Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to my Civil War site yesterday, which is a bunch of old homesites in Savannah and jacked up the discrimination with the HF round coil to 57 using Frequency 14kHz and 2.5 Reactivity at about 5" deep (disc has no affect on depth for my coil). Found this nice old 10K class ring in the corner of curb strip. Someone many years ago must have lost this while visiting Savannah?

2018-08-03 09.18.01.jpg 2018-08-03 09.18.36 HDR.jpg 2018-08-02 17.37.46.jpg

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I went back to my Civil War site yesterday, which is a bunch of old homesites in Savannah and jacked up the discrimination with the HF round coil to 57 using Frequency 14kHz and 2.5 Reactivity at about 5" deep (disc has no affect on depth for my coil). Found this nice old 10K class ring in the corner of curb strip. Someone many years ago must have lost this while visiting Savannah?

View attachment 1618370 View attachment 1618371 View attachment 1618372

Nice ring. Congrats. What did it ring up on the Deus?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find but I will caution that cranking disc that high severely limits depth. I would recommend notching instead as that has no effect on depth. I seldom crank disc above 10. 20 is known to cause depth loss.

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find but I will caution that cranking disc that high severely limits depth. I would recommend notching instead as that has no effect on depth. I seldom crank disc above 10. 20 is known to cause depth loss.

I actually have done some extensive testing with disc and notch in the field. Using both at the same time is not good for my machine, but I have tested them individually. What I have come up with (and you can try this if you want) is that disc only sets the limits of ferrous(iron). Notching does something else and I don’t get as good of a signal for some reason. I have no ill affects on depth with high disc setting. If the conductivity of the target is above the disc setting then the Deus will see it even at depth. Notching for some reason messes up the signal even for targets with a conductivity above the notch setting. Almost every target’s conductivity rises as it gets deeper, so notching the high conductivities is also going to kill deep targets.

I only like the high disc setting in modern trash infestation. I like the 57 conductivity setting because it gets nickels and most gold but sets lower conductive targets (trash) to sound off like iron. I set the iron vol to at least 1 all the time.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
If you are using discrimination and still snagging smashed gold rings, you are doing something right! Congratulations on a fine hunt.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
way cool old class ring and it has that old look to it. interesting info too, I can see it working up to a point but then the finer (smaller) gold would be lost, correct?

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
way cool old class ring and it has that old look to it. interesting info too, I can see it working up to a point but then the finer (smaller) gold would be lost, correct?

Yeah, you would have to do some testing to see what falls under the disc setting. From my experience it’s all based on the conductivity of the target. Also factor in other metal targets in close proximity to the desired target. So if disc is set at 50 then any metal target passing over the coil with a conductivity of 50 or less will sound like iron. With the Deus you can control the iron volume and tone. Set them low for iron and high for everything else and the good targets pop.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done my man!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you would have to do some testing to see what falls under the disc setting. From my experience it’s all based on the conductivity of the target. Also factor in other metal targets in close proximity to the desired target. So if disc is set at 50 then any metal target passing over the coil with a conductivity of 50 or less will sound like iron. With the Deus you can control the iron volume and tone. Set them low for iron and high for everything else and the good targets pop.

The iron volume is only present when in multi-tones or pitch (but not full tones - regardless of iron volume setting). I plan to do some testing to see how disc and notch affect target signal and depth at your suggestion. Can you tell me what you were running in terms of tones? Sorry if I missed it, but I can't find it reading back through the thread. More detail in the post below. Very interesting results you are having with high disc and it just makes me scratch my head and doubt what I thought I knew about disc and notch. Being told in Andy's handbook and bootcamp and that high disc settings affect depth and backed up by videos demonstrating the effect in his bootcamp, I never have even tried running notch above 15.. Now I gotta figure it out on my own based on what your experience has been. Lol. Thanks (more below).

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually have done some extensive testing with disc and notch in the field. Using both at the same time is not good for my machine, but I have tested them individually. What I have come up with (and you can try this if you want) is that disc only sets the limits of ferrous(iron). Notching does something else and I don’t get as good of a signal for some reason. I have no ill affects on depth with high disc setting. If the conductivity of the target is above the disc setting then the Deus will see it even at depth. Notching for some reason messes up the signal even for targets with a conductivity above the notch setting. Almost every target’s conductivity rises as it gets deeper, so notching the high conductivities is also going to kill deep targets.

I only like the high disc setting in modern trash infestation. I like the 57 conductivity setting because it gets nickels and most gold but sets lower conductive targets (trash) to sound off like iron. I set the iron vol to at least 1 all the time.

First of all, finds don't lie and that was an awesome find and I am not here to take anything away from a great save, just seeking to learn and be a better detectorist with my equipment so bare with me. At 66-67 it was a borderline mid to high conductive target (due to composition and bulk metal it was leaning to the high conductor side vs. higher purity gold jewelry). Even with cranked disc, 5" is not unreasonable depth and 14 khz was probably a good frequency for that particular target, so I am not surprised it rang up even with high disc. I think the depth loss effect is more pronounced on high conductive silver (90's or higher).

But I am really scratching my head here on what you are saying about your testing because it just throws everything out the window on what I thought I knew about disc and notch on the Deus.

Specifically, notching shouldn't affect the signal at all because it is just audio and tid suppression AFTER target filtering (by disc and/or reactivity/silencer). Disc typically affects iron and then non-ferrous target depth as you increase it above the iron range (typically tid's greater than 20) (even non-ferrous conductors well above the disc setting, i.e., high conductors).

If you are able to hear the "iron" (using iron volume) in the disc range you must be running pitch or multi vice full tones (full tones has no iron volume and completely silences in the disc range) and perhaps the notch is affecting the tone breaks (I couldn't find where you mentioned the type of tone/pitch you were using - multi tone (5, 4, 3, ?), full tones, or pitch). Forgot to ask above, but if you are running multi tones, can you give me the TID tone breaks, too? I want to replicate your settings as much as possible. Also need reactivity and silencer settings.

Calabash just ran a video a few weeks ago with someone who had disc set all the way up to 40 or something like that and you could not get a peep out of his test garden's deep high conductors that would typically ring up well above 40. He has mild soil, so depth was definitely affected.

Not disputing your testing or results (you typically just kill it with some awesome finds at your GA home base, so who am I to argue with success), but your situation appears atypical and runs counter to how the Deus is "supposed" to behave, so I am curious to find out what is going on because I don't want to be spreading bad info. Maybe I am losing my Deus mojo from too much Equinoxing. Lol.

Therefore, I will definitely run some tests on my own with a variety of conductors with your settings and observations in mind and report back on how high disc settings affect depth and how notch affects depth (it shouldn't) in my soil.

You probably posted your results previously on this awhile back, do you have a post reference so I can see what was going on with your testing? Thanks.

It would be good if Calabash and/or Tnsharpsooter would weigh in on this because they are the test garden kings on the Deus. A lot of what I know is based on their test results.

Again, great snag.

HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a short video in my test garden showing high disc setting vs low disc setting on some silver coins and a clad nickel.

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, finds don't lie and that was an awesome find and I am not here to take anything away from a great save, just seeking to learn and be a better detectorist with my equipment so bare with me. At 66-67 it was a borderline mid to high conductive target (due to composition and bulk metal it was leaning to the high conductor side vs. higher purity gold jewelry). Even with cranked disc, 5" is not unreasonable depth and 14 khz was probably a good frequency for that particular target, so I am not surprised it rang up even with high disc. I think the depth loss effect is more pronounced on high conductive silver (90's or higher).

But I am really scratching my head here on what you are saying about your testing because it just throws everything out the window on what I thought I knew about disc and notch on the Deus.

Specifically, notching shouldn't affect the signal at all because it is just audio and tid suppression AFTER target filtering (by disc and/or reactivity/silencer). Disc typically affects iron and then non-ferrous target depth as you increase it above the iron range (typically tid's greater than 20) (even non-ferrous conductors well above the disc setting, i.e., high conductors).

If you are able to hear the "iron" (using iron volume) in the disc range you must be running pitch or multi vice full tones (full tones has no iron volume and completely silences in the disc range) and perhaps the notch is affecting the tone breaks (I couldn't find where you mentioned the type of tone/pitch you were using - multi tone (5, 4, 3, ?), full tones, or pitch). Forgot to ask above, but if you are running multi tones, can you give me the TID tone breaks, too? I want to replicate your settings as much as possible. Also need reactivity and silencer settings.

Calabash just ran a video a few weeks ago with someone who had disc set all the way up to 40 or something like that and you could not get a peep out of his test garden's deep high conductors that would typically ring up well above 40. He has mild soil, so depth was definitely affected.

Not disputing your testing or results (you typically just kill it with some awesome finds at your GA home base, so who am I to argue with success), but your situation appears atypical and runs counter to how the Deus is "supposed" to behave, so I am curious to find out what is going on because I don't want to be spreading bad info. Maybe I am losing my Deus mojo from too much Equinoxing. Lol.

Therefore, I will definitely run some tests on my own with a variety of conductors with your settings and observations in mind and report back on how high disc settings affect depth and how notch affects depth (it shouldn't) in my soil.

You probably posted your results previously on this awhile back, do you have a post reference so I can see what was going on with your testing? Thanks.

It would be good if Calabash and/or Tnsharpsooter would weigh in on this because they are the test garden kings on the Deus. A lot of what I know is based on their test results.

Again, great snag.

HH

Yes, I'm running a custom 2 tone program from Deus Fast. The first tone is Disc (iron) and the second is desirable metal target with conductivity above Disc setting.

You can check out my quick video in my test garden showing Disc 57 and Disc 10 below. I couldn't hear or see any difference in signal.

Notching is another animal. Maybe I will do another test video on notching another time? The Deus is still the best machine out there IMO. This back and forth on this forum with you, Calabash, TN and others is amazing (and fun). New Deus users that read these forums and watch Calabash's videos should be able to set up the machine and learn to be successful in a short amount of time. I wish I had had this information 2 years ago when I purchased my first Deus. Nice work to everyone on this Deus forum.

Thanks for looking.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff. Thanks for the video! Those were go/no-go tests so it is hard to tell what the ultimate depth you could get in your soil. But heck, 10" seems pretty much like it is near the limit of detectability anyway (in ground). I will have to try this with a sliding target air test to see what the limit of detectability would be for each setting and will use pitch to get a better idea whether there is a degradation in signal strength. One thing I noticed was that you were using Audio Response of 5 which eliminates any depth-based modulation on target volume. Still I would have expected disc 10 to hit those targets hard and Disc 57 to not get a peep, so big surprise to me. That just makes me shake my head. I will do both notch and disc to see what happens in my test. Still don't quite understand why disc + notch messes up your detector. Two mysteries to solve. Ha. Meanwhile, go get some more rings and relics while I kick this around. Lol.

I love the back and forth too, always learn something new from the folks around here. Makes it fun when you can't otherwise be swinging a coil.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, congratulations! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread