.com/Jabra-SPORT-...&ie=UTF8&qid=1526222438&sr=1-9&keywords=jabra

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The lowest volume setting on WS4 is still a little to loud for me when using the Backphones and also I'd like to use the buds on other detectors that don't have a volume control. Volume isn't the problem, it's TOO much volume that's the problem.

tabman

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then the recommended buds may help. They will certainly attenuate the WS4 volume but not sure if they will isolate as much as you need because they don't go into the ear canal.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the earbuds don't fit into the ear canal they can't be much good at noise cancelling.

tabman

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May not be for you, can only tell you about what I've tried. My ear canals are too small for buds that go into the canal, so if I want noise cancelling I go active. The ones I recommended completely cover the canal opening so they work for me. Doing a search on wired/corded + Ear buds + noise cancelling + analog volume control + ear clips is pretty specific but also very difficult to find now in the world of wireless, active noise cancelling BT headsets. The following items popped up and appear to meet all or most of your above needs but I can't vouch for them or the storefront but provide them for your info. HTH:

Kmeets Wired Earphones Sports Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling, In Ear Headphones with Microphone Sweatproof Stereo Volume Control Earhook for Gym Workout Running Driving Cycling (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B693333/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Guh-AbHKDNZ11

Sports Earhook Headphones In Ear Headphones workout headphones Waterproof Earphone Stereo 3.5mm Jack Headphone with Mic for Running Gym Jogging Earphones for iPod iPhone Samsung(Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073F5WRRD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Fvh-AbKG05RT1

Dislot Wired Earphones In ear Headphones Sports/ Running/ Gym/ Exercise/ Sweatproof/ Earbuds with Microphone, For IPhone, IPad, Android Smartphones, Mp3/mp4 Player, Tablet, Etc. (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXD01AI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_pwh-Ab21VHZ4D

ROVKING Running Headphones Over Ear In Ear Noise Isolating Sweatproof Sport Earbuds Earphones with Remote and Mic Earhook Wired Stereo Workout Ear Buds for Jogging Gym for iPhone iPod Samsung Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H3CQ5ZG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4wh-AbBPNFT87

Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use regular cheap earbuds with my remote and I forget that I can turn the volume down with the remote. it can be nice to not hear a train passing by as well or even an 18 wheeler but it can be challenging to talk to someone else. on the other hand, my hearing is not what it used to be and so the earbuds are necessary. I have a rather large head and the muff types are both too tight if they fit at all and too hot so it is earbuds.

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not want anything that completely took away form me hearing what is going on around me as I detect. Snakes and vermin on four and two legs being the concern. Don't want anyone or anything being able to sneak up me; already zoned out enough as it is.

I use a nice pair of Shure wired earbuds (in ear) with the Deus and they cut just enough of the outside sound with out isolating me completely from what is going on. I don't detect near busy highways or trains often enough to worry about not hearing signals.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the info! I found some more good info by googling 'wired earbuds metal detector'. I learned a little about the importance of ohm impedance.

BTW, if there's any slight ambient noise whatsoever in the area that you're detecting (noise from distant lawn mowers, leaf blowers, car traffic etc.), even if you're not wearing headphones it's almost impossible to hear someone walk up behind you that's in the grass, on concrete or asphalt unless you have super human hearing. So it's best to keep your head on a swivel and your eyes peeled for danger.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread