Audio Response ?

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, did some relic hunting after work tonight and tried some testing on audio response 6 instead of 5 and noticed deeper signals had a good punch that 4 & 5 were missing. Anyone else go that high with audio response? I also noticed i could get a decent perception of depth even at 6. Any drawbacks to going that high?

Thanks

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that is pretty much how it is supposed to work. 6 means that you will get no difference in signal modulation for deep or shallow targets. 4 to 5 give slightly lower modulation on deep targets. 1 gives a full range of tone modulations based on perceived depth of the target. I personally like to keep Audio response at 4 or 5 to give a little modulation to the signal based on depth. Anything lower makes deeper (or Deus perceived Deeper) targets difficult to hear. 6 makes everything sound shallow so it takes away the booming signal you might get from a shallow junk target like a can that doesn't quite trip the overload threshold. I prefer to get that stronger shallow signal modulation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iffy Signals

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback V. I was wondering if anyone else went as high as 6 or 7. The reason i like it is because you can do all the tests you want in a test garden and be able to hear faint signals. I have watched the XP Skill School videos where Gary shows a target with a faint whisper at AR 3 and likes it. In the relic world hunting woods or old large farms where your swinging pretty quick you have one shot. One split second, one swing or the taget is missed. I would suggest people try testing with one swing. If you dont get a POP that registers in your brain to stop and investigate you need to adjust something if you can. When i starting testing with one swing over the target i was amazed at the targets i could be missing.

Last edited:

jdiggs_treasure

Jan 12, 2013
northern california
Detector(s) used
Xp deus 11"x35/9"HF roundl/Mi6
Minelab equinox 800 11"& 6" coils
Killer b wasp headphones
Whites prostars
garrett carrot
Predator ranger shovel/raptor digger
Lesche t handle/ hand digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm usually running my audio response at 4 or 5. on occasion I like to try 3... just depends on the mood im in and the ground conditions...

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 or 5 for me and tent to stick with 4. I like the nuance of 4. I can hear 12 inch coins good here with that setting. Of course I have magic soil!

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening, I tried audio response 4 today for the first time and I really don’t like it... To me, everything sounds loud and huge. I was running 3 ever since I purchased the XP Deus, but was advised to run higher. I came to the Deus from the AT Pro, a machine that I knew like the back of my hand. I guess that my question is; do any of you feel like or can prove that you’ve missed a target due to running AR too low? My hearing is perfect, and I’ve got the WS5 headphones and have already found deep coins. I am rocking v5.2 with an 11 inch LF coil. I don’t have the hours on the XP Deus to speak with any degree of authority, but sometimes I miss the subtleties of the AT Pro.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a preference, people have made a suggestion, if it doesn't work for you don't feel you have to justify to others why you don't want to keep using it. Folks have told you why they prefer it and they will keep using that setting because that is what they are used to, so no harm going back to AR 3. We are talking very fine shades of gray at this point. It is not a critical performance parameter so feel free to go back to the setting that works best for you. It's ok.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use 4 or 5 because I hunt relics on sites where they can be deep and it makes them louder . If I hunted coins on a modern site with shallow trash I would run 3 too. Like V said it depends on personal preference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread